The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1052 - 05/08/06 08:00 AM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Black Sailor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wet coast wanderer:
I'm glad to hear that if we do have to change trains in Bolton six minutes should be ample time.

Oh no it won't! UK trains simply aren't that good at running on time.

#1053 - 11/08/06 10:21 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Black Sailor. At least you are a bit more positive than norman walker who we might expect to suggest that if the plane crashed over the Atlantic then there wouldn't be any worry about a train being late ! ! !

#1054 - 11/08/06 11:45 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Gordita Offline

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA USA
It looks like you have to use two or three train companies to get from Manchester to St. Bees and which companies may change depending on if you make or miss a connection. Does that mean it is not practical to buy all your tickets at Picadilly?
Thanks.

#1055 - 12/08/06 08:27 AM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Black Sailor Offline

No Gordita - although there are many train companies, the ticketing is centralised, and apart from special deals, which we need not worry about here, tickets are valid with all train companies. So you buy a through ticket from where you start your journey to where it ends, irrespective of how many changes there may be.

So the normal procedure when travelling from Manchester Airport to St Bees would be to buy a ticket for he entire journey at Manchester Airport.

#1056 - 13/08/06 06:54 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
peregrina Offline

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA 98250
When we planned this trip in 2001 (and had to cancel due to the hoof and mouth outbreak) we were told on the message board that it was cheaper for four people to take a cab from Manchester to St. Bees than to take the train. Anybody that can confirm or refute that rumor?
Thanks.

#1057 - 14/08/06 03:01 AM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
rory Offline

Loc: Arlington, Virginia, USA
It sometimes seems that the major goal of the trip for American walkers is to get from Manchester to St Bees for the minimum price possible.

#1058 - 14/08/06 07:56 AM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Lounge Lizard Offline

rory, yes, I've thought the same, and am firmly of the opinion that travelling by train is by far the best way of seeing the countryside as well as being more relaxing and safer than travelling by road, so why should it matter if it costs a bit more than a shared taxi especially as the difference in cost will be insignificant when added to the air fare, accomodation etc. - and this comment is despite me earning my living by driving taxis - and if anyone argues that an ocean liner is a better way of crossing the Atlantic than a jet plane, yes it is, but the time factor might be significant for some and the difference in cost much greater.

#1059 - 14/08/06 05:21 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Gordita Offline

After being up for 24 hours straight and preparing to take a 190 mile walk the goal is to get to a bed and take a nap as quickly as possible if the cost isn't prohibitive. Traveling when you are too tired to see straight is rarely a great experience. As for speed we are taking 20 days to do this walk. By our standards Wainwright as a speed demon. This message board is a lot crabbier than I remember it being a few years ago.

#1060 - 18/08/06 07:10 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Gordita Offline

Time to apologize for my own crabby response. I really didn't mean to shut down the discussion. I guess getting razzed is just part of the culture of this message board. I'll try to develop a thicker skin. Thick skinned feet will probably help me on the walk as well.

#1061 - 18/08/06 07:45 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Lounge Lizard Offline

Gordita. No apology needed. Everyone has their own preferences for travelling and my comments were based on my enjoyable, relaxing train journeys to St Bees, very different from the one time I went by road, the bendy, undulating A roads west of the M6 seeming never ending.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917