Guidebooks

Posted by: Anonymous

Guidebooks - 08/03/04 06:05 PM

I'm looking for recommendations about books and maps for the route. Are the maps in The Dales Way by Anthony Burton sufficient, or do I really need somthing like The Dales Way Strip map?

Suggestions welcome.
Posted by: lightweightmick

Re: Guidebooks - 08/03/04 06:25 PM

I think the 1:25 000 maps in AB's Dales Way will be fine (but the book is heavy), particularly at the Western end - but if you want to wander off route, you may be limited.
I might buy a cheap copy then cut 'em out, as when I went to renew my copy at lib. it had been requested... doh.
Posted by: latic

Re: Guidebooks - 12/03/04 07:31 PM

I don't claim to be the best at map reading but I managed OK with the Burton Guide.
Most of the route is following streams/rivers so route finding not difficult.

Re: Guidebooks - 14/03/04 06:35 PM

Burtons book is quite adequate.Anyway as an SAS man I thought you would have used your watch and the sun.

Re: Guidebooks - 15/03/04 01:59 PM

Quote:
Anyway as an SAS man....[/B]

If only.

Thanks for another opinion about the Burton.

Re: Guidebooks - 27/03/04 12:36 PM

Done Dalesway 4 times, always used Stile Publications Dales Way Route Guide ISBN 0 906886 72 4 by Gemmell and Speakman. Very detailed maps incl circular alternatives. Can't go wrong at 4 quid!

Re: Guidebooks - 27/03/04 07:18 PM

ps Last time I did Dalesway, hoped it would be a 'hick on a buge'. I was mistaken. I took my (student, financially challenged and thirsty) daughter. Any monetary contributions from the Child Support Agency would be positively encouraged (some hope)!!!

Re: Guidebooks - 01/04/04 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalesman Wilson's mate:
Done Dalesway 4 times, always used Stile Publications Dales Way Route Guide ISBN 0 906886 72 4 by Gemmell and Speakman. Very detailed maps incl circular alternatives. Can't go wrong at 4 quid!

Did you use any other guidebook as well?

Re: Guidebooks - 01/04/04 07:30 PM

No need SAS, maps are very detailed hand drawn ones, there's text too. I did take OS maps though in case we wandered too far off route!

Re: Guidebooks - 03/04/04 09:14 PM

Hi Dalesman Wilsons mate.
I may see you on the Dalesway sometime - so far i've done it 6 times. In fact i might have already seen you - Do you have a bald head with a bandana on?

Re: Guidebooks - 05/04/04 07:33 PM

Hi Dalesman W, true, though they say grass don't grow on a busy path! If you persist with these petty insults, I'll have to add your lawn to my recommended campsites on the route!!

Re: Guidebooks - 05/04/04 09:26 PM

am i correct in thinking that you live on the wolds way with a sizeable lawn ? or am i thinking of the chap who i met walking at thrappers gill in arkengarthdale ?

Re: Guidebooks - 06/04/04 02:29 PM

There'll be no camping on my lawn and I don't suppose Auntie Tracy would be too pleased either!! If you're looking for another walk to do I would suggest the 'Woldsway'. I've been walking it in stages with Dalesman Wilson's mate and will finish at Easter. It's brilliant.

Re: Guidebooks - 06/04/04 07:42 PM

Did someone mention camping - I've got a nice lawn and can serve full English on the patio - for a small fee.