The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1097 - 28/06/07 02:34 PM White Swan - Danby Wiske
pplace Offline

We don't mind criticism - Honest!
BUT I do want to put the criticism from SmileyGirl and one of the replies to that into context.
First of all an apology to SmileyGirl. I believe that in fact, her complaint was fully justified. My husband and I were away during her stay. There were reasons which I won't go into (otherwise they end up sounding like excuses!), so I can only apologise. I think it important to mention that SmileyGirl did write to us about this incident. This was our first and only official complaint in 4 years so we rang her immediately in response to apologise and offer recompense.

NOW-as for the link comment by Sid about the electricity cut - That was just plain mean!! Almost the whole village of Danby Wiske was without electicity for 48 hours. Blame NEDL! An electicity cut doesn't make us shambolic-surely to goodness! As for Sid saying he "HAD to have Fish and Chips" - Well!!!
We offered various solutions including ferrying people into town to eat - but the Fish and Chips idea actually got a resounding cheer at the time! The pub was running as normal in the evening by candlelight and as I remember it a good night was had by all. (Bit like being in the War - not that I remember!)
Even without electricity in the morning - we provided a full breakfast selection of Cold Meats and Cheeses; Crusty Bread; Fruit; Croissants; Jams and Marmalades and Fruit Juices. This was refused in exchange for £2.50 refund (now thats a Joke!)
As for me being a "character", well I probably am - HOWEVER, I didn't turn custom away all day - I was sending them to Ashfield House Cafe next door. This is an agreement the pub had with Ashfield House last year whilst I was short-staffed. There isn't enough trade for 2 lunchtime venues, and I wouldn't have dreamt of stealing my neighbours trade when she was helping me out. And I've certainly never complained about "lack of trade" Each year here has been busier than the last.
I have had 4 great years as Landlady here. The Coast to Coast has looked after me and I have in return looked after literally thousands of Coast to Coasters. I've met many wonderful people from all over the world (and one or two that were horrid-but thats life!)
By the way - My thanks to Lounge Lizard, Stottie, tmckenzie, lightweightmick and Nimrod for coming to our defense!
Vexmore - our barmaid has worked for us for 4 years and she is the most honest and capable person I know. Genuine mistakes do happen, you know.
Keep on trekking - and do come and meet us - I know you'll pleasantly suprised!

#1098 - 28/06/07 03:53 PM Re: White Swan - Danby Wiske
Sam Peps Offline

A quality rebuttal - said with dignity and well said.

#1099 - 28/06/07 05:59 PM Re: White Swan - Danby Wiske
samwatts Offline

Loc: San Francisco CA
Agreed!
We will certainly stop by on our way!

We are staying (and eating) next door at Ashfield House, but are known to like a bit of liquid refreshment after a long days
walk!

See you 20th July!

Sam

#1100 - 28/06/07 06:41 PM Re: White Swan - Danby Wiske
hsmale Offline

Loc: Escanaba, Mich, USA
Our recent visit to this establishment was great. Fine meal, very friendly reception, and we enjoyed the locals. Only disappointment was failing to meet Danby "Chainsaw" Martin, a local legend in the making.

#1101 - 28/06/07 07:24 PM Re: White Swan - Danby Wiske
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Yes! Real discussion, rebuttal etc! Grand stuff!
Here's what I wrote about my day between Richmond and Osmotherley. It's a poem, in case you wondered!!

And sadly thereís no early treat.
Switch off the brain, switch on the feet,
Through fields and lanes and gates and stiles
Youíve twenty-five mind-numbing miles,
Before you reach Osmotherley-
A word of warning brotherly:
Walk brisk, avoiding any risk
Of missing lunch at Danby Wiske,
Stride out until you light upon
Life-saving food at yon White Swan.
Start again with vim and vigour.
Twelve more miles? Thatís just a figure!

If anyone's still walking, as opposed to floating, jolly good luck!!

#1102 - 28/06/07 09:58 PM Re: White Swan - Danby Wiske
pplace Offline

Oh Stottie, your quite the Bard! I have this poem on my wall now. Do you expect Royalties!?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stottie:
Yes! Real discussion, rebuttal etc! Grand stuff!
Here's what I wrote about my day between Richmond and Osmotherley. It's a poem, in case you wondered!!

And sadly thereís no early treat.
Switch off the brain, switch on the feet,
Through fields and lanes and gates and stiles
Youíve twenty-five mind-numbing miles,
Before you reach Osmotherley-
A word of warning brotherly:
Walk brisk, avoiding any risk
Of missing lunch at Danby Wiske,
Stride out until you light upon
Life-saving food at yon White Swan.
Start again with vim and vigour.
Twelve more miles? Thatís just a figure!

If anyone's still walking, as opposed to floating, jolly good luck!!

#1103 - 01/07/07 05:45 PM Re: White Swan - Danby Wiske
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
Quote:
Originally posted by pplace:
[B]By the way - My thanks to Lounge Lizard, Stottie, tmckenzie, lightweightmick and Nimrod for coming to our defense!
B]

Our pleasure,Ma'am [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img].
Nimrod

#1104 - 07/07/07 02:38 PM Re: White Swan - Danby Wiske
MJB Offline

Many thanks for an excellent welcome last week. I had the venison pie and hot chocolate cake with ice cream. Best meal of the whole trip without a doubt.

(I was one of the 5 smelly guys who camped in your beer garden)

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917