The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1277 - 17/08/06 03:58 AM best thing about C2C
CDNWALKER Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I completed the Coast to Coast Path on July 2nd but took a month to get back to home and to normal computer access. Here are my thoughts:

I have been asked repeatedly “what is the best part?” Everyone expects to have a geographical answer, but my response is “the people.” From St Bees Head lighthouse, right through to the Victoria Hotel bar in Robin Hood’s Bay, I met new people. All were friendly, all were interesting, and all smiled a lot, particularly when the beer was flowing and England was winning.

Ashley, whom I met on this forum, and his buddy Dale, who was recovering from pneumonia! (“Doc, how can I cure this pneumonia?” – walk 305 km across hills in lousy weather. Drink beer. Scream at television.) Great pair, lots of fun, excellent sense of humour. Hopefully, I will walk with them again.

Pat and Miriam (Miriam is headed to Everest Base camp sometime soon) from New Zealand.
John and Geri from Wiltshire whom I met on Calf Crag and then again at B&B in Keld and then again in RHB. They have walked all over the place including Peru.
Paul and Karen who proved that the best part about fighting is making up.
Dennis and Joy from Australia whose son is driving London to Capetown.
Andrew Smith, who was very articulate and seemed to set off very quickly across the landscape with almost no effort.
Nelson and Cindy from Colorado who once bicycled around the world. Nelson navigates by smell.
Peter and Jane from Cornwall who have the uncanny ability to produce a bottle of wine in the most unlikely locations.
Don and Patti from Philadelphia, whom I misplaced in Richmond. I hope that Patti managed the 37km stretch after that.
Sally the nurse and Sonja the midwife, who caught me up whilst I was navigating in heavy fog West of Nine Standards. First LDP for either, but I am sure they will become repeat offenders. Theoretically they will buy hats first.
Bob from Cambridge who, amongst other feats, upon retiring walked from Cambridge to Spain, 1900km.
David and Marina from Leeds University. The youngest people I met, were camping. Marina is from Brazil and has an enormous smile. David smiled a lot too, and we all know why.
Martin and Cindy. A touch reserved at first but they came around.
Nikki and John (??oops, is that his name!!??) who have produced an enormous amount of children, not sure how many, dozens perhaps...
Robin and Trish, very sweet people, Trish had major knee surgery, then did a short LDP and then the C2C. (Trishe’s bad knees thread.) I met their daughter as she ran along the cliffs from RHB to meet them.
Ken and Kurt, mild mannered college professors from the US who decided, seemingly with little preparation, that 11 days would be a reasonable time to do the C2C….and then did it in 10 ½ days.
The group of ten, who I kept bumping into but never connected with, except for one lady who seemed irritated by the slow pace of the group…there is a moral to that story.

If anyone is interested in seeing some photos of my adventures they can be seen online at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/552840198AjZHSX

Regards,

CDNWALKER

#1278 - 22/08/06 04:50 PM Re: best thing about C2C
Ash Offline

Loc: Selby
Cheers Bruce. I hope we do get a chance to walk again, perhaps with Pat and Miriam in NZ!

#1279 - 25/08/06 02:37 AM Re: best thing about C2C
shmidds Offline

Loc: Ivyland, PA USA
Yo Bruce! Patti and I enjoyed walking with you and really enjoyed your pictures. We agree with everything you said about the walk, it really was perfect.

Don

#1280 - 28/08/06 09:21 PM Re: best thing about C2C
AnthonyRHeath Offline

Loc: Knottingley, nr Pontefract Yor...
Hi Bruce, Well I've never been called sweet before but there you go,it must be a Canadian thing.
Robin & Trish

#1281 - 02/09/06 04:59 AM Re: best thing about C2C
CDNWALKER Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Great to hear from Ash!
Great to hear from Don and Patti: I last saw you at the castle in Richmond...spoke at length to a Captain of the local regiment and when I looked around you were gone! Hoped to see you on the way to Inglby Arncliffe but it never happened. Did you ever get to wear sunglasses? Did you finish on schedule?
Robin and Trish: well you are a fine couple: kind, generous, friendly, courteous...I am not sure why I chose the word "sweet," it just seemed right at the time! Cheers.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917