Longest taken to complete PW

Posted by: Wellard

Longest taken to complete PW - 08/01/11 10:18 AM

Hi everyone. I'm a first timer on this forum so here goes..

I started the PW in 1995 at Edale and after two visits to the way got as far as Hawes. Good intentions on getting the way finished were scuppered when marriage and kids came along. Now the rugrats are much older and need less attention I can now get back to finishing it.

I read somewhere that it was reported that it once took a walker 12 or 13 years to complete it. Anyone else taken an epic time to finish?
Posted by: Harland

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 08/01/11 11:14 AM

You have got lots of time to complete it as previous posts show that it took them 34 years and another 46 years 3 months (probably his age!).
Posted by: slowcoach

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 08/01/11 01:21 PM

I started it in February 1963 completing it last May, 46 years and 3 months after leaving Edale. I wish it were my age!!!!

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 08/01/11 01:26 PM

Sorry ... 1964 (mistyped)
Posted by: Gregg

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 09/01/11 01:33 AM

Wow, Slowcoach, good one for completing it. Wonder if I ever will.

1964 was my first visit across the pond. I bought a bicycle in Southhampton and toured England and Europe. One of my favorite overnighters was at the Winchester youth hostel converted from an old mill. The millstone was still in place and we swam in the placid creek underneath the hostel. Good memories!
Posted by: Slogger

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 09/01/11 09:17 PM

Dont know if this counts but one of my first proper in walks was in 1958, Edale to Snake Pass along the Pennine Way route before it even became official. No flags in those days just lots of bogg trotting and heather hopping following the posts from Mill Hill.
In between then and Sept 2008 I did lots of parts of it many times over, then finally did my 9/10 days on the whole route. That makes a total of 50 years.
However if you are meaning setting off from Edale with an intention of doing the whole route, and for some reason not making it and finally coming back some years later to complete it, then I dont count as I only tried to complete the route the once.
Dave.

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 09/01/11 09:48 PM

Can I claim a record in "thinking about/planning it"? I decided that I would walk the Pennine Way after it "opened" in 1965 but because of work/family I didn't get round to do it until after I retired in 2005!
Posted by: Wellard

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 10/01/11 02:18 PM

I feel so much better now!

Whilst on the way someone at one of the YHA's told me that doing the way in bits doesn't count and should be done in one go. But then he had the luxury of being retired and being able to afford the time and money to do that. Yeah whatever!

It may end up taking weekends over a few more years but i'll get there in the end which will please AW.

The last section to Kirk Yethold looks epic. The Royal Marines' final commando test is a 30 miler. Do they hand out honorary green berets at the Border Hotel wink?

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 10/01/11 03:00 PM

No only a free half pint if you ask for it! AWs money ran out but the brewers (publican?) now pay, well they did when I finished. Don't forget to ask for the book to sign and add your comments about your experiences.

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 12/01/11 06:43 AM

If you accept the fact that a walk has to be completed in a single journey, I wonder how many will then be able to claim a successful traverse of the South West Coast path?

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 12/01/11 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
If you accept the fact that a walk has to be completed in a single journey, I wonder how many will then be able to claim a successful traverse of the South West Coast path?

ME, although not in one day!
Posted by: Les + Heidi

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 12/01/11 10:06 AM

Thats an emotive subject; friends of mine that have been walking LDPs for many years adopt this 'single journey' only stance. Also that backpacking is the only real way. I tend to disagree, its horses for courses as far as Im concerned, but having said that Im going back in 2012 to try the PW again after completing it in two bites last year (got sick 60 miles from end an ha to come home for a few weeks before returning). However people do it Im sure we all agree its an awesome walk.
Posted by: Slogger

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 12/01/11 05:12 PM

Got to agree with that. During my 5 day C2C last September everyone I met doing the route, all seemed to be getting the same out of it, no matter how long they were taking or method of doing it. They were ALL enjoying the experience.
Dave.

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 13/01/11 06:44 AM

AS one of the people who worked on formuating the initial route of the Wolds Way, the issue of timing was never a consideration. Access to the countryside was far less available in those distant times and the idea was to promote healthy outdoor recreation. Any artificial limitations on National Trails have been promoted totally unofficial by individuals who have no official support. Go out and enjoy them as you wish. They are there to do over as long or as short a period as you will enjoy.

This does not apply, of course, on privately created walks or challenge walks such as the Lyke Wake.
Posted by: joyce taylor

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 13/01/11 04:51 PM

It s your walk do it your way, the only thing that matters is keeping safe and enjoying it whichever method you use.
Posted by: walkanddrink

Re: Longest taken to complete PW - 13/01/11 06:29 PM

Joyce, I agree with you, part of teh fun is looking for alternative routes and trying them out. The main thing, as you state is to enjoy it.

Mick