Osmotherly Car Parking?

Posted by: lightweightmick

Osmotherly Car Parking? - 20/08/09 12:00 PM

As Lordstones has become something of a sticking point on my 5 day C2C attempts...
and as I've got a window of opportunity for Mon&Tues next week - conditions look good (light rain - 18 degs) I was thinking of attempting getting the elusive extra 6m from Lord Stones...
I can drop the car at the Western end on the NYM on my way up to the CC site at Whitby from where I can cycle down to the start at RHB. Plan is then to walk back to van (which is only a few hundred yards up the May Beck road. Next morning set off for car... as there's a good chance of the last few miles in the dark, Osmotherly is probably a better bet as it's a bit nearer to the intended destination of Scarth Moor (Beacon Hill) and easier to get to in the dark (I also have the option of limping down the Cod Beck road!)
So... is there any free, relatively secure parking in Osmotherly does anyone know?
cheers
lwm

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 20/08/09 12:02 PM

Osmotherley of course...
Posted by: midgetarget

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 20/08/09 12:38 PM

You could ask the owners of the campsite if you could leave your car there.

midgetarget

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 20/08/09 04:25 PM

Hi, thanks MT,
I have used this site in the past... seems a bit cheeky to drop car off then go and use a site 40m away!
I note on google satellite there are spaces near the church - is the pub central do you know? (I seem to remember you started a thread on this pub?)
There's loads of roadside parking at the 'new' start of the Lyke Wake Walk on t'other side of Cod Beck Reservoir, but it's isolated... arriving late Tues to find car on bricks won't be much fun (if it's there at all!)
cheers
mick
Posted by: slowcoach

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 21/08/09 07:55 AM

Plenty of parking in Osmotherley itself. Park as close to the village as possible. ON NO ACCOUNT PARK AT Cod Beck or Scarth Nick. Regularly visited by the unwelcome elemnt from outside the park. A lone car will be vulnerable and almost certainly broken into.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 21/08/09 11:19 AM

Thanks sc - that was my thinking. They know walkers will be gone for hours... I've seen the police doing slow driveby's on that road in the past and taken this to be a bad sign! I've been stung before like this before but (luckily) only returned to find all the tyres let down...

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 01/09/09 12:36 PM

Successful trip!
No car parks as such in Osmotherley. Parked on main street nr pub without causing inconvenience to locals. Set off via Guisborough for Whitby.
After siting van at Low Moor, took bike to RHB and started at 6pm (earlier st for moor crossing) - arrived van 8.15. Collected bike with time left for chip supper as the chippy is open till 9! Though cold by time I got van back to site...
Set off next am at 6am arr Osmotherly 10.30 (needed head torch from Sheepwash Bank - a pig to descend in the dark!) Did use Quarry Rd (past Cod Beck) after all.
Later than expected but had a few hold-ups...
Conditions cooler than June attempt but felt that the Superglue trial went well...
not much time here - will post more later,
cheers
lwm
Posted by: Slogger

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/09/09 03:02 PM

Hi Mick,
Glad you had success on the early sections during your recent recce. Waiting to hear more details.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 06/09/09 12:47 PM

Hi Dave,
Busy busy here - somewhat stressful too. I'm really looking fwd to escaping to do the next section and also wondering how safe the car would be dropped at Surrender Bridge if I sited the van at the Cote Ghyl site in Osmotherley...
The test has run out on the Panda I use everyday and tow as support vehicle. I've just got the other (older) Panda back tested and am Waxoyling the newly welded repaired sill sections. I stripped out all the insulation and seats etc. and so need to get it all back together for work next week!
The Panda has been a good workhorse and at around 700kg is light enough to tow but unfortunatley both have got to the welding stage!
cheers
mick
So I'm doing the 2 day write up as and when I can fit it in
Posted by: LizzieS.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 07/09/09 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
Hi Dave,
Busy busy here - somewhat stressful too. I'm really looking fwd to escaping to do the next section and also wondering how safe the car would be dropped at Surrender Bridge if I sited the van at the Cote Ghyl site in Osmotherley...
The test has run out on the Panda I use everyday and tow as support vehicle. I've just got the other (older) Panda back tested and am Waxoyling the newly welded repaired sill sections. I stripped out all the insulation and seats etc. and so need to get it all back together for work next week!
The Panda has been a good workhorse and at around 700kg is light enough to tow but unfortunatley both have got to the welding stage!
cheers
mick
So I'm doing the 2 day write up as and when I can fit it in

Just wondering - but what on earth is a "Panda"?
Posted by: Stottie

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 07/09/09 08:52 PM

Just wondering - but what on earth is a "Panda"?

Don't get confused, Liz - it's a van, not a pack animal!
Posted by: robshilluk

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 07/09/09 10:08 PM

Parking at Cod Beck is not recommended! As the area is frequently visited by undesirables, I have in the past called in at the Youth Hostel and asked if I can leave the car in their car park never been refused (I am a member though)
A couple of years ago two vehicles where set on fire in the early hours of a Sunday morning at Cod Beck, their have also been incidents of car tyres being damaged.
Rob,
Assistant Ranger N.Y.M.N.P.A.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 08/09/09 10:03 AM

Sorry Lizzie - small Fiat car...
[img]http://www.btinternet.com/~m.l.weller/mods/panda_clx.jpg[/img]
Here at Whitby Abbey next morning after returning from Osmotherley.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 08/09/09 10:08 AM

Try again...
http://www.btinternet.com/~m.l.weller/mods/panda_clx.jpg

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 08/09/09 10:28 AM

Rob, thanks for the confirmation on the Cod Beck situation.
I didn't want to park on the street in Osmotherly (nor return to a ticket or wheel clamp!) as spots are usually taken by locals, but there were no other cars parked near when I returned and it seemed the safer option.
My next section will be to Surrender Bridge beyond Reeth which is also an isolated spot - so I may decide on making Reeth itself that stage's destination... though I may yet get a driver for that leg and find a site for the van nearer to Richmond... but then to get an early start it would be better maybe to head out from the site at Osmotherley. The logistics offer several options...
At least I now know that I can at least phsyically get to Beacon Hill... a big confidence booster, as on two previous 5 day attempts I've not made it past Lord Stones!
many thanks for your input,
Do you happen to have any contact details for Dales N.Park Rangers btw re. the situation at Surrender Bridge?
cheers
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 09/09/09 07:21 AM

The basic rule is ..... do not park for long periods in any remote spot. Numerous groups are making a healthy living by breaking into unattended vehicles .... believe it or not, over 1000 a day (yes 1000 a day). No ranger service is going to advise parking anywhere other than an attended car park or within a settlement... imagine the fallout "but a ranger told me to park at Surrender Bridge and when I got back my wheels had gone".
There are at least 2 options to avoid this. One is to break the section into 2. Park at Reeth and bus to Gunnerside. Then park at Gunnerside and bus to Keld. Option 2 is to park at Reeth and bus to Keld. Look at the Richmond to Keld service and see if you can plan your day(s) around this. Could you use ***** for one way travel?

Whichever you use you would be well advised, in these days, to avoid parking in remote spots ..... the undesirables know exactly where every one is.

You may be told that it is safe to park providing nothing is left on show ......... not true .... disappointed villains are frequently known to steal parts .... or even torch the vehicle.

Sorry to be a Cassandra!!!

Posted by: Lounge Lizard

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 09/09/09 03:56 PM

Installing millions of urban CCTV cameras was never going to stop these villains and undesirables from breaking into unattended vehicles, it just means they have to travel a few miles out of town to do so undetected.
And don't worry about being a Cassandra - one more on here won't make much difference.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 10/09/09 10:26 AM

Hi SC - thanks for the input but there won't be any buses when I get to Reeth let alone Surrender Bridge! Fell runners traditionally supported each other in days gone by.
My only offer of support dried up (she was on holiday) and so I had no option than to find a relatively safe parking spot.
It's also a lot to ask of someone to wait around in an isolated spot after dusk waiting for a head torch to come over the hill... not for the feint hearted!
I think more rural areas are probably a safer bet than areas that, although rural in themselves, are within an 'easy' drive of large conurbations, as in the case of the NYM that are easy pickings for the organised element from the North East (it's a similar situation here in Derbyshire) and of course I would never quote anyone who gave an opinion on an area, it would be a more discreet enquiry, and they would be better placed than anyone to know of regular torching spots.
It's not an option to break the stage up either I'm afraid and it's those last few miles that take the most effort it seems!
The thought of the car at Osmotherly made a big difference mentally, but with support only a phone call away it could be too easy to request collection, whereas without, you know that every step takes you that bit nearer to your car...

It may well have to be Feetham with a short road walk back to car from Surrender.
So now I've got the older Panda back on the road it could work out like this:
without support
Drop car at Feetham. Continue on with van to site at Osmotherley. Spend night here.
Early start to car - drive back to van.
with support
Finding a site mid point would expect more of support to get to Osmotherley at first light, but would have the advantage of making it a shorter journey later, so this would largely depend on who was supporting and on how they would be prepared to fit in.
cheers
lwm

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 15/09/09 02:30 PM

I've set up a blog to keep track of the 5 day saga (which is what it's becoming!)

http://fivedayc2c.blogspot.com/

includes account of the latest successful 2 day recce,
cheers
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 24/09/09 11:53 AM

Whey, just booked site nr Richmond to recce footpath sections of next leg. She indoors has (conditionally...) offered to support. (I think she got tired of hearing me going on about folding bikes...)
It's a full moon for the Sunday (4/10) Sunrise is 7am so I'll need to be setting off in the dark (6am - Osmotherley) and I'll most likely need to tackle the 3m after Reeth (to Surrender Bridge) in the dark as sunset is 6.30pm (though if it's fine I should have up to an hour on this...)
cheers
lwm

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/10/09 11:32 PM

Somehow got onto the A19 yesterday morning and started from Ingleby Arncliffe at dawn. The phone alarm didn't go off though the watch alarm had actually woke me up but I dozed waiting for the 'wailing bitch' who never wailed... took about an hour to drive to start with a coffee stop recce enroute for support(between Whitwell and Streetlam) - she not good with map reading... but she miraculously appeared when needed!
Arrived Surrender to anxious support after dark but not too far off schedule (lost path in fading light)
Going was hard fighting wind most of day (and underfoot) but felt that Superglue worked again. No problems with route finding (though did miss footpath turning after Danby Wiske to Streetlam)
Still think this would be a tough day after covering Day1 though... at least the wind kept the rain off!

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/10/09 03:15 PM

So when the next attempt Mick? Tell you what, I'll set off from St Bee's at the same time you set off from RHB, both on a 5 day attempt. That way you will have to keep going, at least until we meet roughly halfway, then its all down hill, or going your way, uphill.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/10/09 09:30 PM

It definitely makes a difference if you've got something positive to aim for. My half-way point falls between Gunnerside Gill and Swinner Gill (just where the track to Rogan's Seat joins the route) nearly 6m from Cringley Bottom. Thinking is to get more in while legs are fresh... having said that, battling against the wind on Saturday made me wonder at times if it would still be possible having covered the NYM the day before. And yes it would certainly seem uphill if those conditions continued day after day!
If I could make Shap on the next leg it would leave 2 'shorter' days through the Lakes, which would be desirable on shot legs with the harsh descents (this is remembering how I felt on the '06 attempt)...
May has been wet... June too warm... so maybe end of April?
ha ha, I really don't know Dave...
cheers
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/10/09 10:05 PM

I did try a video... but I'll never make a producer!
I'd just gone over on my ankle... but you can harldy hear above the wind!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcPRVeEBOE
this is approaching Colburn
cheers
lwm
Posted by: Lounge Lizard

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 06/10/09 03:08 PM

I did try a video... but I'll never make a producer!
I'd just gone over on my ankle... but you can harldy hear above the wind!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcPRVeEBOE
this is approaching Colburn
cheers
lwm

If he could do this for the whole 190 miles it might save us all the bother of putting on our boots and getting out in the cold.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 06/10/09 08:35 PM

I'm thinking of signing JuliaB to make 'em a bit more interesting... ha ha.
here's one I made earlier...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY795t2eA3g

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 12/10/09 10:49 PM

Good to see that Needle Sports have spares for the Petzl Zoom!

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 13/10/09 07:20 PM

Hi Mick,
Ive video'd several walks including the Dales Way, West Highland Way, and many day walks and scrambles in Cumbria and Scotland. However when I'm on a mission, ie. a non stopper, I no longer take the camera with me. I found I was losing too much time stopping to take shots of views even though like your video, most was done on the move.
Hows the fitness going. Im still not running because of this groin/hip thing, but I did 40 miles on the mountain bike one day last week, and 51 miles on my road ike a couple of days later. As a result the legs are feeling more like they used to. I will have to work on the aerobics though.
Dave.
By the way, that 51 miler - on the southern loop of the Lancashire Cycleway. Many juctions and a few roundabouts, althopugh no problems this time. Coming up short of 50 nearer home I added a loop of Buckshaw village to make it over 51. Pulled off the A49 into our estate, turned right then a smooth left onto out drive. Unclipped my left shoe from the SPD pedal, braked and came to a stop just in front of my van - then promptly wobbled and fell over to the right. It incredible how you cant unclip your shoe when you most need to, but as soon as you hit the ground, it releases. Sore elbow and hip bone and gave my head such a crack on the concrete, I had double vision for about a minute. Fortunately, I was wearing my helmet. Goes to show that, unlike when walking, when cycling, you just cant afford to switch off.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 13/10/09 09:35 PM

Well I'm not as fit as I could be (or as I'll need to be for next yrs attempt...) but fit enough, I hope(?), to get from Surrender to Shap on Saturday... still negotiating with the support ha ha...
Yeah, surprising how taking pics slows you down. Nothing arty - just the phone camera now. For some reason only the vids stored on the card - all else for the weekend was lost... no idea why.
Bikes are dangerous things these days... pecking order among road users is rock bottom - as we've noted before. More so as we've more than not been in the car on the same day and expect the same rights... no no.
Tch, can't believe how stupidly fast I went down the hill to Fylingthorpe to Robin Hood's Bay either... no helmet - would have been curtains if I'd come off...
Ha ha - I like it... I've done it - I'd been working on the bike years back and took it for a spin - got to the end of the road and stood on pedals to get out onto main road when back wheel skewed and locked against frame - with feet in the toe clips I just keeled over sideways. Luckily not into the path of an oncoming car! Can't have tightened up the rear wheel nuts tight enough... doh. I double checked 'em after that!
We've got to be more organised this weekend (got to be this w/end as last chance before clocks go back) to get to Surrender at 6 - even then it'll be dark after Orton - I'll probably keep to the road from Oddendale as I'll probably lose the path near the quarry... and that chippy in Shap don't open late if I remember,
cheers
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 14/10/09 04:04 PM

Best of luck.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 14/10/09 08:59 PM

Thanks Dave... hopefully the alarm will go off this time!

re the aerobics Aldi got some HRM at 12.99 - they okay - same price as one I got from them years ago that started acting up this year (the battery cover on chest strap seal leaking and flattening battery)
The chest transmitter now has improved seal and smaller cell battery rather than the 12v one as before, and the transmitter still works for the same watch.
comes with bike attachment too btw
cheers

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 15/10/09 08:41 AM

Yes Mick I know, Ive had one for a few years now and have recently replaced that battery. Not used it for a while, but put it on at home at last week to test my resting heart beat. Certainly shows how unfit I am since I stopped running some 20 months since. When I was running my beat rate at rest was 42 - 45 per minute. Now its 60 -65 bpm. I dont like that, I will have to get it down. (Not too much though!)
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 18/10/09 11:34 PM

Phew, that was a long one!
Sited van in Keld only a few hundred yards off route - so came in handy for 2nd breakfast. Got alarm right this time. Forecast good - so was concerned setting off from Surrender in light drizzle, but day stayed fine, in fact very warm in afternoon (esp. for October) nice crunching through leaves in places. Having support is great, but can be nerve wracking at times! Just got light in time to find a way down to Blakethwaite Smelt Mill(?) and bridge over Gunnerside Gill - otherwise Petzl Zoom with Halogen bulb(6!) was most effective. Got some vids in - more later,
cheers
lwm

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 18/10/09 11:44 PM

Hi Dave,
a basal rate of 42-45 is v.good (esp at our end of life - though HR's can vary for different people of course) and as you know the best personal measure of fitness (and wrong doing!) I'm lucky to get as low as 46-47-48's lately but was getting 50-52 only a few weeks back. Consistency's the key, but time consuming. A HRM is a useful tool in making sure you don't work at too high a level esp after some time off. I've been working on maximizing time by working at the correct rate for as little as 5-6mins 3 times a week to maintain a basic level of fitness - more is good, but as you know, not always possible,
cheers
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 20/10/09 10:24 PM

Well, here's a link to the first video of the morning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgE4GKOgc5Q

er, can't see much though... it does get a bit lighter down by the gill though!

I ran out of memory on Nine Standards... apparently I only have 1/2 a gig of memory but can get up to 4 gigs for around 30, so what with Chrimbo coming up...

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 24/10/09 03:04 PM

Losing a few miles here and there, I make it 54 miles to St bees from Shap (Footprint - 62) with the following:
a more direct route to Rosgill (passing near the interestingly named 'Thunder Stone')
cut up Measand End - High Raise
Grisdale Tarn - Dunmail Raise - Steel Fell option
Haystacks rather than Loft Beck loses another 1/2m
but inc. Nannycatch and Dent Fell
using cycle path to skirt Moor Row

This could be acheived in a weekend with van sited at Stonethwaite, but short days won't help as it would be good to get across Greenup and down by Lining Crag before lights out.
There doesn't appear to be much of a path up from Steel Fell to Greenup either so this could be compass slow esp. in mist - bearing in mind my last early morning passage from Gibson Knott when the cloud was down.
A 7am start from Shap puts me (albeit conservatively) at Greenup by 16.20, so I'll need an earlier start, a better pace or more daylight (ie. next year)
The thinking is that a bright December day might be a better option that next March...

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 24/10/09 03:35 PM

Hi Mick,
The path from Steel Fell to Greenup is easy to follow and mostly follows the wall and fence to beyond Calf Crag. The climb up Steel Fell from Dunmail is a killer though, quite short but really steep. We used this route to the other High Raise whilst attempting the Joss Naylor some years ago.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 24/10/09 04:22 PM

Cheers, thanks for that Dave - looks pretty sharp descent down from the tarn too, so I'll need to allow plenty extra for this, but as the path after is easier than anticipated it'll maybe balance itself out...
thanks again,
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 24/10/09 05:17 PM

The descent path from the tarn is not too bad as far as steepness goes and in ascent its ok, but in descent I hate it, its full of ankle jarring rocks and little rock steps. You mentioned a trial run in December. This path can ice up quite substantially, so take care.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 24/10/09 09:50 PM

Good point Dave, cheers

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 28/10/09 11:40 PM

Surrender to Shap
Well, the plan was to leave the first support stuff in a bin liner close to the route to save a little time in the morning. But I soon realise that my water bottle is back in the van and I'll need it between Keld and Kirkby Stephen. It gets light enough to see the descent into Gunnerside, but progress is slow... ha ha, especially with short video clips of the dark Melbecks crossing eating into my pace...
The support has gone back to bed - and who could blame her? - so I have to knock her up after descending to the site at Park Bridge to collect water bottle and down a second breakfast - makes good sense while I'm there after all - but this takes up 30 mins instead of the 20 planned.
The way up to Ravenseat is a little boggier than expected, as is the climb to the Nine, and so I come into Kirkby Stephen with damp feet - which is a good test for the Superglue.
I'd given up on the support when, in the Co-op, I saw the Panda shoot past... and there is better parking I discover off a back street (Faraday Road) but the job's done, and well fortified exactly 1 hour later I head off for Smardale soon regretting the decision to miss out the toilet stop... when you gotta go... fortunately a local comes to my aid, but it doesn't quite end there with an embarrassing episode later... all in a day's walk though.
I'd really looked forward to Smardale where I discover that all the early morning clips have filled the phone's memory stick and a foot stop here will have to wait till next year, so I continue on to Brownber. The sun shines and the afternoon is warm as I cross Ravenstonedale Moor and it's here I began to feel the miles left behind. Where the O/S map says 'Ford' there is now a sunstantial timber crossing but it's very boggy either side here where Sunbiggin Tarn is just over there...
There's little difference in the road sections distance-wise but this choice puts all the road at the end, which becomes a slog as I try to negotiate with the support to meet up sooner than planned... but maybe she's being canny and knows I have to crack on on this leg. All the Kirkby Stephen calories have been used up though and I'm trying to go on empty and trying to keep in a straight line at the roadside seems impossible... A text arrives about the stove hissing gas and eventually she arrives from the wrong way and there's a minor altercation, but it turns out she's been troubled by a man in a car as she waited in the layby and has tried to shake him off...
A 13 minute coffee stop refuels and Claire crawls along behind until she can shoot off for the safety of Shap as I press on for the church and the steady climb to Crosby Ravensworth Fell which I know could be slow if I don't get over before dark. All goes well though and I don't need the headtorch until crossing the Roman Road with the ground suddenly becoming less even. From Oddendale I'd decided to follow the road past Scar Plantation until meeting the final support... which, due to poor signal at Shap (in the Bull's Head) turned out to be a little later than anticipated.

full account of Day3 can be found here at fivedayc2c.blogspot.com

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 08/12/09 10:07 PM

Well, sad to say, another recce this year is definitely not one...
all hope of preventing the support car from overheating is dashed. Finished fitting another head today (as I'd come to the conclusion that the head was cracked), but it's no different... it's the daily workhorse too, so it's not good news. With little spare time fitness has slipped as well...
Still, on the bright side, plenty of time to get sorted for next year, although I didn't want the final recce to be too close to the next attempt, I'll just have to go with the situation and see how it pans out.
Bit of a downer, but what else can you do?

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 16/12/09 11:41 PM

Not the only thing that's been slipping - turns out the impellar on the water pump was spinning uslessly on its shaft when the engine got to temperature... fine when cold but once warmed up the coolant wasn't circulating as it should! This could have been done sooner, but I was told there was nothing wrong with it! The continuing process of elimination meant it could only be the water pump after swapping the head. So all's well with the support car now, though back-up (a 4x4 this time) awaits collection in Surrey... so looking forward to the new year to get back in shape.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 26/02/10 01:05 PM

It's always hard to imagine just how out of shape you become with time off and extra comfort (in the form of calories) - all takes it's toll and a lingering chesty cough hasn't helped, but I'm on the turn and the spirit is on the up.
A choice of support car to hand now, though the above mentioned 4x4 still is without towing eyes for the last two recce sections...
Plan is to book 2 nights at Stonethwaite site then use the Panda (with or without support driver) to Shap. Three stages then to Patterdale, Dunmail Raise (support would be good here if day is short) and return to van, where (without a driver) I'd need to set off to collect the support car and deliver to StBees before returning to the site for early start next am.
This makes for two shorter finish days of around 26m for the 5 day schedule. On the '06 attempt the last day was tough and the thinking is that, for me at least, Stonethwaite would be a better place to get to for that last push than Easedale as last time a lot of time was lost negotiating Greenup in the mist and the descent past lining crag may be better later in the day rather than on 'cold' morning legs... though there is the matter of daylight to consider

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 28/04/10 10:08 PM

Well it's on for this weekend - turning cooler I understand. I'll be unsupported and reckon it'll take around 4 hrs to collect car (from Shap) and deliver it to StBees - doubt whether I'll be inclined to fork out 7.55 to overnight the car at StBees Foreshore CP though! :0
Hopefully there'll be a good chippy in Keswick on way back to site...

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 29/04/10 07:18 PM

Does that mean you will site the Van in Shap after dropping off the car in St Bee's. Then its your intention to walk from Shap to St Bees? If so Mick, what are your target times for that, and do you intend overnighting on Gibson Knott?
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 29/04/10 09:16 PM

Not very clear of me Dave...
The itinery for the weekend is thus:
Travel up Friday - site van at Stonethwaite (the site is on route)
Sat: use support car to Shap - 6am start.
Walk (some run) back to van via Rosgill, Measand End, High Raise, Angle Tarn, Patterdale, Grisdale&Tarn, Dunmail raise, Steel fell, Greenup Edge.
Then with van, collect support car and deliver to St Bees. Return to site with van and take-away from Keswick
(overnight at van)
Sun: 6am start for St.Bees via Honister, Haystacks, etc (Ennerdale route altered from your earlier advice on flood damage though inc. Dent Fell this time and inc. all of cliff-top path - need to finish by 6pm as started 5 days recce at 6pm RHB)
Dave, my thinking is to get beyond Ronald's schedule from RH grave to Shap thus making Stonethwaite on Day4 and reducing the last days miles for tired legs. On the next consecutive 5 dayer a lot will be riding on the effectiveness of the superglue to make those last 2 days more bearable as the pace slowed dramatically on the 1st attempt! (though the knee didn't help...)
cheers
mick
(re times - I've scheduled 12 hrs each day which should tie in with next 5 day attempt proper though am expecting to be well up on this)
Posted by: Reluctanttrucker

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 29/04/10 11:30 PM

Not very clear of me Dave...
The itinery for the weekend is thus:
Travel up Friday - site van at Stonethwaite (the site is on route)
Sat: use support car to Shap - 6am start.
Walk (some run) back to van via Rosgill, Measand End, High Raise, Angle Tarn, Patterdale, Grisdale&Tarn, Dunmail raise, Steel fell, Greenup Edge.
Then with van, collect support car and deliver to St Bees. Return to site with van and take-away from Keswick
(overnight at van)
Sun: 6am start for St.Bees via Honister, Haystacks, etc (Ennerdale route altered from your earlier advice on flood damage though inc. Dent Fell this time and inc. all of cliff-top path - need to finish by 6pm as started 5 days recce at 6pm RHB)
Dave, my thinking is to get beyond Ronald's schedule from RH grave to Shap thus making Stonethwaite on Day4 and reducing the last days miles for tired legs. On the next consecutive 5 dayer a lot will be riding on the effectiveness of the superglue to make those last 2 days more bearable as the pace slowed dramatically on the 1st attempt! (though the knee didn't help...)
cheers
mick
(re times - I've scheduled 12 hrs each day which should tie in with next 5 day attempt proper though am expecting to be well up on this)

I have two words,and these come from the heart.

GOOD LUCK

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/04/10 09:45 AM

cheers RT - should be a good weekend!

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/05/10 11:36 AM

Well it's almost 11.30am today, Sunday. I have been mentally tracking Micks progress on his recce. If all has gone to plan so far I reckon he should be round about, Dent Hill by now if going really well or possibly approaching Ennerdale Bridge.
I wish I was in his shoes at the moment, good walking weather, alas, tempted to do something as I am, I have an unruly garden to attend to. My heads in the garden but my hearts up there in the hills.
Here's hoping you are having a cracking time Mick.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/05/10 02:41 PM

I wish Dave! Bit later than the planned 6am starting out from the site (6.20) and had leisurely coffee stop on Haystacks (20mins) as it was such a lovely morning and so arrived EB at 11.55 - Dent around 14.10 overall was only 5 mins down on schedule with my feet in the sea at 17.40 arrived back home after midnight as one of the wipers came off the van so had to stop to get the arm off...(anyone seeing a crippled old bloke trying to clamber onto the bull bars of an old motor caravan yesterday would have been amused... then it didn't rain after that...)
Taking it steady today.
It's been an instructive weekend though leaving me wondering if a consecutive 5 days is just going to be out of reach for me too, sadly, after all these years of effort!
Sat afternoon turned wet and even with waterproof jacket (and brolly on Greenup!) I still arrived at Stonethwaite very weary and soaked to the skin - I'd got the luxury of the van but can't imagine crawling into a bivvy or having the will to put a tent up even... more on that later,
cheers
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/05/10 06:35 PM

Come on Mick, dying to hear the details, obviously the weather forecast that I saw was flawed (as usual).
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/05/10 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Slogger
Well it's almost 11.30am today, Sunday. I have been mentally tracking Micks progress on his recce. If all has gone to plan so far I reckon he should be round about, Dent Hill by now if going really well or possibly approaching Ennerdale Bridge.
I wish I was in his shoes at the moment, good walking weather, alas, tempted to do something as I am, I have an unruly garden to attend to. My heads in the garden but my hearts up there in the hills.
Here's hoping you are having a cracking time Mick.
DITTO
Come on Mick.
Now back to the weed beds......
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 06/05/10 11:26 AM

Well when I got back to the site wet through I was expecting to have a nice hot shower as I'd left the water heater on in the van. After a bit of luke warm came out it turned cold... this is one reason I mention arriving in that condition and only having a bivvy bag. Anyway the hot union was leaking and I think water had probably got into the control box (which is underneath the tank - it's the Carver Water heater and now 24yrs old...)
So what with fixing that and sorting the wipers on the van - (she's booked us away for next weekend) - I 'ant had much time to post and do write-up. I did get a 4gig card for the phone though so there's more video snippits to come... wink

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 06/05/10 06:53 PM

Oh, alright, we'll let you off for now.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 11/05/10 10:03 PM

Final Recce Weekend - at last...

Friday: Arrival on Site
There are two sites at Stonethwaite... and they both share the same postcode, so I've pulled the van into a space near the chapel to drop the car for a driven recce. The favourite for caravans is possibly the one off the B road as I find another motorvan on there before parking the Panda and walking back for the van. Er, yeah, this is where I should have taken a bit more notice of who runs the site and called in to mark my arrival, but time's getting on and I haven't had anything to eat yet... (then the sign doesn't say to 'call at house before siting van' as many sites do) I'd planned on a takeaway, but, thinking ahead, had stopped to refuel for the St.Bees car drop tomorrow so sausage and mash it is then...

Saturday: Shap to Stonethwaite (30m)
There's free parking beside the toilets - and they're very open and very clean - a credit to the council - and come in very handy....
Thereafter it's off up the road at 6.20 and the morning is cold, dry and bright, with frost across the fields to Rosgill passing the delightfully named nearby 'Thunder Stone'.
From Hawswater, the route choice today is to cut up the hill at Measand End and head for High Raise.
The low sun gains strength and the brolly helps as it's not too breezy and there's time for a snickers on a comfortable wayside stone to take in the view too, then farther up the hill those sheep look very much like deer... and indeed are, it turns out.
High Raise makes a great early coffee stop and at 2634 ft is a little higher than the intended summit of Kidsty Pike. Low cloud swirls and comes and goes on the descent to Angle Tarn where the first walker of the day approaches - he's a coaster and wants to know if the path will take him to Kidsty...
Dropping in to Patterdale for an early lunch I meet up with another forum poster who is up for the weekend. She kindly donates to my cause as we part company - she for the High Street with a Hartsop descent - me for Grisedale Tarn and Dunmail Raise.
So far the day has been kindliness itself but the rain begins to fall and I miss the gate for the lane and end up at the back of a wood peering down through dripping branches on to where I know I should be...
I find a path of sorts, boggy in places, skirting the hill on the north shore of the tarn and the descent to Dunmail Raise is straightforward and pretty, even in the rain, with it's crashing waterfalls.
It has to be said that Steel Fell looks mighty steep from Raise Beck and not much less from the stile at the bottom... Is that really a path up there? I've been watching another walker ahead as I'd come down - noting that they kept stopping... also that they were to the right-hand gully near the crest of the hill. The path at the bottom peter's out on the ascent and there are patches of scree or rather loose stone on grass - it becomes steeper at the top and after a few airy minutes on greasy wet grass trying to decide on the best option I find myself in a situation I'd rather not be... I work my way slowly... very slowly towards the gully to the left and feel much relief in finding some well-kicked boot holds...
Once up it's plain sailing, but not a route I'd recommend to coasters and one I'd think carefully about in the future fo'sure.
It's hammering down on the Greenup approach and this turns into more of a climb than I remember. A misplaced footing sends me reeling before Lining Crag and I'm wishing I'd remembered to get some jelly babies at Patterdale as the descent into Borrowdale seems to go on and on... and on, until I arrive back at the van quite literally soaked to the skin at 6.57pm.

Collecting and Delivering Support Car:
After a failed hot shower - the water heater had turned itself off for some reason - food takes priority - there's a tin of stewing steak and more mash, and a tin of carrots and so it's after eight when I pull off the site to collect the car from Shap... and though it's a straightforward run it's well after midnight before I get back from St.Bees... so it's straight to bed.

more to follow...
cheers

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 14/05/10 09:32 AM

Sunday: Stonethwaite to St.Bees (28.5m)
After a 6.20 start it's 7:20am up at Honister - and there's me in search of water... it's dawning that the Slate Mine staff will have to be pretty damn keen in hoping to sell slate at this hour - ideed the place is well locked. But lo, there is a fine toilet next door at the back of the youth hostel and I've just walked straight past it...
After the tramway, there's activity at the spoil heap bothy - I sneak in for a peek - hmm, a good reason to use the Haystacks route - basic but dry, and then again, unfortunately, not in the right place... and the family filling their flask tell me that there is another just down the track with a chimney and all, but as it's cosier it gets busy and they met lads carrying coal yesterday...
There are good views down into Buttermere and a leisurely 20mins beside Innominate Tarn before descending to Scarth Gap in search of the narrow path cutting obliquely down to into Ennerdale and somewhat nearer to Gillerthwaite. The path crosses Scarth Beck just below a rocky outcrop and is a good 'un with new stiles and well-used.
Once down on the broad track through Ennerdale I'm reminded of my condition on the first attempt and become aware that I could well be in a similar state on a further continuous five-dayer. Today though, all is right with the world and nothing is troubling in the locomotion department... yet, being well aware that with 20 miles yet to go anything could happen...
There's another missed path from the last effort back in '06 - a nice soft field path to the footbridge that is not shown on the Footprint map (drop left after the YHA - there's a public call box here too) and the Liza is crossed - clean and pure. The shore line sloshes and the feet begin to complain with the ups and downs and rocky footfalls. The many walkers disappear at the car park and the road turns this way and that, but at 11.55am there's time enough for a bowl of chips from the pub, and yes they do serve tea. Oh, but look you - there's San Miguel on draught... nice cold... no, argh! - pot for one sir..?
It's here where I should apply more Superglue... but it's back at the van. Do I dig deep and fettle out plasters that won't stick? Second skin? No, I air the socks and get back into them wet and head off for the last climb - Dent.
The council have made every effort to improve the safety of coasters out of Ennerdale Bridge, but hey, this is rising more than the road...
Trotting down Nannycatch is very pleasant with much to please the senses, and so too is the well-defined path rising up the hillside and with just 10m to go from the summit there's a pull that encourages some more downhill running after taking in the view.
At the Moor Row memorial Alf has a sting in the tail for the East to Wester - St.Buzz is a mere 2m that way (points to 9 0'clock), but we have to go to Saltom Bay (1 o'clock) and add a useless and painful three miles...
I'm not fond of the the cliff path, certainly not for coming up through the quarry, but I ease myself into the last few miles and wave at passing pleasure sailors... though no one waves back and to me the Irish Sea doesn't look much different up here from the North Sea and my feet are definitely telling me: enough!
Busy busy St.Dismal eventually appears around the cliff head, and as the tide's in I head off down the pebbles for a paddle.
It's 5:40pm now - five minutes down on schedule and just twenty minutes under the overall five-day time. There's time enough yet to reflect on just how possible this would be on a consecutive five-day effort - 'Never said this would be easy' indeed...

Winding-up:
As it's seven quid and more to park overnight on the foreshore, the car's at the station - free parking... as is though, to be fair, on the road outside the station, yet this is not easy to gauge on Google.
It's an hour's drive back to Stonethwaite where I'd planned on another night for recovery before the four hour drive back home, but on return, even with seized legs, the pull of a cooked brekky at home and a lazy Bank Holiday spurs me on to hitch up and head off. But who's this mildly irate-looking lady hot-footing it towards the van? Ooops, oh yes, there's time yet then to pay for the pitch... For all she knew, I could have been dead in there she tells me...

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 14/05/10 05:35 PM

Hi Mick
Pitty about that rain and having to back and forth with the vehicles. That must have taken its toll in the fatigue stakes.
Seems you did have plenty of time though to have the odd break.
That grassy path you mention in Ennerdale, sounds like the one at the end of the track that goes down into Gillerthwaite Field Study Centre. They do have a phone there.
As for not being able to imagine a consecutive 5 dayer. I find that when I finish a 45 mile non stopper I cant imagine carrying on for a further 40 miles on an 85 miler. Yet at the time somehow you manage it. I think it's about, what you set your mind up to do.
Anyway, really good effort and now you will have settled back down a bit, have you any idea when you may be going for it. I'm thinking that if I have a go, it will probably be towards the end of June. I want to do the Westmorland Way first, however as I tend to act on impulse - who know's.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 15/05/10 12:57 PM

hi Dave - well the rain did spur me on at least, but made Steel Fell a bit more testing maybe. All in it took about 4 and a half hrs to collect and deliver the car which mean't a late night but it wouldn't have been possible without it - so all the hard work in terms of mechanical endeavor paid off in the end.
Yes, a bit of running gives time for a leisurely stop here and there - and the video clips slowed me down but it's something to refer back too:

just loaded up the first onto YouTube - Part 1

Yes, I believe it does go past the study centre - comes out near the bridge. I took your advice about flood damage on the south side in the end - as I'd intended crossing just after the descent from Scarth Gap, as that FP from Scarth Beck come out very near to a footbridge much higher up. As it is there's only a mile or so off the broad stony track to Gillerthwaite.
No plans yet - it's back to the kit list for now - maybe a lighter sleeping bag...
cheers,
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 15/05/10 01:51 PM

I enjoyed that video Mick, is it recorded on tape or memory card. My camcorder a Panasonic doesn't like the damp and would stop working in such conditions.
Re : Steel Fell. Runners attempting the Bob Graham Round and the Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge, go up Steel Fell from Dunmail Rise. We did the Joss Naylor some years ago (We failed) the route taken from the stile is diagonally slightly left straight away heading for a little gully high up. Your route initially at least was more direct straight up. I never like Steel Fell it's a steep little B-gger as you will know.
Ive just purchased a Terra Nova Laser 35ltr sac, only 476grm. It's more a ski/climbing sac than a backpack. However it's the sort of thing that they use on mountain marathons over two days.
I'm also looking at the Terra Nova Photon Elite tent, the worlds lightest. Reviews are encouraging and with a weight around 700grms and available at 259..
What sort of shoes did you wear on this last recce, did you get any blisters and what weight did you carry, also what did you think about the brolly?
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 15/05/10 02:54 PM

Glad you enjoyed it Dave!
Just the video on the phone - has it's limitations! esp with the mic. in wind... it's the old SE W800i (Sony Walkman phone)- probably get one now for next-to-nothing (mine was free) it accepts the Pro Duo memory stick and I got a 4gig recently - not expensive either. As it's an 'old' phone by today's standards it's not so precious... how it would stand up over several wet days remains to be seen but it was wet (even inside a plastic zip-lock) on the Saturday recce. It seems to be proving to be a sturdy little tool, though somewhat limited in quality re video resolution at only 2 mega pixels.
I would have felt more secure on dry grass fo'sure - I headed slightly right after stile for the r/hand gully, but in zig zagging up end up at the left hand gully at the top - was very glad to find the boot steps as up was better than retracing or going sideways even - yeah, it's a b*st*rd all right, but an improvement on the tongue (Old Packhorse rd) and Easdale /Helm Crag, as once you're up Steel Fell it's plain sailing... Maybe though, following the road up to the wood and coming up Wythburn would be a better alternative on tired legs?
Yeah, I've looked at both of those... then got the Inov8 15ltr (tight - and access is restricted with the single centre zip) and the Alpkit Hunka. Check the pegs on the Laser though as I understand they're more like nails..?
I bought a 'balloon bed' to try. Whether I'd have the patience to blow up 7 balloons after covering 40 miles is another matter, but to get a good night's sleep, even if only on the 1st 2 nights (prob sleep on a clothes line thereafter!) would be good as the 1st nights feel worse...
The New Balance 1100's are still good and worked well again - bit of a heavy shoe for running but substantial - not sure what I'll replace 'em with yet. Did get a small forefoot blister this time though - but onkly applied the S/glue in the mornings. On the last 3 days I re-applied it enroute.
12lbs carried on all the recce's - more or less same kit as I would use on a 5 dayer.
Brolly is interesting - looks daft (who cares?) - but it serves 3-4 useful functions:
1) Rain cover
2) Sun shade
3) Wind chill - held in front of torso in headwind
4) In bivvy - head-end cover (though not tried this overnight yet...) but have used it under tarp as a wind block

It did blow inside out a couple of times up at Grisedale though - thinking of trying some 'steady lines' as I find myself holding on to the closing loop at times.
Only a cheap folding one I got but thinking of getting a better make (like a Fulton?)
cheers
I should be working, but have been trying to make the 2nd vid a bit better, lol...

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 15/05/10 08:01 PM

managed to chop the 2nd video as youtube only allows 10min clips:

Day 5 recce (part1)

...not up to Britain's Got Talent though... ha ha

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 16/05/10 10:12 PM

phew... feeling a bit boss eyed by now:

Day 5 recce (part2)

was rather a 'long way for a paddle' - to quote Mike Cudahy in 'Wild Trails...'

cheers
lwm

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 17/05/10 05:57 PM

That was brilliant Mick. You made me laugh, you babble on to yourself the same as I do. I also talk to the Sheep and Birds and anything else that will listen or not.
You may have been feeling the blister and general seizing up, but you were clearly enjoying yourself.
That clifftop path has certainly taken a battering since I attempted the route around 25 years ago.
I have today just ordered a Terra Nova Laser Photon Elite Tent. With all my other gear expenditure since late last year, I couldn't really afford it, however, that's never stopped me. I may test it out by doing the Westmorland Way this weekend, unless I have to work.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 17/05/10 10:38 PM

Ha ha, me too Dave... funnily enough putting that video together has given another dimension to the route... and the sponsor ship has received a bump.
I've tried making a baffle to cover the mic hole to try and reduce the noise from the wind as the only way to reduce the crashing sound was to reduce the sound on the whole audio track, thus losing some of the 'babbling on' - esp. where coming off Dent where I was doing a bit of explaining about the tights and the running shoes. Maybe I could filter out the sound of the wind in some audio editing software... but there's only so many hours in the day - and like yourself while I'm not out there working I'm not earning.
Hope you get a window this weekend, I'd like to hear how you get on with the new tent! I've been tempted, but would struggle at the present to get the PHD minim at 169 - all spare cash went on the recce w/end! I shall be testing out the 'balloon bed' this weekend - though only on the back garden,
cheers
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 18/05/10 10:06 PM

The Westmorland Way is a defo for starting early this Friday morning. I will take my camcorder and see if I can make ajob of recording interesting bits although I don't intend lingering anywhere too long, as I want to try and cover as much mileage as possible each day. Its 95 miles and encroaches on parts of the C2C, staring in Appleby, going through Shap, Patterdale and Grasmere, although on a different route, them Troutbeck, Kendal and finishing in Arnside. Hopefully my new tent arrives tomorrow, and Ive got the Lanolin ready.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 18/05/10 10:45 PM

Good luck with that Dave - it'll be interesting to hear how you get on - hope the tent arrives in time for a trial set-up on the back garden,
cheers
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 26/05/10 11:22 AM

Good luck with that Dave - it'll be interesting to hear how you get on - hope the tent arrives in time for a trial set-up on the back garden,
cheers
mick

Hi Mick,
You can see how I got on in the 'Other Walks' section - Westmorland (Sweaty) Way.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 29/07/10 01:01 AM

Well, after months of preparation, starting tomorrow with a revised schedule:

Day 0: RHB - Littlebeck (Hill Fm)
Day 1: Ingleby Cross (Blue Bell)
Day 2: Cringley/Surrender Bridge area or if conditions are good and feet hold may press on to Keld. The owner has kindly offered to do me a bacon butty Sunday morning which should spur me on!
Day 3: Shap
Day 4: (as recce) though may use Wythburn instead of Steel Fell - I reckon there won't be much in it
Day 5: (as recce)

By pushing on 3m to Littlebeck Thurs the thinking is that I'll feel ahead.
On the recce I walked down into Osmotherley at 10.30pm, so I'm looking to 9.30 into Ingleby
(Brian was right - Lordstones now shuts at 5 - he was getting too many bikers it seems - hundreds and hundreds every night, as a small cafe he couldn't cope so he's had to draw a line)

Conditions look favourable with this cool unsettled spell set to continue - hopefully the showers won't be too heavy.
Basic pack weight is just under 8.5lbs with just 670gms of food (5*80gms muesli and a 100g bag of smash with some tea and coffee) and not much in the way of waterproofs... the 15ltr sac is well crammed. Shelter is home-made type of tarp tent with full midge net inner. Train up instaed of that god awful 'Coast Liner' bus.
fingers crossed hey... maybe 3rd time lucky?
Intending posting on twitter (lightweightmick)
cheers
Posted by: Geo

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 29/07/10 02:39 AM

Good luck LWM - give it heaps! smile

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 29/07/10 11:59 AM

cheers, must admit to feeling a bit nervous this time... where's that bog roll..? lol
Posted by: MIKE M

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 29/07/10 03:31 PM

Good Luck Mick. Watching with interest.
MIKE M.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 29/07/10 06:27 PM

All the best Mick, you can do it this time. When you feel knacked as you know you will, just think of all of us on here who are interested in what you do, spurring you on and shouting "Head up, you can do it, keep going!"
Can't wait to read your account of your success.
Dave.
Posted by: Gregg

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/07/10 02:34 AM

Never mind Mick, I know why you are doing it.

Best of luck to you!

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/07/10 08:55 AM

Narrow minded people, would never understand the answer.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/07/10 09:06 AM

Originally Posted By: mister grimsdale
and so light headed mike.....the trek begins!

keen to hear about how you get on with the stove.

and of course keen to understand why the fugg you are doing this at all.

Surely Mr G. You must realise that he is doing this to achieve the same ends as you hope to with your posts. To achieve personal satisfaction. It is only your motives that differ.
Posted by: walkanddrink

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/07/10 02:08 PM

Go for it LW Mick, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and complete it

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 01/08/10 07:57 PM

Go for it Mick.Eager to hear your Triumphant return...or is that a Triumph making an elephant turn???
Good Luck either way.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 01/08/10 09:56 PM

I have been checking Micks 'Twitter'. Last post was on Friday evening reporting that he had made it to Ingleby Cross, some 50 miles in, nothing since.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/08/10 06:26 AM

blimey.

any word on the stove?

Sorry .... I have to admit it! This made me chuckle!

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/08/10 09:59 AM

Just ignore him & he`ll soon get tired & go away

MIKE M
Posted by: First_timer

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/08/10 10:54 AM

According to his Twitter log, he was at Bluebank (near Littlebeck) at 10:24 pm on Thursday evening (as planned), and was at Ingleby Cross at 1:22 pm on Friday. I make that about 36 miles in half a day, assuming he didn't walk the Cleveland Hills overnight! According to his schedule he was due in at Ingleby Cross on Friday evening, so he was ahead of schedule. He must really be motoring.

Keep going Mick!

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/08/10 12:11 PM

UPDATE FROM TWITTER:

Mick left Shap at about 11:30 am this morning (Monday). He says he is 2 hours down. According to his schedule he was supposed to stay in Shap last night. He was aiming to reach Steel Fell by this evening, which might be too much to ask. I suspect he may have to settle for stopping around Grisedale Tarn, which would leave an enormous day tomorrow...

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/08/10 05:30 PM

First Timer,
You seem to be getting different timings off Twitter to what I am getting.
I cant see anything about him leaving Shap at 11.30am today. I think he was scheduled to leave at 6am, so if 2 hours down thats 8am, which would make more sense. It may just be that he didnt send the Tweet until later.
Also Ive have at Ingleby Cross at 10.22pm, he wouldn't have made 36 miles by 1.22pm unless he had walked through the night.
Anyway the main thing is that he is still going and could easily make up that 2 hours, which I am sure he will be determined to do.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/08/10 07:01 PM

See:

http://twitter.com/lightweightmick

At the top he says "Left Shap - 2hrs down". This appeared at 11:30 this morning (I happened to check it just after he left the message and it said "about 18 mins ago via mobile web", although now it says 7 hours ago). He'll now be in a mobile black-spot until he gets to a summit.

It's rather like waiting for news from Mallory and Irvine. They left a criptic message before heading out into the unknown, never to be seen again...

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/08/10 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: First_timer
See:

At the top he says "Left Shap - 2hrs down". This appeared at 11:30 this morning

Yeah, thats what I am saying he sent his Tweet at 11.30am, but probably left Shap much earlier, sending his Tweet en route.
We will find out for sure when he reports later, but that seems the most likely.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/08/10 07:38 PM

That's weird, just checked Twitter again and the times do differ. This is what I get:-
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/08/10 07:44 PM

Suddenly all the times tally!?
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/08/10 06:31 PM

Latest from Mick. "Only made to Grisedale Tarn last, tears at Grasmere, no near yet...."
Gutted for him, I hope he pushes on to finish anyway, in what will still be fast crossing.
Obvious predictable comments will no doubt follow from the one who courageously insults people from behind his entire anonymity. However like myself Mick is ignoring him, not because he causes any aggravation but his complete lack of any 'Bottle' is clear from his comments.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/08/10 09:15 PM

I agree, it's a real shame, but still a remarkable achievement; speed and endurance I can only imagine. Nevertheless, if he can make 160 odd miles I am sure he will manage 190 on a subsequent trip. If Miss Brahms would like a change of recipe for her Hot Pot, I can let her have the list of ingredients for Humble Pie I think she will be needing it!

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/08/10 09:17 PM

Dave,(& all others on the forum)
Ignoring him is the best policy,he needs replies to feed his ego.

Mick was talking about Steel End, Was it his intention to come down to Dumail Raise & climb straight up Steel fell?
I`ve only done it once its almost a scramble near the top.

MIKE M.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/08/10 09:24 PM

The path up Steel Fell from Dunmail Raise... after all that... No wonder he decided to call it a day. That is a really steep climb, even with fresh legs - one of the steepest paths in the district, perhaps only eclipsed by Dore Head or the SW ridge of Great Gable. I know it is a little further, but the Tongue Gill path followed by the path up the Greenburn Valley would be much easier.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/08/10 08:46 AM

Mick did the Steel Fell (bob Graham) climb on his recce, but was considering going down the road towards Thirlmere from Dunmail and up the Wythburn valley to Greenup Edge instead.
As the body gets increasingly tired and the feet become more and more trashed, once time is lost from the schedule it is enormously difficult to get back on track.
As Ive said before, a challenge is only that, if you stand more than an even chance of failure otherwise it wouldn't be a challenge at all.
Mick may have failed in his attempt, but the fact he had the bottle to try makes him a winner for sure, and somehow I don't think he will be finished with it yet.
Looking forward to his account.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/08/10 01:36 PM

Can't believe it - just can't believe how quickly it can all turn around! I gave it my 'best shot' as they say.
When doing E-W the Lakes soon sort you out... with already sore feet the stony tacks chew you up and spit you out...
First Timer was spot on with Grisedale Tarn...
here's how it panned out:

Day0: Arr. Hilltop Fm. before dark
(The Blue Bank Tweet was next am as soon as I got a signal)
Day1: Arr. Blue Bell 9:10pm in time for food - just
Day2: Made it to Cringley Bottom with enough light to get tent up -(no chance of food at Reeth)
Day3: Crosby Ravensworth Moor - again just enough light left to get tent up - midge tent proved useful here...
Day4: Grisedale Tarn arr 8pm (decision point: stay put or descend) chose to put down for night - felt it would be unwise to continue even though ill equipped for high level camp
Day5: Painful descent into Grasmere for around 11am

Continuing on Day5 may have got me to Ennerdale Bridge but certainly not St.Bees!

Nursing v sore feet today - possible infection left foot, but less likelihood of stress fracture after discussion over phone with Out of Hrs doctor last night (like a balloon last night! - can just about put it to the floor today...) elevating and taking Ibruprofen to reduce swelling - thinking of taking up gardening... no forseeable plans for another 5 day attempt - it's a shame after all the effort and training but I know when I'm beat!
Very much wish I could say otherwise...

cheers all,
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/08/10 03:50 PM

Hay mate Never say Never.
Given time to heal you`ll be back, fitter, stronger & a lot wiser next time. How many times did Mark Cudahy have a go at P.W.?
Great Effort.
MIKE M.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/08/10 04:58 PM

Mick,
I know you are disappointed but 150 mile (ish) in 4.5 days is no mean feat. We never know how the feet are going to hold up, do we, sometimes you get away with it, other times...
When things get bad those miles seem to get longer and longer and then comes the point that you probably reached in Grasmere, when even 10 miles (not a lot by comparison) may as well be a hundred.
You say you gave it your all and I am sure you did, but it has been your best attempt so far, so you can take some positive from that, and dont forget Ronald Turnbull was a much younger man when he managed it.
Great effort!
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/08/10 07:04 PM

9 attempts I think without digging out 'Wild Trails'
cheers Mike, thanks mate

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/08/10 07:25 PM

It's not easy to get it right - so many variables - just rinsed out the trail shoes, which has reminded me that I'd swapped the insoles for thicker and softer ones (from a pair of 874's) - now thinking that the original firmer ones would have been a better choice... and I reckon I must have passed the 500m shoe 'wear out' point at some point as I didn't seem to be getting enough heal cushioning with the pack
Better foot management this time helped to stave off blisters until half way at least. Half way isn't a geographical point though, rather like a marathon where half way isn't 13m but nearer 18m-20m. Maybe this puts an E-W half way nearer to Orton, as that's when it began to bite back.
But yes, certainly, best effort so far... Eddie the Eagle without skis lol...
cheers mate

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/08/10 08:46 PM

I will be extremely lucky to be able to have ago myself this year. The night will soon begin to draw in with a vengeance and if i can't make it before September, there's not much point.
Working 6 days a week at the moment so cant take time off especially with the Taxman on my case.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/08/10 11:20 PM

There's nothing worse than covering the last few miles in the dark on headtorch, then having to put the tent up and then start preparing food... on the plus side if the mileage is in there is more opportunity for rest, but the pace has to be spot on as there's less room for error. One of the joys of autumn/winter ventures is time in the tent with a candle on in the cookpot but a five dayer doesn't allow for this.
Plus side for me is that I managed to get an appointment to see my practice nurse who thinks my own defences are coping okay so no need for antibiotics, but they've ballooned up again this evening... can't see me up ladders tomorrow,
cheers
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/08/10 01:40 AM

LWM,
Too bad you didn't quite achieve that particular goal. Sounds like you gave it a decent whirl though - good on you.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/08/10 09:02 PM

An amazing feat Mr G and one that gets my whole hearted congratulations. I didn't realise that people still did the Blue Man walk. Are the waymarks still there?

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/08/10 11:18 PM

what an obnoxious toad you are Mr G. LWM has achieved an incredible feat and I congratulate him on that. Having take 12 days to complete the walk in May I knoe how hard it is, please think before you post and if you have nothing good to say then don't say it

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/08/10 11:30 PM

Ignoring him is the best policy,he needs replies to feed his ego.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 06/08/10 06:15 AM

"to be honest i was walking it to see if it could be done as a cheeky mountain bike ride. i have this view that footpaths should be able to used for mountain biking based on some loose criteria around sustainability and level of use by walkers".

The Forestry Commission, as the landowners over which the route passes, have the authority to grant higher powers of access to rights of way which cross their property. They can increase the powers without resort to costly legal changes but cannot downgrade access rights.

They are, in general, very supportive of cycling as it brings in a good income to them from access and franchise payments. Where a footpath is incompatible with cycling they try and signpost this and provide an alternative cycle path (as in Dalby Forest). However, cyclists, if they have a right of usage, must give way to walkers.

Call in at ant forest info centre where you are and they will update you, it may not be necessary to undertake surreptitious rides!

The main issue with using of bikes on footpaths revolves around a little known fact that usage by cycles legally creates a road. If you look at the old Rosedale railway line, a well used cycle route, it is a concessionary route. When the landowner tried to dedicate it is as a bridleway he fell foul of this quirk ad was stymied.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 06/08/10 11:43 PM

well well well.

this little forum is subdued.

let me cheer you all up.

off to scotland this weekend to do ben nevis with the kids ( for me 'again' for some of the kids it'll be 'a first' )

we'll be slow - the youngest is seven although the oldest is eighteen - but we'll have a great time. we'll enjoy the views. we'll encourage each other. we'll stop often for a snack and a laugh. the challenge is to do it as a group ; together. for sure we'll all finish.

isn't that what the outdoors is about?

You're right, because if that scenario gives you pleasure then it's perfect for you. Because if the outdoors is 'about' anything, then I would think it's about everyone enjoying themselves in the way that appeals to them personally. Some like to be part of a group, some like the solo experience. Some like to stroll, some like to leg it. Some like to personally challenge themselves beyond their limit and some like to remain within the boundaries of a comfort zone. Some enjoy a combination of all these. As long as they're not impacting on the enjoyment of others then it's all good and I wouldn't think that any particular modus operandi is any better nor any worse than another. In fact it might be a bit unimaginative and even a bit crowded if we all went about things the same way. Enjoy your walk.
Posted by: Gregg

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 07/08/10 01:06 AM

Mr G, I took my son and daughter and grandson to Ben Nevis two years ago, but we didn't exactly stay together. My son was pumped up about the annual footrace the week before, so ran to the top and back. Not a bad time compared to the runners the previous week. We were cheering him on but he had a long wait for us at the center.
It was a great way to finish the WHW.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 07/08/10 08:37 AM

"a nice pint at the end in the moorcock at langdale end."

This pub, sadly, went downhill alarmingly once they removed the drainpipe and bucket and installed proper mens' toilets (my wife never actually found a ladies). Come back Ada Martindale!

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 07/08/10 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Geo
well well well.

this little forum is subdued.

let me cheer you all up.

off to scotland this weekend to do ben nevis with the kids ( for me 'again' for some of the kids it'll be 'a first' )

we'll be slow - the youngest is seven although the oldest is eighteen - but we'll have a great time. we'll enjoy the views. we'll encourage each other. we'll stop often for a snack and a laugh. the challenge is to do it as a group ; together. for sure we'll all finish.

isn't that what the outdoors is about?

You're right, because if that scenario gives you pleasure then it's perfect for you. Because if the outdoors is 'about' anything, then I would think it's about everyone enjoying themselves in the way that appeals to them personally. Some like to be part of a group, some like the solo experience. Some like to stroll, some like to leg it. Some like to personally challenge themselves beyond their limit and some like to remain within the boundaries of a comfort zone. Some enjoy a combination of all these. As long as they're not impacting on the enjoyment of others then it's all good and I wouldn't think that any particular modus operandi is any better nor any worse than another. In fact it might be a bit unimaginative and even a bit crowded if we all went about things the same way. Enjoy your walk.

Exactly. Mr G's Narrow minded view followed by Geo's broad minded view.
Dave.
Posted by: c2cer

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 07/08/10 09:48 PM

Mr G. Before berating anyone about spelling, you should check your earlier post to lightweightmick. Your attempt at spelling necessary is clearly spelt wrongly.
Posted by: c2cer

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 10/08/10 10:49 PM

It was you who started the spelling debate you moron. Why do you bother to come on a site where everyone clearly gets on well together and criticise all the time ?

Single child maybe,parents working all the time,boarding school,always got his own way.........obviously produced a twa* of all proportions.

Don't bother to respond dickhead,you're in the recycle bin.
Posted by: MarkF

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 10/08/10 11:18 PM

So! That only leaves "twa*"

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 11/08/10 06:23 AM

Well ........... that's the niceties out the way. How was Ben Nevis? Are the access turnstiles on the summit working again?

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 11/08/10 07:31 AM

Mr G,

It is a pity you didn't actually read all of c2cer's post. The first clause of your response says it all.

PS. Your spelling is slipping - check out some of your other posts in the last day.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 11/08/10 08:46 AM

Egoist

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 11/08/10 12:13 PM

Be ready now for a long debate as to whether you meant Egotist!!!!!
Posted by: mickey

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 11/08/10 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Be ready now for a long debate as to whether you meant Egotist!!!!!

/Grabs popcorn

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 11/08/10 02:39 PM

before he comments,

Egoist
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Egoist may refer to:

* A person with self-involvement amounting to egoism, possibly an egotist (i.e., selfish person)

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 11/08/10 02:45 PM

Just imagine spending a day out walking with him, no, that's too horrible, don't even think about it.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 12/08/10 06:19 AM

BTW why do walkers think it's ok to deposit used banana skins on any mountain top?

I've no idea .... but my favourite litter pick was a bikini top lying on top of deep snow one January 1st on a Dales hill. there must be a story behind it!

I think that the 2 years is a theory rather than a fact. Some were thrown over a fence in a Dales field to which we have no access. Gone within a couple of weeks.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 16/08/10 01:16 PM

cheers Geo... good effort, it's become something of a personal quest lol... I reckon not being able to get fed at Reeth was the turning point now the dust has settled. Maybe a mental seed of doubt sown there gained a foothold..?

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 28/08/10 12:38 PM

After such a good recce and near miss (38m/7hrs short), now the dust has settled a bit, and as I can't at present see a way to arrive at the Lakes with feet in a good enough state to negotiate those last 60m's steep stony paths..., an W-E crossing may be achievable...?

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 28/08/10 04:04 PM

Ah Ha, I knew it! Face it Mick, it will drive you mad until you do it.
Come on then first to make a W-E!?
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/08/10 01:43 PM

ha ha - you can have 1st crack at it... settled on a schedule yet?
mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/08/10 04:25 PM

Mick,

Ever since we finished, we've been speculating at how fast we could walk it. There were tales of super fast crossings from lots of people all the way across. Did you follow the 'official' route (eg from Harvey's maps) all the way? Did you cut off any big corners, such as road from Robin Hoods Bay to Littlebeck, or the road between Kirby Stephen and Keld? When is a quicker diversion permissible and a C2C crossing still count?

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/08/10 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Slogger
Ah Ha, I knew it! Face it Mick, it will drive you mad until you do it.
Dave.

I will be in the Lakes in October and am planning the first official S-N crossing.
With careful planning I reckon I could make the attempt in approx.4 seconds.
This may take some beating Slogger...

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/08/10 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Reluctanttrucker
[quote=Slogger]Ah Ha, I knew it! Face it Mick, it will drive you mad until you do it.
Dave.

I will be in the Lakes in October and am planning the first official S-N crossing.
With careful planning I reckon I could make the attempt in approx.4 seconds.
This may take some beating Slogger...
[/quote

Yeah but are you camping or B&B!?
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/08/10 09:51 PM

ha ha - you can have 1st crack at it... settled on a schedule yet?
mick

Again this year is looking increasingly unlikely, so looks like i will just have to try and have an active winter.
Schedule? Sort of, but don't know if the first two days are possible.
The way I am thinking is, get to Grisedale Tarn from a 4am start. Then to Orton on the second day. If that works out without problems apart from fatigue of course,then the remaining 3 days will sort themselves out. If necessary walking through the night to finish on the last day.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/08/10 10:52 PM

We think the following 8 day schedule is achievable for us, allowing a crossing in one week (Sat-Sun):

1. St Bees to Rosthwaite (30 miles)
2. Rosthwaite to Patterdale (16 miles)
3. Patterdale to Orton (25 miles)
4. Orton to Keld (24 miles)
5. Keld to Richmond (21 miles)
6. Richmond to Ingleby Cross (23 miles)
7. Ingleby Cross to Blakey (21 miles)
8. Blakey to Robin Hoods Bay (29 miles)

Some of the longer legs could be shortened (particularly near the start and finish, and along the road avoiding 9 standards) but would this be considered cheating in many peoples' minds?
Posted by: flatlands

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 30/08/10 11:47 PM

Can't see it being cheating, using the the road. Yes, maybe taking the van unless you had a injury like a gammy knee and need some tlc on it.

I was up on Wild Boar Fell on Sunday and my left knee was giving me some hell on the descent and I'm doing the Coast to Coast in 2 weeks time.

I would consider the van for missing out a tough section or two, never mind what other people think of it. I said to my fellow walker about my knee and said, well I can always mountain bike the Coast to Coast instead of walking if my knee don't hold up to the walking. He say's that cheating, utter rubbish, I answered back.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 31/08/10 02:57 PM

Cheating? In many peoples mind, maybe. Would it be in yours, that's what matters.
For me in my mind it would be a failure on my part, but to others it may be acceptable and that's okay, nothing wrong in that.
You have to make up your own mind what you are happy with and stick with your decision.
You will feel you cheated or failed if you decide to stay on a route all the way, but end up deciding part way, to take an easier alternative. So stay with what you planned at the start.
I think people can only be seen as cheating if they make out they have done something they haven't, or omit to mention the alternative they took.
Dave.
Posted by: flatlands

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 31/08/10 03:27 PM

Although I'm back-packing the Coast to Coast shortly next month, I may use the Sherpa Van to take my rucksac to some of the hostels I've booked up and carry a cheap pound shop foldaway rucsac. I always thought people who had their gear carried by the van was sort of cheating in my view, but beginning to think it's good thing going. I always wondered why some coast to coaster's were happy and jolly in the pub.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 31/08/10 04:11 PM

Flatlands

I had my heavy kit transported each day, my objective was to complete the walk and happily I did. I did see lots of people struggle who were trying to carry everything with them and for me that would have ruined my walk and yes I was happy in the pub on a night time!!

Mick

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 31/08/10 06:24 PM

I have not reached the stage where I would use such services and am happy carrying my gear, AND also happy in the pub.
These carrier services have made doing an LDP possible for lots of people who otherwise would not be able to, or even think about doing them.
Those that do use them are not cheating, they are just doing the walk in a different way to the backpacker or B&B'er carrying their gear.
I wouldn't worry about what anyone else may thinks or how others are doing it, do it your way.
In a competitive scenario, comparisons can only be made when all the parameters are the same - route, accommodation, walk all or run some, etc.
Dave.
Posted by: tim smith

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 31/08/10 07:57 PM

JUST ENJOY THE WALK OR WHAT EVER WAY YOU DECIDE TO COVER
THE DISTANCE

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 31/08/10 11:32 PM

I've only ever had the Footprint and O/S maps...
Just for the record, I'm not keen on using road sections as short cuts as I don't think they present an 'ethical line', however I have developed some alternatives and detail as follows:

1) From the slipway I bear right in front of the Bay Hotel - after about 50yds there is a gap to the sea wall, which leads via some steps to a nice bit of 'parkland' where the path comes to the mini roundabout.

2)At 2m I take the path up at Rain Dale to the former railway trackbed (as I don't like the route that comes up through the caravan park) this is a little shorter by about 1/2m. However I wouldn't consider this and 'ethical' finish for some reason...

3) On all previous occasions I've snuck up Hawsker Intake road only to get soaked at the top - this time I stayed on the road to the T junction and joined the track that leads to the Graystone Crossing (to miss this would be unethical in my book)

4) May Beck woods should be included - my preferred line is the footpath from opposite the end of Raikes Lane to the bend in the road at New May Beck then L down the road.

5) Black Brow should be included from the Blue Bank road to where it comes out near the quarry track above the cattle grid (or, more correctly the ROW to the W of the quarry). I've always included this - even in thick mist - though I think it's probably easier to follow this when going E-W - I came out a tad farther up the road this time and include a note on the video diary as to where it comes out. It's interesting to note that Mike Hartley could find no trace of a path here on his record run (or his recce for same)

6)From the head of Great Fryup Dale I use George Gap Causeway and cut across the head of Rosedale to pick up the trackbed at the back of the Lion Inn - a more interesting line (and one I got wrong on this last attempt) that avoids quite a bit of road walking, but the descent/ascent into and out of the dale balances out any distance saved. From Dale Head the Lion Inn can be included if desired as I did on last year's attempt via Overend Fm.

7)E-W the most ethical approach to Lord Stones is via all 3 climbs... Hasty, Cold Moor and Cringle, but I've only included all 3 in the recce as this comes tough at the end of a long day... this year I included the 1st 2 and missed Lord Stones by 10 mins...

8) There is a perfectly good ROW that drops steeply down into Arnecliffe Wood from GR466002. This avoids the summit of Beacon Hill and the dogleg past the radio mast station - good for me this time as I needed to get down to the Blue Bell before 9:30pm! Unfortunatley forestry work in progress made this difficult to follow... but I made it to the bar for 9:10 - had I taken the established route I doubt whether I'd have got a meal that night.

9) On my 1st attempt in 2006 I took the Lovesome Hill route - this wasn't clear on the ground - since then I've followed the more popular line from Oaktree Hill. The footpath line has been reinstated from GR355986 to 351986, which was a pleasant surprise...

10) this time, a 1st, after Danby Wiske, I picked up the footpath behind West Farm to Streetlam - better as it breaks the road section up a bit.

11) On 1st attempt I used the road from Kiplin Hall to Brompton-on-Swale and next morning to Richmond - this was due to torrential rain - not an ethical line... since used Hodber Hill and Bolton Beck, Catterick Bridge - StGiles - the established route. It would be a shame to miss the Swale at Iron Banks...

12) It would be tempting for runners to use the road from Marske and continue up Hard Stiles. The wind always seems to be fresh here across to Marske Hall. But to miss Ellers and the Nuns Steps would be unethical I feel. Though my route now skirts Marrick... even though there are some pesky little critters at Helmsley Hse!

13) I don't know what it is but the section of moor from the top of Skelgate Lane to Cringley Bottom does my head in... maybe because it comes at the end of a long day for me on a 5 day schedule. I got it wrong in fading light on the recce, staying on a track to the back of Moorcock only to think I might get too far up onto the moor and bottled it once again in fading light to Thirns... argh!

13) I've only used the high level route, but don't like the Bunton Hush descent, preferring to drop more directly to the smelt mill and slab footbridge a little farther on.

14) Most Coasters use the track to Ravenseat - I came unstuck trying to keep to the footpath this time only to find the stile completely blocked off..! So much for 'ethical line'... (though Footprint do have the track route highlighted) the blocked stile is around mile mark 91.

15) My preferred route is by the shooting cabin and Colbergh Side. I don't think it's that bad up there that anyone should need to use the road personally, though I may have been lucky to date...

16) Ronald Turnbull suggests a better route on descending Hartley Fell - on reaching the road take a footpath left to skirt Birkett Hill and Ewebank Scar - this comes out across the field near Frank's Bridge, though I've used the road to date, this route would certainly be an improvement going either way.

17) Having used the Severals, Ewefell, Mazon Wath, Acres route I've settled for the Brownber/Ravenstonedale Moor alternative as used by some Coasters using Bents Fm. I've worked out there is no more road walking involved, though it does all come at the end through Raisebeck to Orton, though it is largely downhill.

18) Bullflat route out of Orton to the dry valley that drops to Robin Hood's Grave has been used so far, but, as last two crossings have been in fading light, I've picked up a track before the RHG cairn that commands a view over the correct line. There is a thin track that cuts across to rejoin the main route. Where the landrover track extends to I'm not sure, but to leave out the erratic boulder and summit of Crosby Ravensworth Fell could be considered unethical..? But then there's the Black Dub monument...

19) On last year's recce, as it got dark on the top, I used the road from Oddendale out past Scar Plantation on the assumption that my support driver would be on her way up to meet me (time was getting on...) She was in fact downing a nice cold lager in the Bulls Head and I limped almost to the M6 bridge before those dim headlights came into view... The ethical line is past the Nab and those pesky ponies... and is what I followed early doors (though not as early as should have been...) this time

20) Another variation for me (taken last attempt and recce) is to follow field footpaths more directly to Rosgill... not much in it though.

21) Haweswater can be a slog, so for the 2nd time I've used the Measand End - High Raise alternative that rejoins the established route at Rampsgill Head. After wading through chest high bracken this time though, the rest of the climb turned into a slog also - again not much in it from the Kidsty Howes route. Kidsty Pike can be included from this route though if desired.

22) I've tried the Dunmail Raise/Steel Fell alternative, which appears to be shorter on the map... but wouldn't recommend it going W-E. This time I descended on the Tongue Gill path...

23) If using Stonethwaite as I did on the recce, turning left on the road, delivers a short path right that rejoins the route up to Honister. This avoids both Rosthwaite and Seatoller but misses the chain hand-hold section by the river.

24) Personal choice rather than ethical line, but as Wainwright's up there, Haystacks has to be a better choice than Loft Beck..? unless you're using Black Sail of course, but the alt. route has a choice of 2 bothies...

25) If using the Haystacks alt. you'll want the footpath that cuts diagonally across the hillside from/to Scarth Gap.

26) The S shore path is better than the N shore path though harder work. 1st attempt I kept to the road to Ennerdale bridge...

27) ...and used the Flat fell alternative as highlighted on the Footprint map. On the recce I took the Dent Fell route - stiff little killer on tired legs from Nannycatch but well worth it.

28) I don't think it makes any difference whether the cycle track is used or not...

29) ...but it takes discipline to turn right off the lighthouse road and head for the old quarry and Saltom Bay, but Wainwright wanted to add just that extra bit of misery for anyone foolish enough to attempt an E-W crossing...
there are only 3 possible 'ethical' escape routes for the injured (though definitely not the B5345!)

a) continue to the radio mast and turn right
b) continue up to Tarnflatt and the lighthouse
c) take a left and make for Fleswick Bay

(all include St Bees Head finish)

If reduced to a crawl on all fours, only then is it permissable to head down the road from Sandwith to Rottington to find the short footpath to the 'official' finish.
Posted by: Itsalongway

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/09/10 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: flatlands
Although I'm back-packing the Coast to Coast shortly next month, I may use the Sherpa Van to take my rucksac to some of the hostels I've booked up and carry a cheap pound shop foldaway rucsac. I always thought people who had their gear carried by the van was sort of cheating in my view, but beginning to think it's good thing going. I always wondered why some coast to coaster's were happy and jolly in the pub.

For me, it was about enjoying it, not enduring it. That's why we had our bags carried.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/09/10 02:15 PM

On the last night this year I set up at Grisedale Tarn next to a guy who's wife had been diagnosed with cancer - he was in the Lakes with his ageing dog of 18(!) finding some space away from the emotional turmoil in his life I suppose - he and his wife had worked side by side for years as dry stone wallers he told me...
He asked why I wanted to cover the route in 5 days, having already covered it in 7, which he regarded as quick... I had no ready answer as I picked at my bowl of Smash... and still don't, but if you are fortunate enough not to have something in your life that drives you to seek some kind of physical limit and be content to enjoy the great outdoors more in the spirit they deserve then I admire you and others who seek a little solitude without the misery of pain and hunger... nice one,
lwm

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/09/10 03:47 PM

I echo those words Mick. I too am driven to do do things the hard way it seems, why I don't know either. Perhaps it's the competitive, enthusiastic very fit company I keep, even though most are a lot younger than mine own 64 years. Like me they too are always pushing to improve and become better.
I tell my customers that the best holiday and way of relaxing for me, is go on a long hard walk.
Many of them are walkers too, and I also tell them that sometimes I wish I could be satisfied with walking a route at 'normal' pace, not doing quite so many daily miles, or booking B&B accommodation.
The thing is I get a real kick out of doing hard walks, even when totally knacked at the end of the day. I am fortunate enough to be actively very fit, and trying to remain so.
The harder it is, the more i enjoy the success. Enduring the challenge, yes, but enjoying it all the way, despite the blisters, aching body, discomfort and yes, even the failures.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/09/10 04:07 PM

LWM,
One thing with my forthcoming attempt, is that with my schedule, i may have a problem getting supplies and being fed.
Rough proposed outline is.
1. 4am St. Bees to Grisedale Tarn, pos food at Rostwaite (4pm) may be too late at Grasmere.
2. 4am Grisedale Tarn to Sunbiggin Tarn, pos food at Shap?
3. 4am ST to short of Richmond, pos food at Keld?
4. 4am near Richmond to Clay Bank Top, pos food at Ing Cross?
5. 4am CBT to Robin hoods bay, pos food at Gromont?
What do you think regarding food places, also is wild camping pos at destinations?
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/09/10 11:33 PM

Hi Dave,
you're a better man than me if you can get off each morning for 4am...
food:
1) should be okay for bar meal at Traveller's Rest, Mill Bridge. I ate here on 1st attempt around 7pm
2) you'll be too early for Patterdale PO for sure. Chippy open in Shap till 8pm as I remember - and there's always the option of a detour to Orton?
3) again you'll be too early through Kirkby Stephen with just 10m from SBT
4) again you'll miss out on a good food stop at Richmond and you'll be relying heavily on IngX as, like me, you'll miss out on that valuable oasis Lord Stones
5) should be okay for food in Grosmont I would say

last thing you want is to hanging about waiting for somewhere to open and it's a downer to come away from a planned food stop empty-handed...

wild camps:
1) A popular spot with only so many flat areas, but there are chances over the top into Grisedale - near the stream - I saw someone down there on my way up Early August. Chances are though you'll be kicking around on headtorch which won't help?
2) should be okay somewhere around there - cetainly opportunities on Ravonstonedale Moor, depending on chosen route.
3) think there's a bunkhse at East Applegarth, though there may be somewhere under the scar there - according to Footprint there's camping at Marrick (may have shower? - may be worth chasing up?)
4) you'll have passed Green Bank and Lord Stones - toilets open for campers after cafe shuts (5pm now) from here to RHB just about okay for me from Sneaton Moor (8m to go) so could be a stretch on bad legs Dave... and those last 3 climbs of the day will come harsh on sore legs - esp. as you want to stay with orig. route

- can't be of more help as the schedule is very different from what I'm used to... If you could slide it all back a couple of hours so places were open as you came through (ie Patterdale PO, KS and Richmond and maybe make for a shorter last day, say last camp at the Lion? (25m left to go) ...or just carry some extra? (I only had one packet of emergency Smash that had to do 2 meals in the end)

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/09/10 07:09 AM

Once you pass Haggs Gate the moor becomes very exposed until Glaisdale with opportunities for sheltered wild camping very restricted. (Exposed camping is, of course, possible, but, if the conditions are like last Sunday, they are a non starter).

You can find sheltered sites just south of Garfitts Nick (553034) or along the old Jet Miners track which runs due north of Hasty Bank along the southern edge of the trees.

Depending on time, you could also clear Urra (Round Hill) and drop down into the upper reaches of Farndale. Plenty of scope for sheltered camping along the infant river's banks and the water is (or has been to me) safe to drink.

Clay Bank itself (as has Sheepwash/Scarth Nick/ Wheeldale Gill) has been plagued by flycampers from the northern towns causing devastation to the area and there are frequent police/park patrols on weekend evenings moving people on (it is also the grouse shooting season, and, much of the land is owned by the Duchy of Lancaster)

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/09/10 09:17 AM

Why don't you cache some food along the route. A few ziplock bags in an old paint tin to keep the wildlife out and bury them or hide them up a drain etc. Come back later and collect the rubbish.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/09/10 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkF
Why don't you cache some food along the route. A few ziplock bags in an old paint tin to keep the wildlife out and bury them or hide them up a drain etc. Come back later and collect the rubbish.

I have actually stashed some supplies near Shap, however I will have to see what state they are in, as they have been there since May, whilst walking the Westmorland way.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 05/09/10 05:36 PM

Thanks Mick and SC, I have printed off your replies, and will take them with me.
I will see how it goes with early starts and getting fed. Allowing for 16 hours daily walking, 2 hours for stops and 6 hours sleep, with our ever shortening daylight hours, I want to have the tent up, between 9pm and 10pm.
I would rather set off early (4am) and look forward the sunrise than set off later and have to walk into the nightfall.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 08/09/10 09:48 PM

...well I think Dave will most certainly have acheived that objective tonight! With a proper tent (thinking he's opted for the light Terra Nova) he'll be better prepared for windy conditions than I was on my attempt spending a very chilly night with very sore feet - getting little sleep as the wind took away warmth from under the tarp and most of it out of the sleeping bag!
Go Dave!

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 02/11/13 03:07 PM

Going through 2010 videos, found this - on the move, comparing Buxton mineral water to fine wine lol

you tube

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/11/13 01:35 PM

Ha,ha, personaly I prefer Chocolate Eclaires to Jelly Babies. I was trying to make out where you were, but can't remember that small section. Where was that new footbridge?
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 03/11/13 09:28 PM

Footbridge is at Ellers Dave - video from around SE090995 to gate stile in wall at SE086992 - going E-W just after Hollins Fm enroute to Marrick.
This year's route choice stayed on Hard Stiles of course on a more direct line to Reeth.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/11/13 04:01 PM

Ah, yeah now I remember. Don't mention Hollins farm though, that's where I spent a good 2 hours wandering around in the dark trying to find the route, on my first crossing W-E. Doing that same section E-W in bright sunshine, I couldn't understand why I'd had so much trouble, but youve only got to miss that first stile, as I did.
Dave.

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/11/13 09:11 PM

Ha ha - I didn't want to say 'near where you got lost in the dark Dave', though can see how easy that would be in the dark - was it the stile near the 2 old landrovers..? That stile in the barbed wire fence there would be so easy to miss...
Lol, we could write a book about getting lost in the dark...
I must have looked a sorry sight hobbling through Stockdale with a broken branch for a crutch... ah dear...

Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? - 04/11/13 11:50 PM

I missed the stile in the fence almost oppositte where you cross the farm track. I went further along the track to the trees and followed the wall/fence left and eventually into the trees, before clambering over the wall. That must have put me in the right field, I think but too far right. Then met another wall, followed that to a little Copse - no way through, so back along that wall trying to find a way through. Came to the back of the farm, so up the field again, back to the Copse. Over a gate there into another field, but lights from a lonely bungalow. Didn't want them seeing my headtorch, so went into another field. many stops to look at useless map and a GPS that had lost battery power.
Then finally realised that the route came out onto the road to Marrick which went West to East, so took a Northern bearing on the compass - came to another wall. Eeny, meanie, Miny mow, which way do we go? Went left, it curved round and lo and behold met the road. Clambered over and Eurika!
Of course shortly after that I took a wrong turning to the right, missing the left turn at the junction, with the BIG C2C sign! Finally arrived in Richmond around midnight.
A bit of a cock up evening you might say.
Dave.