The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131228 - 27/05/13 11:25 AM Re: PW Current Conditions? [Re: Alan F]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Alan,
Forgot to add that during the Spine, we did off course get a meal at every CP and a drop bag was carried forward, so we didn't carry everything that we needed for the week. Although the compulsary kit we had to carry came in at around 9 - 10 Kg.
The Spine and Spine Challenger races for 2014 have been full for several weeks now, although you can be placed on a waiting list in case of withdrawals.
Dave.

#405641 - 17/06/13 09:45 PM Re: PW Current Conditions? [Re: Slogger]
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
Well,I managed to fail again on trying for a sub-7 day PW.This time my feet gave in- feet balls red raw and partially lacerated,and heels not much better.
I was still on schedule to Tan Hill Inn,but just walked dead slow to Hawes not Horton the next day.
Sunday 9th Yetholm-Blakehopeburnhaugh 29 miles
Monday 10th Blakehope-Greenhead 37 miles
Tuesday 11th Greenhead-Dufton 38 miles
Wednesday 12th Dufton-Tan Hill 39 miles
Thursday 13th Tan Hill-Hawes 18 miles
This was uncharted territory for me,having never done 4 x 36 milers back to back.Looking at the Compeed technical info in Hawes chemists,I guess I need to moisturise morning,noon and night when in transit.

#405642 - 17/06/13 10:07 PM Re: PW Current Conditions? [Re: Alan F]
Alan F Offline

Loc: Reading
Seem to be having trouble trying to make a long text post.
Path conditions were excellent last week,and I had dry feet every day.However,the gales,driving rain and high level hailstorms last Friday and Saturday may have caused some deterioration.Had I still been walking, they may well have finished me off!Thursday afternoon I got blown over twice on Gt Shunner Fell.
There is still some snow in the Cheviots gullies.
Sorry,I did'nt stay with you,Joyce,only left Yetholm at 2.20pm,so it was far too late at 10.30pm into Byrness.
Dufton pub does'nt do food on Tuesdays (maybe other nights as well),so had to get a YHA breakfast,which gave a very late 8.30am start,and a 10.50pm finish into Tan Hill.As it was misty and raining,it was up the Old Coal Road,rather than Sleightholme Moor, which really finished my feet off!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917