Whey hey it works

Posted by: Redlesweb

Whey hey it works - 09/11/04 05:21 PM

Great kids - it's working without having to log-in.

So, erm, Pennine Way. Not done it. Would love to. One of my best friends just completed and was almost blown into a Peat Bog. Sounds like fabulous fun.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Whey hey it works - 09/11/04 09:50 PM

Its a great walk and one I have done many times.Not as bad as it was prior to 1990 due to the stone paths that have been laid but its still a hard slog and the weather can be grim.

Not to be missed is a night in Gregs Hut.
Posted by: Arial

Re: Whey hey it works - 10/11/04 05:54 AM

Who's Greg?

BTW, Apparently New Barn and Globe Farm are no longer options. Is there anyplace else to stay near or at in Standedge?
Posted by: Romur

Re: Whey hey it works - 10/11/04 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arial:
Who's Greg?

BTW, Apparently New Barn and Globe Farm are no longer options. Is there anyplace else to stay near or at in Standedge?

There is a B&B about a mile downhill from Globe farm towards Diggle. I cant recall its name. I see there is a B&B listed at Harrap Green Farm, Diggle but I dont know if this is the same.

Gregs Hut is a grotty, damp and unkept bothy on the downside of Cross Fell coming from Dufton. You are better of sleeping in a tent.

The great thing about the Pennine way is that it is virtually all offroad with also few forest tracks.

Re: Whey hey it works - 10/11/04 01:17 PM

Standedge can be a problem.Its possible to find B&b in Marston or Diggle.The alternative is to push on for a few miles and camp in an old quarry near the Whitehouse Inn.Its an easy walk from Standedge and takes about two and a half hours.

I believe Greg was killed in a climbing accident in the late sixties and the hut is a memorial to him.Damp it may be but you will be glad of it if you get the usual high winds and rain on Cross Fell.
Posted by: Arial

Re: Whey hey it works - 10/11/04 08:23 PM

Good to Know!

I've thought about camping 1/2 the time, but am attempting to get a friend to walk with me. She is afraid the additional weight associated with camping out will be too much for a sometimes irritale hip, so...

Is it possible to Hostel-it all the way up the PW? Feels like one's cheating, but it would be nice to have the company.

Re: Whey hey it works - 10/11/04 11:01 PM

From what I can remember there are hostels at the following locations,most are close to the the route.

Edale,Crowden,Mankinholes,Earby,Malham,Hawes,Baldersdale,Middleton,Langdon Beck,Dufton,Alston,Greenhead,Once Brewed,Bellingham,Bryness and Kirk Yetholm.
Posted by: Romur

Re: Whey hey it works - 12/11/04 11:07 PM

There is also a hostel at Haworth, 1-2 mile offroute. This is Bronte Country if that is of interest. Dufton was/is closed for renovations. Long distances between hostels are: Crowden to Mankinholes about 23 miles and Byrness to Kirk Yetholm, 25 miles and more if you take in the Cheviot. You will probably want to stay a night in Horton in Ribblesdale, There is no hostel there.