Danby Wiske

Posted by: Fell_Over

Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 02:07 PM

Hi all...........

i was reading a thread on here a while back and i noticed a post saying that the White Swan in Danby Wiske will reopen in the spring.Does anyone know where the link is(cant find it now), because i would like to contact the White Swan and my google search only found old details.

Thankyou.
Posted by: Speedywheels

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 03:25 PM

Mountain Girl reckons she managed to make contact White Swan

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Speedywheels
Mountain Girl reckons she managed to make contact White Swan

Thats the one.Just sent an enquiry to thier new email address.Many thanks.

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 04:18 PM

One last thing...............(sorry),

Does anyone know the actual distance from Osmotherly YH to the Lion Inn,Blakey.And then from the Lion Inn to Robin Hoods Bay.Is 2 days doable?

Thanks in advance
Posted by: Stottie

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Fell_Over

Does anyone know the actual distance from Osmotherly YH to the Lion Inn,Blakey.And then from the Lion Inn to Robin Hoods Bay.Is 2 days doable?

Thanks in advance

Don't know the distances, but I'm a 3mph walker and seldom take long lunch breaks, so the following might be useful to you.
Left Osmotherley 9am, arrived Lion 5.15pm. Didn't want to go further, even though there's no more climbing, because the day along the roller-coaster of the moors had tired me somewhat.

Left Lion 8.30am, arrived Littlebeck 2.30pm after 45-minute break at Grosmont, could easily have continued to RHB and would have arrived early evening.

Eminently doable, and if I hadn't made my bookings I'd probably have pressed on and finished.
Posted by: ruth020989

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 05:19 PM

of course achievable.

ozzie - lion as mister stottie suggests

lion - rhb :

- lion to glaisdale c3hrs
- glaisdale - grosmont c1hr
- grosmont - rhb c6hrs ( assuming you stick to 'official' route all the way )

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Stottie

Thanks in advance

Don't know the distances, but I'm a 3mph walker and seldom take long lunch breaks, so the following might be useful to you.
Left Osmotherley 9am, arrived Lion 5.15pm. Didn't want to go further, even though there's no more climbing, because the day along the roller-coaster of the moors had tired me somewhat.

Left Lion 8.30am, arrived Littlebeck 2.30pm after 45-minute break at Grosmont, could easily have continued to RHB and would have arrived early evening.

Eminently doable, and if I hadn't made my bookings I'd probably have pressed on and finished.

Hey thanks pete,

I earlier sent an enquiry to the Lion Inn,Blakey and they have just replied informing me that they no longer do b&b.This could be a problem for my itinerary.Basically i am booked into Osmotherley and for several reasons want to complete the C2C over 2 days from here.If i cant stop at Blakey..........any doable suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 05:38 PM

Oops..........got that last one wrong.Sorry.
Anyway,thanks for the info.
This thread can be closed

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 05:38 PM

however i would recommend mountain biking from lion to grosmont ; a classic moors route ; mostly downhill ; very fast ; you'll then need to pick your route through a variety of bridleways to rhb but you'll be there for lunchtime.

you'll pass a continuous stream of plodding walkers and begin to appreciate what 'popularity' and 'accessibility' really mean. you'll in all liklihood spook some of them as you approach from behind and you'll appreciate that not all walkers think nice thoughts and say nice things. watch out...they can be a bit precious.

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 05:43 PM

of course the lion inn does b&b.

did your email have a southern accent?
Posted by: slowcoach

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 09:05 PM

The Lion Inn certainly stilldoes Bed and Breakfast, the prices are on their website. The real issue is that they are moving more towards guaranteed bookings from the Middlesbrough toffs rather than single bed walkers who are not always turning up. I passed last Sunday and their car park was reasonably full. If you are arriving midweek there should be little problem booking from your previous stopping point, weekends could be a tad more problematic if they won't accept a booking.

An alternative is to catch the Moorsbus service that stops outside the pub. From the pub you can catch a bus direct into Hutton (very expensive accommodation) or Castleton (far cheaper). If you continue to Ralph Cross can also travel into Rosedale Abbey and there is another service into Castleton (that doesn't pass the Lion) from here. There is also the bunkhouse at Sinnington.

The timetable is usually out well before Easter, usually about February, but the timings may be awkward. This year a bus left Castleton for Ralphs just before 10. They run weekends most of the Summer (with a limited midweek service) with a service everyday during the mains school holidays.

You can also catch a train from Castleton to the larger villages EG the 9.15 (approx) train from Glaisdale connects with the 10am (approx) bus.

Failing that, some B and B in Castleton will come and pick you up and drop you back the next day. Contact them and ask.
Posted by: lightweightmick

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 09:22 PM

Thanks in advance

Footprint makes it about 21.5m from the YH (via Beacon Hill) and 30 to RHB (est. YH @ 140, Lion 161.5 and RHB 191.5) - Footprint miles are generous but as Stottie points out the up and down can make 'em feel about right,
cheers
lwm

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 10:44 PM

If you can't ge in at The Lion another possibility is to leave the railway just after Bloworth Crossing and head down Farndale. There is accommodation at the Feversham Arms at Church Houses. You can then rejoin the route by walking up Blakey Bank to the Lion. It doesn't hardly add any distance at all. Be careful if you eat at the Feversham Arms ... the meals are enormous. I've never met anyone able to eat a dessert after one of their main meals!

Re: Danby Wiske - 26/11/09 11:16 PM

'boro toffs.

do such things exist?

they've all moved from south bank to great ayton haven't they?
Posted by: lightweightmick

Re: Danby Wiske - 27/11/09 12:05 PM

Dale Head Fm told me they were going to start doing B&B - this would mean cutting across the head of Rosedale. May be worth a try - it's the same as has the campsite, about a mile on from Lion Inn

Re: Danby Wiske - 27/11/09 06:35 PM

Ok guys thanks.
The itinerary is complete now for May.

Osmotherley to Lion Inn,Blakey and then Lion Inn to Robin Hoods Bay will be 50 miles for the final 2 days,just hope the adrenalin carries me through.

In the meantime i just need to decide whether to wear my Brashers only,or to take my Merrell Chameleons too!

Bye now

Re: Danby Wiske - 27/11/09 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ruth020989
'boro toffs.

do such things exist?

they've all moved from south bank to great ayton haven't they?

I don't wish to challenge your noteworthy accuracy in any way whatsoever but did you really mean "all"? I could have understood "both" but perhaps a third one is now counted as a Middlesbrough toff. Do you know his/her name or does he/she wag his/her tail?

Re: Danby Wiske - 28/11/09 10:00 PM

I have now been advised to wear the mentioned boots only and to leave my Merrell Chameleon trainers at home because they would be of no use considering i will be carrying a packweight of 16 kilos.Damn.
Posted by: Reluctanttrucker

Re: Danby Wiske - 28/11/09 10:06 PM

I have now been advised to wear the mentioned boots only and to leave my Merrell Chameleon trainers at home because they would be of no use considering i will be carrying a packweight of 16 kilos.Damn.

16 KILOS? BLIMEY O'Riley!Thats even heavier than my predicted 15.97 KILOS!
Mind you, the tent is gonna be 14.97 kilos of that,unless someone buys it off me befor June 6th
Posted by: BobTheFish

Re: Danby Wiske - 16/12/09 11:58 AM

Yes thank to mountain girl, I have now made contact with the White Swan and booked my accomadation! All I have to do now is keep to the timetable, I'm planning to do it mid may in 9 days!!

by the way the e-mail address for the White Swan is
[email protected]
and the contact name is Gill.

BTF