The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1062 - 19/08/06 05:52 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
peregrina Offline

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA 98250
Lounge Lizard,
The best traveling on wheels I have ever done has been with my nose pressed to the windows of a bus or train. Peru and Ecuador my favorites. But when the four of us arrive in Manchester we will have been up 24 hours, exhausted and ready to begin a 190 mile walk. It will be Sunday and no train will leave Manchester for hours. Just doesn't seem like the day for a wonderful train adventure. I hope to do that at the end of the walk. I'm still perplexed as to how many places on this site I have tried to get info of how to get to Manchester on a Sunday without taking an additional 12 hours. Surely someone out there has some info. But somehow the way I ask the question seems to insult rather than invite help. I'll look for you on the train from Scarborough. And I will enjoy every minute of the ride, I promise you that.
Peregrina aka Gordita

#1063 - 19/08/06 07:06 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
peregrina. Sunday mornings have always been the worst time of the week for travelling by train in Britain with many routes closed. Evidently Manchester Airport to St Bees is partually bad on forthcoming Sundays and I would suggest that the journey can't be made by train. Putting the details into the National Rail web-site it suggests that you can do the journey in 11 hours 22 minutes by leaving Manchester Airport at 19.45, changing at Bolton, changing again at Barrow ( arriving 22.31, departing 05.57 ) and arriving in St Bees at 07.07 - a journey of little use to you as you wouldn't want to wait about in Manchester until the evening and spend half the night on Barrow-in-Furness station. I would be delighted if somebody could prove me wrong and find suitable trains for you, but I doubt they will.

#1064 - 19/08/06 07:19 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Lounge Lizard Offline

peregrina.
There is though a decent Sunday morning service from Manchester Airport to Penrith, regular trains, changing once or twice, journey times of two to three hours, e.g. Man Apt depart 09.15, Bolton arrive 09.45, depart 09.52, Penrith arrive 11.20. Penrith is about 49 miles from St Bees, so a taxi would cost about 70.
Alternately a taxi for the whole 137 or so miles from the Airport to St Bees would probably be about 200.

#1065 - 20/08/06 04:32 AM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
peregrina Offline

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA 98250
Thanks Lounge Lizard,
That is very helpful information.
If you every decide to visit my small island an hour and a half off the west coast of the U.S. I will do my best to help you find a way to get here.
Peregrina

#1066 - 20/08/06 12:15 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Howie Offline

Loc: Cumbria
An alternative would be to get off at Carlisle instead of Penrith and catch a train from Carlisle to Whitehaven which I think there are three of a Sunday, then get a taxi from Whitehaven to St Bees which should cost about 6 or 7, there are no passenger trains that go to St Bees of a Sunday. You would have to check the train times from Carlisle to Whitehaven to see if they would be suitable for you.

#1067 - 20/08/06 06:30 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Lounge Lizard Offline

Howie,
Yes, that's another possibility.
Changing once to Carlisle there's Manchester Airport depart 09.15, Bolton arrive 09.45 depart 09.52, Carlisle arrive 11.39. There are later departures from Manchester Airport but these probably involve changing twice. The first Sunday train from Carlisle for Whitehaven leaves at 14.45 arriving at 16.08. There is no taxi rank at Whitehaven but taxis can be booked on ;
Whiteline 01946 66111,
RTS 01946 694455,
KLM 01946 66007.

#1068 - 20/08/06 08:53 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Howie Offline

Loc: Cumbria
Lounge Lizard
There are usually taxis waiting outside Whitehaven train station for each arriving train, if not there are usually taxis waiting outside the Bus station which is about 200 yards from the train station.

#1069 - 20/08/06 09:59 PM Re: Train changes on the journey from Manchester to St. Bees
Lounge Lizard Offline

Howie. Yes, the fact that there isn't an offical taxi rank, which is what the National Rail web site says, doesn't mean that the local taxi firms don't have the sense to meet incoming trains at Whitehaven. There may well have been taxis waiting when I last arrived there but I didn't notice them, my thoughts being, firstly, that I had travelled halfway across the country through beautiful scenary only to be confronted on leaving the train by a massive carbuncle of a Tescos the same as they now build everywhere and, secondly, that it's an October lunchtime, persisting it down with rain and I've got quite a few miles to walk to Black Sail, hopefully before it gets too dark.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917