The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128941 - 26/05/13 03:31 PM Calderdale Way 25th May 2013.
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
As part of my continueous build up for next years Spine Race, yesterday I completed the 50 mile Caderdale Way in the Yorkshire Pennines.
It is a route I have wanted to do for many years and following our running club competeing in the Calderdale Way relays just last week, I was spuured on to at last do it.
Last weeks runners all reported a very hard steep hilly route, so this is what I was expecting.
It was late before I got to bed on friday night , but set my alarm for 1.30am. I may as well not have bothered as I couldn't sleep a wink although I felt quite tired. I gave up trying to nod off, so got up made final preperations and set off.
I parked up in Toddmorden and after explaining what I was doing to an inquisative pair of Police officers, at 4am, I was soon ascending the first long very steep incline. I hadn't gone very far before it began to get light. The clear sky was to remain all day and it became quite warm to hot accompanied by a cooler breeze.
I have to say the scenery is spectacular, the hills although not the height od mountains were enough to give excellent views all around.
This walk was proving to be very taxing in terms of effort although I felt quite strong. It was matter of constantly gaining hieght by way of long steep climbs, then losing all height gained before the next climb and so on.
After 21.5 miles on my own I came across a family, man, woman and son aged around 13 years.
I thought I would walk with them for a short while as I often do when coming across other walkers before pushing on, on my own. However they were walking very strongly at the same pace as myself. They were doing half the route of around 25 miles and staying at the YHA in Mankinholes, below Stoodley Pike. At the point we met they had completes around 5 miles. We were to walk together for next 20 miles. We all got on really well and before too long I felt as though I had known them for years. We didn't stop very often, only to visit a shop and go to the loo in a pub we were passing.
The route is quite confusing with many twists and turns, and was at times hard to follow on map I was using. my gps helped, but many paths marked on the map did not exist on the ground. Also the route had been altered in several locations to the one marked on the map and the signage was poor to none existent.
We passed by a few parties going on at remote farm type building, all probably taking advantage of good weather at last. Up on the moors we came across a 'rave' in a large hollow in the moor about half a mile from the nearest road. loud music young people dancing and having a whale of a time. They waved as we passed on the higher level, we waved back, they probably thinking as walkers we disapproved. However as long as they didn't cause any lasting damage and cleared up after themselves....
The son really impressed me with his strong walking only a couple of times slightly lagging behind the strong pace set by myself or his mum. I have never come across such a strong family of walkers before.
We lost the path heading down from Stoodley Pike area to Mankinholes but managed to get down cross country to the track that lead there just before it became dark.
I bade them farewell at the Youth Hostel and continued on back to my car in Toddmorden.
It had taken me a little over 19 hours with an average pace of just above 2.5 mph, much of it done at well above 3mph, but with 8,640 ft of ascent and descent over 50 miles and knowing that my legs felt strong the whole way, I was well pleased with that.
A few minutes after midnight I located a Pakistani takeaway and ordered some onion bargees and a Piri Piri Chicken burger and fries. I sat in my and devoured it before heading home. I arrived at around 1.30am ran a bath and had a good soak almost falling asleep in the process. there followed an excellent night sleep.
Dave.

#132811 - 27/05/13 10:33 PM Re: Calderdale Way 25th May 2013. [Re: Slogger]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Glad you managed to get to sleep after the walk, Dave. A good cure for insomnia!

It's tough walking in Calderdale - I once spoke with their Footpaths Officer in a pub at Hebden Bridge, and if I remember it correctly he said they had more miles of public footpaths than any other Borough or District Council in England.

I bedded down at Mankinholes YH a few weeks ago - lovely spot, and I was the only one in the room - with the excellent Top Brink pub at Lumbutts is only 5 minutes' walk away.

#138919 - 29/05/13 04:08 PM Re: Calderdale Way 25th May 2013. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Presuming you sat in your car Dave...
You can't trust them there LDP green diamonds. O/S appear more interested in copyright dealings than in actully helping direct people on the ground. Same with one of my nearby routes (Sheff Country Walk - about same distance) with far too many converging green diamonds. Guide books become useless if they update the route an' all...

#139341 - 29/05/13 07:07 PM Re: Calderdale Way 25th May 2013. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

I do have the OS 1:25,000 of the area but like you say Mick too confusing with all the other converging LDPs in that area. I ended up taking 1:50,000 print offs laminated, but was not enough detail. Walking off Studley Pike area in decreasing light on a compass bearing through some of the worst tussock ground ever.
Thoroughly enjoyed it though and no ill effects or blisters apart from slightly bruised feet. Will have to find the right footwear soon, to date all I have tried are not up to the really long stuff.
Dave.
Ps. Yeah, 'car'!

#139915 - 29/05/13 10:44 PM Re: Calderdale Way 25th May 2013. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

You seem to have cracked the blisters at least - did you ever try out those Inov 8 boots?

#143845 - 30/05/13 09:36 PM Re: Calderdale Way 25th May 2013. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

No, which model were they. Annie who was with me at the end of the Spine had worn some leather Inov8's earlier on, but they didn't look to have much upper support.
Blisters are not as bad since I have been pre-taping with the addition of a ball of foot Compeed. I tape the heelarea, side of big toe & joint, same with the little Toe. Over and round big toe and toe number 2.
Dave.

#144128 - 30/05/13 11:54 PM Re: Calderdale Way 25th May 2013. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Not sure now Dave - we were buzzin' about 'em 3 yrs ago and I nearly got some.
These are the leather ones that maybe Annie wore:
Roclite 400 GTX

these not:
Roclite 390 GTX

then the Roclite 370 non Goretex which may have been superceded by the 335...

looks like they now only do 286,335 & 400:

Inov-8 website

#145241 - 31/05/13 08:31 AM Re: Calderdale Way 25th May 2013. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

I always wondered what those numbers reffered to, then found out it is to do with theor weight. The lower the number the lighter the weight. Ive got a couple of pairs of running shoes but even the heaviest, the 295's I think are very flexible and leave you with sore feet after about 10 mile or so. There again trail and especially Fell running shoes are notoriously uncomfortable, but will get you round.
Dave.

#147005 - 31/05/13 10:17 PM Re: Calderdale Way 25th May 2013. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

I will only use New Balance - never liked the look of the Inov-8 shoes... we're both glad we didn't get 'em now then.
Can't say I've ever had any of their (NB) trail shoes with I could describe as uncomfortable - not ones designed for distance that is. I do have a pair of lighter trail shoes more designed for racing that took some getting used to though.

I'm getting threat pop-up alerts on this site now... never seen them on here before - you getting any security alerts?

#153917 - 01/06/13 06:46 PM Re: Calderdale Way 25th May 2013. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Keep getting attack page warnings.Just ignore them as I think they are created by that clown who has made 46,000 posts (!) on the South Downs Way forum.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917