Thought this might be of interest...

Posted by: lightweightmick

Thought this might be of interest... - 16/10/14 09:19 AM

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2014/10...n-ridge-by-bike

and the making of the film here on iPlayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04kntlk/danny-macaskill-riding-the-ridge

(apologies to overseas viewers who may not be able to see this)
Posted by: Geo

Re: Thought this might be of interest... - 16/10/14 11:02 PM

Good one Mick!
That Danny Macaskill is a bit of an unsung super-athlete.
Some of the places he rides I'd be pondering whether to hike or not!
George.

Re: Thought this might be of interest... - 17/10/14 09:52 AM

I'd never heard of him before George, but follow Grough on Facebook. Looks like he does a kind 'free running' on a bike mainly. I reposted the link on Facebook with the quote 'should have moored that boat properly mate' as when he arrives back at the beach the boat has gone!
The documentary shows it in a truer light though with having to do many retakes to get the final effect, but what a great film and I hope they win some kind of award for it.
I certainly have no inclination to go up there - no way!

Re: Thought this might be of interest... - 17/10/14 10:39 AM

Yeah! That was the first thing I noted when he arrived was that he left his dinghy unmoored. (was caught out that way in a remote spot in a kayak on an incoming tide once, and had a bit of a panicky swim to retrieve it before it drifted too far!)
He's put out several vid's over the years, all of them impressive - gathered a few injuries along the way too apparently!
Incredible skill (and nerve) though... I think I'll stick to foot transport! smile
Geo.

Re: Thought this might be of interest... - 17/10/14 09:06 PM

ha ha, I always fancied kayaking, or 'canoe camping' as it was called when I was thinking of giving it a go. I was put off by learning to roll to get out of difficulty. Damn difficult to right a canoe... and that was only in the local swimming baths!
Though having read 'Boogie Up the River'... hmm, I don't know it still sounds just enough adventurous to want to give it a go... but then you have to get a licence and all that so I doubt I'd ever get around to it - still a good read though. Anything that gets you fired up to want to have a go must be, yeah..?

Re: Thought this might be of interest... - 17/10/14 09:42 PM

Mick,
You should give it a whirl. It's a good alternative to hiking if the legs ever play up or need a holiday. Good to combine with hiking too, as you can access some remote spots that way. I've had a sea kayak for over 20yrs now and have had some interesting extended trips - mainly coastal, but one down the 145 mile Wanganui River. The good thing about that kind of travel is that you can carry a decent variety of food and equipment! Your comments on 'rolling' made me chuckle. For all the time I've spent in a kayak I still can't roll. Went to a course once in a swimming baths after I decided I should really know how to do it - everyone ended up rolling successfully except me. Most embarassing! The instructor was peering at me from under the water and couldn't figure it out. Reckoned I was making the right moves, but it just wasn't happening. Maybe I'm an anatomical freak and me body weight is all wrong! I've perfected a method of re-entering if I should can out though.
So do you need a licence to kayak/canoe the Thames? (that was something that grabbed my imagination once when I was over there)
Geo.

Re: Thought this might be of interest... - 19/10/14 09:41 PM

George, found these:

http://www.whitewaterthecanoecentre.co.uk/thames-access-27-w.asp

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in...13093739AAqztaD (see reply from Capt John)

I suppose if it comes down to ever being less able with my legs then maybe... hopefully it would be easier than punting on the Cam, which I am embarrassingly bad at!

Re: Thought this might be of interest... - 19/10/14 10:16 PM

Thanks Mick. Useful link. Dangerous - can feel re-kindling of interest again! wink
Cheers,
George
Posted by: Slogger

Re: Thought this might be of interest... - 20/10/14 03:41 PM

There is a movement afoot trying to get some kind of access freedom similar to our walkers 'right to roam' by the canoe/kayaking fraternity, on our rivers.
There is not a great deal of access as the rivers are owned by the landowners on each bank, each owning up to the mid line. They make money from fishing rights, so don't want canoeists etc on their waters.
Re, Danny Macaskil, Ive been following his various exploits for some time. Those shots of him ascending the Inpin on Skye and standing with his bike attop the summit block, a huge rock fin pinnacle that most climb roped up and abseil off!!!
He is fortunate though as are all mountain bikers in Scotland as they have the same 'right to roam' as walkers, whereas here in England they can't use footpaths and are restricted to roads and bridleways.
Dave.