Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month?

Posted by: Redlesweb

Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 18/09/11 04:48 PM

Not posted on this site for a few years so good to be back.

Just back from completing the Tour du Mont Blanc and already thinking of my next walk. I figured it's about time I got my act together and planned a C2C for 2012. Now I am sure that this question has been asked any amount of times and I'm being a touch lazy by not looking through previous posts, however, I'm keen to hear what others consider to be the better/preferential time of year to complete this walk?

Redlesweb
Posted by: Slogger

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 18/09/11 07:36 PM

April for me.
Dave
Posted by: flatlands

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 18/09/11 10:41 PM

I'm planning a Coast to Coast too for 2012, probably May time or September.

April is a fair month, as this year was. But it is a gamble. I had August this year and a complete wash-out, just a gamble really.
Posted by: geofconnor

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 19/09/11 01:28 PM

It depends what you want. Weather can be good/lousy any month. April/May and September/Oct usually has less people therefore more choice in accommodation (but still book 6 months ahead). June/August is crowded but means you will meet/mix with more fellow walkers.

Walking on my own I enjoyed East-West late September for the relative solitude and only 4 rainy days. Doing it this year in July with two other friends West-East was a completely different experience, mixing/interacting with lots more people (also had only 3 hours of light rain).

Geof
Posted by: Janice & Rottie

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 19/09/11 01:41 PM

I would normally choose September for my LDPs. Trails are quieter, well trodden and usually drier because of the summer and as previoulsy mentioned, accommodation easier to book. Usually September is a settled month, but it hasn't been this year.
Posted by: slowcoach

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 20/09/11 05:50 PM

Although there are exceptions, the west tends to get a drier and sunnier spring whilst the east usually gets a drier and sunnier autumn. This is not a hard and foast rule, but a tendancy. The east has had a dry autumn up to this week, interspersed with the odd wet day. The west has been dampish. The Pennines are always wet!

So, if you want the rain behing you, go west to east in autumn or east to west in Spring. September is best for the heather being out, The late May bank holiday to the late August bank holiday is the busiest times whern accommodation often requires booking a long time in advance (unless you are camping)

Christman is usually quiet but you risk entombment in snowdrifts!
Posted by: ziawalker

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 22/09/11 07:17 PM

We walked September 2 to September 17, 2011 and we had terrible weather. Three days without rain, three days with pouring rain and the rest with off/on showers. We were told over and over that the best time is April/May. Personally, I wouldn't do it again until I saw the 30 day weather outlook even though that means booking at the last minute.

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 22/09/11 07:47 PM

In my opinion, the rain is far better than the humid heat that we had in late spring ..... assuming that you carry decent waterproofs!
Posted by: suffolk stroller

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 22/09/11 09:54 PM

We were walking same time as you - 2nd to 16th September, maybe our paths crossed. The weather was pretty bad but I think as others have said you really can't predict when we are going to get good/bad weather in this country. There were several good days so it could have been worse! Not sure you can rely on a 30 day forecast, they can't predict accurately that far ahead, and also if you were staying in B&B's you'd probably find them pretty much booked up by then.

I'm not sure that September is quieter than other months, according to the B&B's its often the most popular month, maybe towards the end of the month it may be quieter, but then you get the shorter days and the baggage transfer companies stop end Sept/beg Oct.

I agree that walking during a heatwave could pose different problems - if it had been 30C in the Lakes I doubt if I would have managed it!

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 23/09/11 07:11 AM

Once the schools and colleges return then those able to select their holidays at will turn out in their numbers. The first week or so in September are very popular starting times at each end so, from about the third week in Sep. numbers tail odd quite quickly.

The same applies just before the late May bank holiday. Immediately after this date then numbers start to build up.

So, if you have a choice of dates and wish to avoid the hordes, start before the end of May or from late September onwards.
Posted by: Calluna

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 23/09/11 09:37 AM

My choice would be May, (which is when I did it in 2010. I like the long days, the fresh greens of late Spring, lambs in the fields - and the best chance of clear weather in the Lakes for good photo's!

I think that late Spring is one of the best times to appreciate the beauty of the British countryside, the Ransomes will be in flower in Swaledale and the heat is not too oppressive yet (well, generally - there are exceptions some years!)

I'm getting all dreamy now *sigh*
Posted by: Reluctanttrucker

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 23/09/11 10:02 PM

We did Early June for the longer days, then didn't use all the daylight we had.
BUt we only had four days real rain,one night -4 and ice on the tent, and a few days where the desert was cooler.
Take your pick.
It's England. So you will get what you get.
Just be prepared.

and GOOD LUCK
Posted by: rogere

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 26/09/11 10:04 AM

Calluna

What is a Ramsome? Is it a local name for a type of plant in Swaledale? I've certainly never heard of it.

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 26/09/11 04:54 PM

Hi Rogere

It is another name for wild garlic - a pretty common plant found in damp ground. I always think of Swaledale because they were in full bloom (and smell) when I walked through some woods on the day from Reeth to Richmond.
The leaves have a lovely mild garlic flavour - and can be safely used for cooking, the flowers are white and have a sweet garlic smell.
Posted by: scaredovheights

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 26/09/11 06:29 PM

I love the wild garlic also. I use it in soups rather that garlic bulbs. As you say, I love walking next to a stream where it is abundant.

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 26/09/11 07:11 PM

Don't try planting it in your garden though! It takes exceptionally well and makes the garden smell garlicky in May .... but it is very invasive and will take over if not kept well down. Probably best to grow it in a pot where it can't self seed.
Posted by: rogere

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 27/09/11 09:37 AM

Calluna, thanks. I'm familiar with wild garlic, but I never knew it had another name!

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 28/09/11 06:55 PM

Anyone walking the Coast to Coast at the moment would find the heat making it tough going!
Posted by: Slogger

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 29/09/11 08:36 AM

It was hotter for longer during Easter week. It is even hotter and has been generally all summer in continental Europe, but the first snow fell on the Trudos Mountains in Cyprus yesterday.
Dave

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 29/09/11 09:33 AM

I think that anyone on the open stretches of any walk yesterday would find it quite challenging.

It was 25 degrees at 10am on the top of Dufton Fell yesterday. This is not usually a problem on high fells as it is frequently cooled by the wind. However there was no wind at all and there was no respite from the sun. Fortunately, I was back in Dufton itself before the heat really cut in, reaching 29 degrees by the time I left. Even on the summit of the A66 it was still 28!

When I started out on my walk on Monday it was 6 degrees at Hartside. There was a flurry of sleet on the summit of Black Fell, only lasting a couple of minutes and not even whitening the ground. Some contrast in 2 days!!!

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 30/09/11 08:50 AM

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
I think that anyone on the open stretches of any walk yesterday would find it quite challenging.

It was 25 degrees at 10am on the top of Dufton Fell yesterday. This is not usually a problem on high fells as it is frequently cooled by the wind. However there was no wind at all and there was no respite from the sun. Fortunately, I was back in Dufton itself before the heat really cut in, reaching 29 degrees by the time I left. Even on the summit of the A66 it was still 28!

When I started out on my walk on Monday it was 6 degrees at Hartside. There was a flurry of sleet on the summit of Black Fell, only lasting a couple of minutes and not even whitening the ground. Some contrast in 2 days!!!

I think the only thing predictable about the British weather is that it is totally unpredictable! crazy

and why it is usually the first topic of conversation with a stranger grin
Posted by: suffolk stroller

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 30/09/11 03:45 PM

We may not have had the best weather on our recently completed walk, but I think had we been doing it in a heatwave it would have been more challenging for me and I would have been less likely to be able to finsih it. (So I should be grateful it rained then!)

I think the answer to which month is best to walk - weather wise any way - is who knows? Next year could be different. I expect quite a few planned their walk for now or early spring so it wouldn't be too hot and they got the hottest weather of the year!

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 30/09/11 07:17 PM

In conclusion then, May or September unless you prefer June, July or August!

(I have only ever encountered one group doing it across Christmas and the new year .... so, if you like it quiet).
Posted by: Reluctanttrucker

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 01/10/11 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
In conclusion then, May or September unless you prefer June, July or August!

(I have only ever encountered one group doing it across Christmas and the new year .... so, if you like it quiet).

Apart from that bloke with the sleigh and reindeer.
Noisy bugger.

Ho Ho and indeed HO!!!
Posted by: longstride

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 04/10/11 03:11 PM

Has anyone done the c2c in July and if so what were the conditions like? Thanks.

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 05/10/11 03:33 PM

Any one year does not necessary forecast how others will be.

There will obviously be the long daylight hours and the shorter nights however, all other conditions are variable.

It could be hot, very hor, or it could be cool with frequent rain.

The sun could be a nuisance as it beats down or a welcome break from the wet.

There really is no way of predicting the conditions so whichever time you select will be a lottery as far as the weather is concerned.

If you are using serviced accommodation in July you will need to book well in advance as it is often booked up months ahead.
Posted by: Redlesweb

Re: Finally going to walk the C2C - but which month? - 18/01/14 10:04 AM

Unfortunately I never did it in 2012 or 2013. Almost all booked up for 2014 though and can't wait laugh