St. Cuthbert's Way

Posted by: Jean from Boston

St. Cuthbert's Way - 10/03/06 07:11 PM

Hello,all: We are thinking of walking St. Cuthbert's Way this year. There were some postings on it about a year ago, and the walking times given varied from 4 to 7 days. The Sherpa site suggestions for stops is very different from that of the "official" site for the walk. Can anyone tell me what stops they made? And did you do the extension to Craster? Thanks.
Posted by: revmary

Re: St. Cuthbert's Way - 11/03/06 02:37 PM

Hello Jean,
I walked St Cuthberts Way 2 years ago and did it in 4 days: Melrose (YHA)-Ancrum B&B, (1 mile from path)- Kirk Yetholm (YHA) -Wooler (B&B) -Holy Island.
The first day was long.
The last day was a little crazy due to having to beat the tide at midday, meaning rising at 5 AM.
Others we met were doing it in 5 days.
We didn't do the extension.
Great walk, my first LD in the UK.
Have a great time.
Posted by: rogere

Re: St. Cuthbert's Way - 13/03/06 03:34 PM

I walked St Cuthberts way last year. I took half a day to get to Melrose (train to Berwick then bus) so I started at lunchtime. My stops were St Boswells (B&B), Morebattle (Inn), Wooler (B&B). Accommodation is expensive on the island itself (there appears to be a price cartel operating amongst the hoteliers) but it is worth the stay as Lindisfarne is lovely. You can get all the route, transport and accomodation info you need from Berwick TIO. Have a good trip.