The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1410 - 29/08/06 10:12 PM Coast to Coast Campaign
[email protected] Offline

Loc: UK
Hi
All found this by chance, may be of interest!!

Alfred Wainwright devised it in 1972 and The Wainwright Society believes that 34 years of adventure and enjoyment and hard slog should have been quite enough time for the powers that be to realise itís there and worthy of inclusion in the family of National Trails.
http://www.wainwright.org.uk/coast_to_coast/national_trail.html

#1411 - 30/08/06 12:15 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why cant people just leave things as they are.

Wainwright didnt devise this walk.

I walked this walk with my son in 1967!

Wainwright was a half decent artist, but did no more walking than you or I .

In many ways his silly little books, that are inaccurate and for the most part impossible to follow, have done alot of damage to this part of England.

Once the pen pushing idiots that decide what is or isnt worthy of national trail status get their sweaty hands on this walk, I am going to piss off to Donegal.

#1412 - 30/08/06 07:48 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Once the pen pushing idiots that decide what is or isnt worthy of national trail status get their sweaty hands on this walk, I am going to piss off to Donegal.

Perhaps, in the light of Norman's e-mail, we should start a campaign to get it recognised as a national trail? Cheap one way flights to Egglington are esily available Norman.

#1413 - 30/08/06 08:16 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Fellwanderer Offline

Loc: Durham
And I bet NW beat Hillary and Tenzing to the top of Everest, too!

#1414 - 30/08/06 08:51 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Anonymous
Unregistered

No but I did do this walk for the first time in 1967.

#1415 - 30/08/06 10:30 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
DonegalTouristOffice Offline

I wish to make it known to all potential people coming to Donegal that Mr N. Walker is not welcome here and will be sent back to his miserable existance as soon as we can find a ferry that is prepared to take him.

#1416 - 30/08/06 11:38 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
tonyk Offline

The coast to coast walk is a concept rather than a fixed route.Wainwright never intended people to follow him blindly.

The truth is the only reason the coast to coast hasn't become a National Trail is due to the dangerous A road before Ingelby Cross.If the route had NT status the goverment would be obliged to make it safe and building a bridge across this road would cost a small fortune.

#1417 - 30/08/06 11:43 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
tonyk Offline

Quote:
I wish to make it known to all potential people coming to Donegal that Mr N. Walker is not welcome here and will be sent back to his miserable existance as soon as we can find a ferry that is prepared to take him

I presume he will be claiming asylum so it would be illegal to send him back to a country where he is at risk of being tortured by the Ramblers Association.

#1418 - 30/08/06 03:44 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
SarahG Offline

Loc: London
Just because you walked the walk in 1967 Norm, only means that you are older than some of us, not that you are any better. My mother was barely a concept in 1967 ; )

#1419 - 30/08/06 07:51 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
The Coast to Coast path was quite well established by 1967.
Back in about 1847 ancestors of mine, driven from Ireland because of a shortage of potatoes to feed their swine, are believed to have used the approximate coast to cast route with a large herd of pigs on their way to Denmark where they set up a successful bacon business.
Others though may be able to give details of an even earlier usage of the path.

#1420 - 30/08/06 07:58 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
flying scot Offline

Loc: Kakapoi New Zealand
[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/petermcg/leavingcorryhully.jpg[/img]
No need to go yo Ireland NW you can always come bothying up here. We can sit round a bothy fire and Chew the Fat.

#1421 - 30/08/06 08:02 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyk:
The coast to coast walk is a concept rather than a fixed route.Wainwright never intended people to follow him blindly.

The truth is the only reason the coast to coast hasn't become a National Trail is due to the dangerous A road before Ingelby Cross.If the route had NT status the goverment would be obliged to make it safe and building a bridge across this road would cost a small fortune.

The bridge would be a boost to walkers on the C2C. Okay,thankfully,there has been no accident on the A19 involving walkers (not to my knowledge anyway). However as someone taking an advanced driving course and observes the maximum speed limit,driving along the A19 on Monday and keeping within the 70mph,the amount of vehicles that over took me at speeds between 80-90mph was tremendous.
Of course,walkers have to be vigilant crossing it,but a vehicle doing a ton,coming out of nowhere,will have no control in trying to avoid the walker(s) and thus create a catastrophic accident.
As i said,thankfully,such a scenario has not yet occurred,but doing something to make such a thing less likely would surely be a blessing.
Nimrod

#1422 - 30/08/06 09:21 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Lounge Lizard Offline

Nimrod. But these walks are meant to be a challenge. A bridge over the A19, what next, a causeway both sides of Nine Standards ?

#1423 - 31/08/06 09:05 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
LoneWalker Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
OMG, I feel a Norman moment coming on....

For the number of people who do this walk each year and for the number of years it's been going, if no-one has been killed or seriously injured crossing the A19 - why the hell do we need a bridge???

Surely people capable of walking 200 miles across England should be capable of crossing a road?

#1424 - 31/08/06 09:44 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
tonyk Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWalker:

For the number of people who do this walk each year and for the number of years it's been going, if no-one has been killed or seriously injured crossing the A19 - why the hell do we need a bridge???

Surely people capable of walking 200 miles across England should be capable of crossing a road?

I have to agree with Nimrod.The A19 isn't the normal hazard you associate with a country walk and its only a matter of time before someone is killed.It comes at the worst possible time in the day when walkers are tired after a 23 mile slog from Richmond.Couple that with the slowing down of visual perception that happens when you have been away from traffic for a week or so and you have an accident waiting.So far people have been lucky but eventually that luck runs out.

#1425 - 31/08/06 12:21 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Nimrod Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWalker:
OMG, I feel a Norman moment coming on....

There are lot of things across the world that has been occuring for years,used by many people without an accident - until an accident happens and the investigation states the bleeding obvious. As TonyK rightly points out,the A19 isn't a normal hazard you associate with walking.
Nimrod

#1426 - 31/08/06 12:49 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
SarahG Offline

Loc: London
I feel a pre walk risk assessment coming on : )

#1427 - 31/08/06 05:31 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Where is the A19? I don't remember any dodgy bits except for the main road about 5 miles outside RHB.

#1428 - 31/08/06 06:04 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Nimrod Offline

It is just before you get to Ingleby Cross.
Nimrod

#1429 - 31/08/06 06:44 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Lounge Lizard Offline

If they're not capable of crossing a main road they should stay at home.
Or are we expected to tread Coast to Coast walkers like infant school children and provide them with lollipop ladies if a footbridge can't be built soon ?

#1430 - 31/08/06 07:24 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
tonyk Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard:
Or are we expected to tread Coast to Coast walkers like infant school children and provide them with lollipop ladies if a footbridge can't be built soon ?

Recently two people were killed near to were I live crossing a road very similar to the A19.Its not just walkers who are at risk but also motorists.It only takes one hesitant walker to cause a motorist to swerve with catasrophic consequences.

#1431 - 31/08/06 08:31 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
argonaut Offline

Loc: peterborough. uk
Yeah, when do we hear people making statements like.........................

"We must ensure this never happens again".

When its Far To late.

#1432 - 31/08/06 08:38 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Sam Peps Offline

I know he's deregistered now, but for the record - those were more black lies from Norman.

He did NOT walk the walk in 1967 - nor could he, being of tender years, much less, walk with his imaginary "son".

What does deregistered mean? Is it a voluntary or involuntary termination of membership?

#1433 - 31/08/06 10:23 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
landryrk Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I must one of those who crossed the A19 three times on one C2C walk (in September 2004). You see, the news agency in Ingleby Cross was closed so I was obligated to walk all the way back to the petrol station on the west side of the A19 to get us some snacks for the evening.

As I recall, it was a little dodgy but if you were patient, you could cross it without any difficulty.

C2C September 2004
Cotswolds Way May-June 2006
Dingle Way August-September 2007
Hadrian's Wall September 2009
Essex Way April 2013

#1434 - 01/09/06 12:16 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Nimrod Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard:

If you want the job LL,go for it,son.
Nimrod

#1435 - 01/09/06 07:30 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
argonaut Offline

Loc: peterborough. uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Peps:
I know he's deregistered now, but for the record - those were more black lies from Norman.

He did NOT walk the walk in 1967 - nor could he, being of tender years, much less, walk with his imaginary "son".

What does deregistered mean? Is it a voluntary or involuntary termination of membership?

Its not DEregistered, its UNregistered, and if thats the case i thought he was'nt allowed to post. ???

#1436 - 01/09/06 07:12 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Lounge Lizard Offline

Thanks, Nimrod, it would be better pay than I get taxi driving but it's too far to travel to and from work each day.

#1437 - 03/09/06 07:26 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
With regards to crossing the A19 or whatever.

The French have a very useful approach to these sorts of safety issues. You put up a sign telling people that there is a danger of fast moving traffic and assume that they will take the relevant precautions. Being French they usually put on the sign a reference to the relevant statute or by-law and disclaim all responsibility if you are too stupid or slow.

#1438 - 03/09/06 07:39 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Top Babe Offline

Loc: Wynyard, UK
Unfortunately I have to drive part of the A19 every day to work. It scares me even in the car as have seen so many accidents ( one week I saw one almost every day). It is a very busy dual carriageway and people drive too fast and too close together.
However you look at it crossing by foot is a risky business- i am sure if hte coast to coast remains as popular there will be an incident. The phrase 'chicken run' came to mind.
I would certainly support any campaign for a foot bridge.

#1439 - 03/09/06 08:24 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
We seem to have come a long way from the topic.

Let's assume the footbridge over the A19 has been built.

Do we still want the Coast to Coast to be a National Trail?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of National Trail status?

#1440 - 03/09/06 10:30 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Lounge Lizard Offline

Someone died drinking a cup of tea, someone died tieing their shoe laces, someone died doing just about any activity you can think of, so it's hardly surprising if somebody dies crossing the A19. Death is inevitable and comes to us all sooner or later.

#1441 - 03/09/06 10:53 AM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
You don't say...

I was wondering (assuming the A19 issue had been resoloved) whether we want the Coast to Coast to be a National Trail?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of National Trail status?

[This message has been edited by Kite21 (edited 03 September 2006).]

#1442 - 03/09/06 04:08 PM Re: Coast to Coast Campaign
Lounge Lizard Offline

Check www.nationaltrail.co.uk to find out more about the fifteen National Trails.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917