offas dyke path

Posted by: sturmason

offas dyke path - 29/06/07 12:51 PM

The biggest problem with the OD (apart from the weather), is the lack of B&B accommodation on the route. Apart from small sections (Chepstow to Monmouth for example), there are long swathes where is nothing available (not even YHs), unless you are prepared to divert several miles to find somewhere. This can add several miles (and days) to your agenda. The OD is not a good LDP to do in one go, best done in small sections over a period of time
Posted by: Lounge Lizard

Re: offas dyke path - 29/06/07 08:30 PM

I walked the Offas Dyke Path in April 1991 and spent all but one night in Youth Hostels, but most of these have now closed.
Posted by: Slogger

Re: offas dyke path - 02/07/07 09:02 PM

We walked the ODP a few years ago and had no problems finding B&Bs on the route. Only one was slightly off the route by half a mile.
Dave.
Posted by: Spartacus

Re: offas dyke path - 03/07/07 09:05 AM

Your off your head - there's loads of B&B close to the path. I've just booked them and I only have to divert (2 miles) for one of them.

A LDP broken into multiple trips is no longer a LDP, just another series of day walks. Where's the challenge in that?

Re: offas dyke path - 07/07/07 11:35 PM

And you can tell which side of the border you are when you go into a pub. If all the regulars suddenly stop talking and look at you you're in Wales. If they just carry on talking and drinking you're in England.
Posted by: Slogger

Re: offas dyke path - 09/07/07 05:17 PM

We were sceptical about those sort of rumours before we went, but found nothing like that at all. Everyone either side were really friendly, in fact most of the time we didnt know which whether we were in England or Wales.
Dave.

Re: offas dyke path - 11/07/07 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slogger:
We were sceptical about those sort of rumours before we went, but found nothing like that at all. Everyone either side were really friendly, in fact most of the time we didnt know which whether we were in England or Wales.
Dave.

I am more sceptical about the sheep rumours than the pub rumours.
Posted by: Janice & Rottie

Re: offas dyke path - 12/07/07 03:09 PM

I had no problems when I booked my B&B's,and that was with a dog. However it was a few years ago but no YHs were involved.

Why not consider getting the nearest B&B people to pick you up and return you to specific places en route which cross a road/village etc. This is what I arranged and always do. It costs obviously as I pay them for their petrol & time, but it saves extra walking.