Record for Offa's dyke

Posted by: Anonymous

Record for Offa's dyke - 02/10/04 12:55 PM

Does anyone know the record for walking/running offas dyke?

Re: Record for Offa's dyke - 20/10/04 10:03 PM

I've just managed hiking it in seven days north-south (8th-15th Oct)and my knees and feet are still killing me! Was great fun, though. I imagine there are many who have completed it much faster.
Posted by: tony k

Re: Record for Offa's dyke - 24/10/04 11:11 AM

I don't know if there is an offical record but I should imagine top fell runners would be able to cover the distance inside two days.As an example the Pennine Way record stands at 2 days 17 hours for the 270 mile "walk".

Re: Record for Offa's dyke - 24/10/04 10:57 PM

Thanks guys. I was just curious - I'm hoping to do it in a couple of months time. I'm hoping for 5 days max. but that might be wishful thinking on my part.
Posted by: lightweightmick

Re: Record for Offa's dyke - 25/10/04 08:53 PM

As I've discovered, it's difficult to find out who's who in the LDP records dept. I was advised to try 'Martin Stone [email protected] who is the FRA record-keeper for that sort of thing', but he's a busy man, so don't expect a speedy reply (if any) - I didn't, but if there is, I agree with Tony, it will likely be in the region of 48 hours.
I planned the route solo for five days (that elusive 5 days!!!) thus: Chepstow, Pandy, Knighton, Forden/Welshpool area, Llangollen etc..
But 2 months puts you in December and very short days, so if soloing it may well just be wishful thinking! On the other hand, it just might be possible with a theoretical 36m a day - but don't equate those miles with road miles!
With back-up in the tradition of the fell runner it's a different matter of course.
But I for one would certainly be interested in your plans and progress.

Re: Record for Offa's dyke - 26/10/04 11:36 PM

Thanks for all the advice, i'll keep you posted!

Re: Record for Offa's dyke - 27/10/04 08:59 PM

5 days! Wow! My seven days were at what I thought was a fast pace (although I am new to this game). I wish you luck with the weather. It was soggy, when I did it. Had it been much wetter it would have slowed me cosiderably, especially across the Clywdians. My "Trailblazer" guide was good for fast walking when I was on the path but left me lost the few times I got off track. Next time I do a long-distance I'm taking ALL the maps with me. Have fun!
Posted by: scorpioken

Re: Record for Offa's dyke - 06/01/05 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian H:

Many years ago ran the length of OD as part of relay team in about 25 hours.Am thinking of revisiting this project with a new club I belong to.10% the running and 90% the logistics as you can imagine.As a follow up to your question,do any readers know of any recent attempts ?
Posted by: scorpioken

Re: Record for Offa's dyke - 13/01/05 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian H:

Any replies Ian.By coincidence,looking to reproduce this feat with a new running club i am associated with.Many years ago,we completed in about 25 hours which was outside the record.if you have any feedback I would be very interested ken
Posted by: MorrisD

Re: Record for Offa's dyke - 07/02/05 09:30 PM

5 days seems to be a common number. I am planning to run the OD path early next year in 5 days. If anyone has any usefull info, it would be gratefully received.
Posted by: Robert Parry

Re: Record for Offa's dyke - 22/03/05 04:06 PM

In 1984 (ish) Keith Thompson broke the record with a time in the region of 65 hours. I'm also trying to find the current record, for my own attempt.