scary bits and guidebook

Posted by: tworivers

scary bits and guidebook - 20/09/10 09:12 PM

I've just posted a query about this on the C2C forum, thought I'd best post it here too.
Having just completed my first C2C my thoughts now turn to the PW, hopefully next June. I'm not terribly good on edge of cliff type stuff, also big drops. What do I have to look forward to along these lines ? Also, any scrambling involved ?
Can anyone suggest the best guidebook ?
Many thanks
Posted by: slowcoach

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 20/09/10 10:25 PM

The first one that will spring to everyone's mind is the crossing of the M62. I would imagine that to anyone with any form of aversion to heights this is a definite no no. The road is crossedat some height by a narrowish walkway with open railing to each side. It is unnerving to most people. It can, however, be avoided by walking under the motorway on the A672 then turning west and picking your way across the open ground to meet the concessionary path which rejoins the Pennine Way.

Secondly is the ascent of Penyghent. This is not really too bad but may be a little unnerving. There is an alternative path via Churn Milk Hole and Dub Cote.

Ditto with Malham Cove. If the ascent looks a tad difficult there is an alternative path that avoids the open aspect

I think that all the other paths are quite benign and you can quite simply avoid looking over the edge at places such as High Cup and Cross Fell.

Apart from these .... if you did the C to C ok you shouldn't have any greater difficulties.

I didn't use a commercial guide (as when I started it there weren't any!)I just used OS maps.
Posted by: Geo

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 21/09/10 05:50 AM

Hi TwoRivers,
I used 'The Pennine Way from Edale to Kirk Yetholm' by Martin Collins put out by Cicerone press. 2003 2nd edition. I found it to be fine and it contained the strip map of the relevant OS map for each section.
I also liked the fact that the book was a useful size (120mm x 175mm x 10mm) as well as the cover being waterproof.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 21/09/10 06:59 AM

One minor blob in my earlier post .... the bridge over the M62 has solid sides but the road beneath is visible over the top throughout.
Posted by: Slogger

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 21/09/10 12:48 PM

I don't think you will have any difficulties with the Pennine Way. The C2C has more scary bits, if you can them that, than the PW.
Dave.
Posted by: tonyk

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 21/09/10 01:39 PM

Cauldron Snout can be a bit scary,especially if the rocks are wet.I think it might be possible to avoid it by taking the road from Langdon Beck to Cow Green.
Posted by: tomread

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 21/09/10 02:04 PM

I am terrible with heights. But I had no difficulty at any point on the Pennine Way. I had nervous anticipation due to what I had heard about the M62 bridge, ascent of Pen-y-ghent etc - but in reality, nothing was problematic. Just look ahead rather than down on the M62 bridge, and the rest is easy.

Tom

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 21/09/10 08:23 PM

Many thanks people, it doesn't sound so bad. M62 bridge will be interesting, I may crawl over that ! Ditto the wet rocks at Cauldron Snout.
Would 17 days be a reasonable timescale ? I'm not in Slogger's league I'm afraid !
Posted by: tonyk

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 21/09/10 10:50 PM

Seventeen days would be a reasonable timscale.

When you have finished with the PW you can get your teeth into this "walk"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72rN5zO2T7A

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 22/09/10 06:55 AM

17 days is quite a reasonable target.

Just looked through my bookcase. My first guidebook to the Pennine Way was by Alan Binns ..... I would be surprised if anyone else had heard of it. Effectively it says "Start at Edale and follow the non existent path northwards to Kirk Yetholme, then stop.

A tad short on intermediate details.
Posted by: tomread

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 22/09/10 11:12 AM

Pictures of all the not-so-scary scary bits, plus detailed journal of the route here FYI:

http://tomread.co.uk

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 22/09/10 08:27 PM

Tom
Spotted from the link that you are a teacher. No wonder you picked the Kearton Hotel in Thwaite for your Mornington Crescent turn.

During school hols it is packed with teachers talking about school. During school term time it is packed with retired .....

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 22/09/10 09:00 PM

Hmm, think I'll pass on that walk thanks tonyk !!

I love the sound of that guidebook Slowcoach. As you say, a bit more detail might be useful..

Thanks for the pic and journal Tom. It looks ok. Just nine months now to get my head around it all ! Can't wait.
Posted by: Alan F

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 29/09/10 10:33 AM

I still have a copy of Alan Binns PW Guidebook, from my 1978 PW walk! It was written early 1970's,when most signposting was absent, and all the high level,flat moorland sections (about 60 miles)were boggy and pathless,as everyone took alternative routes to avoid the worst of the knee deep peat bogs.The book concentrated on compass bearings,and landmarks to head for.Nowadays most of these sections are all flagstoned over,speeding up the walk, but eliminating some of the fun(assuming it is someone else going in knee deep!).
Only points on the PW that you may need your hands (not really a scramble) are north up PenyGent and Cauldron Snout,although neither are really exposed.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 01/10/10 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Alan F
I still have a copy of Alan Binns PW Guidebook, from my 1978 PW walk! It was written early 1970's,when most signposting was absent, and all the high level,flat moorland sections (about 60 miles)were boggy and pathless,as everyone took alternative routes to avoid the worst of the knee deep peat bogs.The book concentrated on compass bearings,and landmarks to head for.Nowadays most of these sections are all flagstoned over,speeding up the walk, but eliminating some of the fun(assuming it is someone else going in knee deep!).
Only points on the PW that you may need your hands (not really a scramble) are north up PenyGent and Cauldron Snout,although neither are really exposed.

I agree about the book. It was a book of its time and the route, in a lot of cases, was still in the developmental stages. I occasionally still pull it out and read it from the nostalgic point of view. How many teachers today would do what he did I wonder. I have taken numerous groups, of all ages, on day activities, but the joy is to hand them back at the end .... not to camp with them for days on end .... I am too much of a loner for this. I genuinely admire his efforts.
Posted by: tim smith

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 01/10/10 04:47 PM

a few times when I have been sweeper up on our walks,
maybe with yougsters and some with learning difficulties.
the relief when you get them safely home.
One time I had been concentrating that hard, I nearly fainted with relief when we got them all to base.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 01/10/10 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: tim smith

a few times when I have been sweeper up on our walks,
maybe with yougsters and some with learning difficulties.
the relief when you get them safely home.
One time I had been concentrating that hard, I nearly fainted with relief when we got them all to base.

Ive felt like with a group of adult Fell runners when leading them up Scafell Pike at night during a national 3 peaks attempt. If I'd have got them lost and lost time I'd never have lived it down.
Dave.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 14/10/10 10:30 PM

Correction to my correction ...... having walked across the M62 on the PW bridge yesterday ..... it is in fact open metal railings to both sides.
Posted by: midgetarget

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 27/12/10 04:46 PM

Don't know about the guidebook but the scariest bit for me was climbing up to the very top of Pen-y-Ghent. There's a bit of rock climbing involved and carrying a 35lb rucksack made it more difficult.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 27/12/10 09:57 PM

At least the views over the lower lying land are behind you on the climb if walking north!

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 28/12/10 09:48 AM

the scareist bit for me was climbing the scree at the side of Cordale Scar.
The weight of the bag held me back,I just could not climb the waterfall, so had gone up the scree at the left side.
I got a good way up and was begining to panic.
so I sat down had a piece of mint cake to steady myself, and then on my way.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 28/12/10 04:14 PM

I didn't think Gordale Scar was actually on the Way ?
Also, how much actual rock climbing is involved in getting to the top of Pen-y-Ghent ?

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 28/12/10 07:12 PM

Gordale Scar
Wainwright's recommended detoure.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 28/12/10 07:51 PM

Gordale Scar is a short detour off the Pennine Way and provides an exciting alternative for the second or subsequent journey. For a first time traveller I would enjoy the experience of Malham Cove.

I wouldn't worry too much about ascending Penyghent from the south. Yes there are some rocks which require negotiating,but, it is quite possible to negotiate an easier way up rather than the direct route. The view, after all, is behind you, so it shouldn't be a real problem unless the walker has particularly severe vertigo.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 29/12/10 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: tworivers
I didn't think Gordale Scar was actually on the Way ?
Also, how much actual rock climbing is involved in getting to the top of Pen-y-Ghent ?

It is just a series of rock steps that requires some hands on for balance. The first set are Limestone and quite well polished but with enough choice to get around the worse ones.
The second set are Sandstone or Gritstone which offer improved grip, these are bigger steps, steeper and require a bit of a haul up to gain the plateau.
I wouldn't worry about it, this route is the same as the Pen Y Ghent Fell race, which is an annual run.
Dave.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 30/12/10 06:54 PM

Thanks people.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 27/02/11 07:28 PM

Cauldron Snout. How close do you get to the water when climbing up ?

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 27/02/11 08:19 PM

There shouldn't be a problem if you are use common sense. The waterfall cascades downwards across quite a spectacular series of rocks. Fortunately, these are large flat rocks (as opposed to scree type rocks) with sizeable flat surfaces that are easy to make your way upwards on and to to walk across. You can quite easily negotiate a way upwards that doesn't make you feel that you are in any form of danger. You cross the river above the waterfall on the road access to Birkdale Farm.

Perhaps more of a problem to those with vertigo (though as I don't suffer from it it is hard for me to comment effectively) could be a few very short sections of the path after you pass High Cup and start to head towards Dufton. Here, you are on the side of a hill with quite a steep fall away to your left. The answer here is to walk just off the path at the side opposite the drop. Nothing to get wound up about I wouldn't think.

If you can manage the M62 bridge, the rest is a doddle!!!

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 01/03/11 06:25 PM

Don't know about that! To negotiate the footbridge at Byrness required scuba diving gear when I went that way, hence the detour via Tarmac.
Dave.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 01/03/11 08:34 PM

Not those kids on the caravan site playing up again?

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 02/03/11 12:43 PM

The little valley was flooded and the bridge submerged.
Dave.
Posted by: joyce taylor

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 02/03/11 09:52 PM

The rivers rises very very fast when we have rain or snow melt as we are surrounded by hills but it abates very fast as well.It can be massive seething and chocolate coloured one day and completely back to a peaceful serene little river a couple of days later. If it is to high to cross go back a few hundred yards up to the farm with the donkey outside and go futher along the top path about half a mile further you will come to another path down to another bridge which is higher above the water this bridge brings you directly into Byrness. (in fact this is a more scenic route into Byrness Village)
Posted by: Les + Heidi

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 04/03/11 08:02 AM

I remember that river and bridge very well, its was low and very serence when I came that way last year, amazing to imagine that bridge under water ! Is the path alongside the campsite under water tooo on these occasions ?
Les

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 04/03/11 08:14 PM

yes

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 14/03/11 07:55 PM

Joyce,
can anyone pop in to buy from your shop or is it only available to guests?
Dave.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 15/03/11 04:42 PM

If I am here everyone is welcome to buy meals,beers or food items from the shop.I am here from 4pm almost every day of the year. See you when you are passing.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 15/03/11 05:53 PM

Wish I had known that when I passed through Byrness. Would have saved a lot of doubling back!

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 15/03/11 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: joyce taylor
If I am here everyone is welcome to buy meals,beers or food items from the shop.I am here from 4pm almost every day of the year. See you when you are passing.

Cheers Joyce that's really handy to know. When I do my N - E trip that will save having to carry two days supplies. Might even stay over.
Dave.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 31/03/11 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
One minor blob in my earlier post .... the bridge over the M62 has solid sides but the road beneath is visible over the top throughout.

No you right in your first post. Open sides, or it was a couple of years ago during my PW.
https://picasaweb.google.com/davlee62/PennineWay2008Part1?locked=true#5590333775416017810
Dave.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 01/04/11 05:53 PM

Slogger/Dave

Your link doesn't work ! Well, it does, but I don't have access to look at anything

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 01/04/11 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: tworivers
Slogger/Dave

Your link doesn't work ! Well, it does, but I don't have access to look at anything

Sorry my mistake, try this.
https://picasaweb.google.com/davlee62/PennineWay2008Part1?locked=true#5590333775416017810
Dave.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 01/04/11 08:52 PM

And another.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EAuvMifwY8z11_cJUZnMxqVjmHIilHorpfkOwqCwpgw?feat=directlink
Dave.

Re: scary bits and guidebook - 01/04/11 08:54 PM

Success!
Dave.