Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester

Posted by: ziawalker

Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 29/06/11 12:35 PM

Doing the C2C in September. Please let me know if 52.50 for a one way ticket from Scarborough to Manchester on Sunday, Sept 18 would be a good price or should I keep watching rates. I paid 25.50 for a ticket from Manchester to St Bees. Thank you.
Posted by: Harland

Re: Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 29/06/11 01:02 PM

Not sure where you are looking but the standard price is 42.10. You are likely to get it at 16.50 if you keep looking, perhaps the reduced tickets will come out on 1st July.
Posted by: slowcoach

Re: Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 29/06/11 02:03 PM

The best prices are usually available 12 weeks in advance via one of the major operators (virgin/trainline etc) websites.

It is also worthwhile pricing up the journey as two singles, Scarborough to Leeds and Leeds to Manchester. This will be on the same train but there is a chance that it could be a little cheaper.
Posted by: flatlands

Re: Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 29/06/11 02:06 PM

I got 2 singles from Stockton to York and back on two advance ticket, a week before the York Cycle Show. Cost 14.

Keep checking the rail website near the time, you may get a advance ticket going cheap.
Posted by: Memphian

Re: Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 29/06/11 10:37 PM

On 3 August last year, I bought two Scarborough to Manchester tickets for 11.50 each for travel on 29 September. Just lucky, I guess, because I sure wasn't able to make any since of the rail fare system.

Re: Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 30/06/11 06:33 AM

Keep checking the websites of the operators from 12 weeks in advance. If the price of either one single or two separate singles drops below, say 15/20, buy it. Keep trying for 6 weeks. After that go for the cheapest. It is really a type of lottery.
Posted by: RichardJ

Re: Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 30/06/11 08:42 AM

The old ones are the best ones . Timetables are published 12 weeks in advance, but cheap fairs often only ten weeks in advance, so wait another two weeks then look. For example today all tickets for 18th are 42, but look at the 4th Sept and the majority of the tickets are 12-16.

Re: Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 30/06/11 08:42 AM

and I meant fare.

Re: Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 30/06/11 08:15 PM

"Advance tickets are available from train operators up to 12 weeks before the date of travel. If you know where you're going and when, booking train tickets in advance can really help you to save money."

http://www.mytrainticket.co.uk/book-in-advance

Definitely 12 weeks!!!!!
Posted by: Geo

Re: Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 30/06/11 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ziawalker
Doing the C2C in September. Please let me know if 52.50 for a one way ticket from Scarborough to Manchester on Sunday, Sept 18 would be a good price or should I keep watching rates. I paid 25.50 for a ticket from Manchester to St Bees. Thank you.

Have you considered travelling by bus?
National Express, Sept 18th, Scarborough - Manchester, 4hrs 50min, 18 pounds 40.

Re: Train Tickets - Scarborough to Manchester - 02/07/11 08:24 PM

Definitely "up to 12 weeks"
Definitely "often only 10 weeks"