wild camping

Posted by: shinsplints

wild camping - 14/08/06 09:07 PM

Could anybody tell me wether there is opportunities to wild camp along the dales way, THANKS
Posted by: Lounge Lizard

Re: wild camping - 14/08/06 10:02 PM

shin. Can you explain "wild camp" as opposed to normal camping ? Do you do it without a tent perhaps ?

Re: wild camping - 15/08/06 07:10 AM

hi lounge lizard
wild camping is pitching a tent on route. outside of campsites or any amenities.
It allows you to wake up to some incredible views and is free.
shinsplints
Posted by: tonyk

Re: wild camping - 15/08/06 02:41 PM

None at all as the Dales Way is mainly on farmland.You might get away with it if you use a bivvi bag.

Re: wild camping - 15/08/06 07:56 PM

Thanks tony, was hoping you might reply.
could you tell me wether theres any official campsites on route, Also reading one of your earlier posts about bag weights, have also managed to get the weight down to 10 kilos.
With no sacrifice to comfort. After carrying
20k for years.
Posted by: Journeyman

Re: wild camping - 15/08/06 08:33 PM

Hello Shinsplints

There are a number of official sites along the Dales Way including Howgill, Appletreewick, Kettlewell, Cowgill, Dent, Lowgill & Skelsmergh. Full details of these can be found in the Dales Way 2006 Handbook available through the Dalesway Association - www.dalesway.org.uk
I think the handbook costs about 1.50p.

Re: wild camping - 17/08/06 06:57 AM

thanks for the info everyone.
shinsplints
Posted by: tonyk

Re: wild camping - 17/08/06 01:49 PM

SS, there is also a campsite at Burnside Farm(fortified farm as you go into Burnside).

Glad you have got your pack weight down.It makes walking so much easier and enjoyable.
Posted by: ernest smith

Re: wild camping - 17/08/06 08:53 PM

Hi Shinsplints
Look out for the sheepdogs at burnside farm, i don't suppose it will be the same one we saw there, but i wonder if they are up to their old tricks, we got there about dinner time and the farmer had gone in for his dinner and the sheep dog was outside practising it,s skill on the old hens. it just quitely wandered back and forth behind them till they finished up in the kitchen with the farmer, i did enjoy watching it, and when i saw Burn side farm it brought it all back, it must be all of 25 years ago maybe more.thanks for the memory. we wild camped all the way. nearly got carried down the warfe at one site, had gone for water out of the river when a flood tide came down just as i had put our collapsible bucket in and the force dragged me off my feet but as luck would have it the stone i landed on had a depression and i was able to anchor my behind on it,
regards
ern

[This message has been edited by Ernest Smith (edited 17 August 2006).]

Re: wild camping - 18/08/06 07:08 AM

Hello Ernest.
Flood tides ? Was this a one off Ernest.
Or should i take inflatable arm bands.
shinsplints.
Posted by: ernest smith

Re: wild camping - 18/08/06 10:58 AM

Hi shinsplints ,
no the flood tide was cause by awfull storm on the hills and it caused the flood tide, a rush of water about a foot above normal flow .but where we were it stayed below the river bank, but caused severe fooding in Skipton and did a lot of damage .
there has been a lot of storms this last decade where there has been a lot of flooding. we are in the lower Yorkshire Derwent valley and have been cut of from the next village a time or two when the river Derwent overflows it's banks. i don,t think you will want arm bands and i hope you have good weather all the best and good walking
regards
ern