National Trail Guide Books?

Posted by: Old Bill

National Trail Guide Books? - 05/08/10 03:04 PM

Afternoon all,

I'm thinking of ODP sometime in the not too distant future, and have seen the National Trail guide books going for a snip online - 1 or 2 for each. But they're 1995 editions.

Does anyone know if there's been any major changes to the route at all since then? I only ask as my early 90s edition of the Thames path had seen changes - but then again that route was still in a kind of state of flux I suppose. I'm guessing ODP has been pretty fixed for ages.

Cheers,
OB
Posted by: slowcoach

Re: National Trail Guide Books? - 05/08/10 04:07 PM

I can't answer specifically as to the ODP but I would always recommend that walkers use an up to date guidebook. 15 years is a long time in map making and I have no doubt that there will have been some alterations. At the very minimum open access has been here since 2005. This has the potential to be a lifesaver if you have to make a sudden exit off the hills in an emergency.

They have just reprinted Wainwrights C to C book removing a section which was dangerous, and where there was a nasty accident earlier this year. Users of old guides will not be aware of the change. ODP though, being a national trail, should be well signposted

Remember, of course, you can sell the guide on Ebay afterwards!
Posted by: Slogger

Re: National Trail Guide Books? - 05/08/10 07:58 PM

OB,
Your best bet is to contact the 'Pat Officer' of the Offas Dyke Association. E mail him with your question. You can find his link in the contents list on the left of their web site homepage:-
http://www.offasdyke.demon.co.uk/
Dave.
Posted by: Slogger

Re: National Trail Guide Books? - 05/08/10 07:59 PM

For above read 'Path Officer'.

Re: National Trail Guide Books? - 06/08/10 12:44 AM

Cheers Dave, will do.

Already emailed the national trail people, but suspect they might be a bit busier!

Ta.
OB

Re: National Trail Guide Books? - 06/08/10 12:52 AM

PS. Ah - same people it seems! :-)