Abergavenney to Hay on Wye

Posted by: Clarey

Abergavenney to Hay on Wye - 02/06/05 08:33 AM

I'm going to the Green Man Festival near Hay on Wye in August, and the nearest train station is in Hereford, about 40 miles away. So instead, we're considering getting a train to Abergavenney, then joining Offa's dyke at Pandy and walking to Hay.
How long would it take us do walk? Could it be done in a day? I've done lots of hiking during Geology field trips, but I've never just set out to get from A to B in a set time, so I have no concept of how long it takes. Would anyone recommend starting at Chepstow and taking a couple of days to get up there? Just wondering what my options are really, and any info would be great.
Thanks.
Posted by: FootSore

Re: Abergavenney to Hay on Wye - 03/06/05 02:40 PM

Pandy to Hay is a very nice days walk along a ridge. But it is a full days walk. It took us around 7 hours to get from Pandy to Hay.

FootSore
Posted by: HikeMania

Re: Abergavenney to Hay on Wye - 03/06/05 04:07 PM

Yes, I agree with Footsore -- it's a beautiful walk (IMHO some of the prettiest scenery on the southern part of the ODP, if it's a nice day). And, once you climb up from Pandy to the top of the ridge, it's a fairly flat route until you begin your descent into Hay. Try to allow a full day to do it (i.e. start from Pandy in the morning -- There are places to stay in Pandy; one pub/inn is "on" the ODP, assuming they're still offering accommodation.)

If you get a reasonably early start (9am-ish), you'll be able to enjoy the walk along the ridge at a nice pace; one that won't leave you worn out by day's end. Take along a packed lunch (possibly offered by your accom in Pandy) so that you can enjoy it on the ridgeline.

One word of caution -- if it's a bad-weather day (low visibility, etc.), it may be wise to re-think your plan, and walk along the low road between Pandy and Hay. The ridge can be dangerous in poor visibility.

Best wishes!