The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2086 - 16/02/08 05:30 PM train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
westcoasthiker Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Hello to everyone. I have been reading the posts for quite some time and now that we are getting closer to our trip I would like to know if the price that I come up with on the internet for train travel is the cheapest. Right now I have come up with 85pounds for the one way fare. Seems expensive to me. I also gather that because we live overseas (Canada) that I will have to telephone to buy the tickets. Thanks for any input.

#2087 - 16/02/08 05:41 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Quote:
Originally posted by westcoasthiker:
Hello to everyone. I have been reading the posts for quite some time and now that we are getting closer to our trip I would like to know if the price that I come up with on the internet for train travel is the cheapest. Right now I have come up with 85pounds for the one way fare. Seems expensive to me. I also gather that because we live overseas (Canada) that I will have to telephone to buy the tickets. Thanks for any input.

I've looked it up on www.nationalrail.co.uk and the Open Single fare from Manchester Airport to St Bees is given as 42.70 ( Saver return 52.40 ) which isn't bad for a relaxing journey with lovely views.

#2088 - 16/02/08 06:33 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
westcoasthiker Offline

Thanks for the speedy reply. I've checked out the website and found the same price. Now I have to figure out how to buy from overseas, possibly a travel agent over here can purchase the tickets for us otherwise I'll call the train company directly. We're looking forward to the walk, starting May 17 and ending May 31.

#2089 - 16/02/08 09:17 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Hi wch
You have to know how to work the system to get the best prices. These tickets seem to be released about 6 or 8 weeks ahead of trip time, so I checked for April 11. Also, its possible to get better prices by buying two tickets to your destination. Manchester to Carlisle is 15 pounds from the nationalrail site, and only 10.5 pounds from www.thetrainline.com. Why? Who knows? I always use this site and paid 9.5 in 2006 for the same ticket. Carlisle to St. Bees is 9.2 on either site. You actually don't need advance tickets for this link, all one price any time but no Sunday travel.

You buy the tickets on the website and pick them up at the train station from the Fast Ticket machine. Very easy!
Of course, you also take the train from the airport to Picadilly Station in Manchester, but that's only about 3 pounds purchased at the station.
Let us know how you do.

#2090 - 16/02/08 11:25 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
westcoasthiker Offline

Thanks for the advice. I checked out the link and tried to do a booking but once I get to the enter your postal code then country I come to a hault as my postal code isn't recognized. Judging by your message it sounds like we could just arrive at the train station and buy tickets then but presumably for a much higher price. We do have relatives in England so we may end up getting them to purchase the tickets for us then mailing them here just to get a lower rate. Luckily we have enough time before our departure. Considering we haven't even booked the airfare nor any accomodations I'd better get that done first.

#2091 - 17/02/08 05:33 AM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Quote:
Thanks for the speedy reply. I've checked out the website and found the same price. Now I have to figure out how to buy from overseas, possibly a travel agent over here can purchase the tickets for us otherwise I'll call the train company directly. We're looking forward to the walk, starting May 17 and ending May 31.

The 42.70 quoted is for an 'Open' single so you can buy that ticket on the day of travel. Trying to buy any chaeper tickets from across the pond might be difficult, would restrict you to particular trains, the tickets being invalid if your flight was delayed and needed a later one and it probably wouldn't make much of a reduction in the overall cost of your holiday.

[This message has been edited by Lounge Lizard (edited 17 February 2008).]

#2092 - 17/02/08 06:14 AM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Use your credit card to purchase online and choose to pick up the tickets at the Fast Ticket machine in the train station instead of having them mailed, then they don't ask you to specify a postal code or country. Of course, as LL said, you need to coordinate plane and train times or you are screwed. I've done this a half dozen times, no problem, always at very low fares.

You would buy the tickets at the station when all tickets on the train are the same price regardless of when you buy them such as from the airport into Manchester and from Carlisle to St. Bees. From Manchester to Carlisle, use the online service with Fast Ticket.

#2093 - 17/02/08 07:22 AM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
peter1945 Offline

Loc: Mid North Coast, NSW, Australi...
Hi WCH
Had the same problem last year when we tried to book from Australia. Have deleted the emails now, but I think you can Google tickets from Manchester Airport to St Bees , and you should come up with your country's website for advance ticketing. Just contact them (British Rail or something like that) - can't find the info I left on this site last year - then pay in your money and get an open voucher for the time of your travel. And the guard will check the voucher on the train. It cost us $100 AUD each for one way. Not cheap!
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Peter.

#2094 - 17/02/08 03:16 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
J&B Offline

Loc: Kingston, Ontario, CANADA
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I checked out the link and tried to do a booking but once I get to the enter your postal code then country I come to a hault as my postal code isn't recognized. Judging by your message it sounds like we could just arrive at the train station and buy tickets then but presumably for a much higher price. We do have relatives in England so we may end up getting them to purchase the tickets for us then mailing them here just to get a lower rate. Luckily we have enough time before our departure. Considering we haven't even booked the airfare nor any accomodations I'd better get that done first.

We tried the same site as you for one of our walks and ran into the same situation when it came time to enter the postal code. If you have relatives in the UK just use their address and post code, it's being charged to your credit card anyway so it makes no differance, we did that using our friends post code and had no problem. When we got to the train station you just need to use your credit card for verification and out pops your tickets.....no problems!!

Enjoy your walk, we plan to do the Coast to Coast summer 2009 [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

J&B
Kingston, Ontario
CANADA

#2095 - 17/02/08 05:05 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
westcoasthiker Offline

Thanks to everyone who replied. To Peter1945 I do recall reading your posts on this site quite awhile ago so I remember the problems you encountered. I had hoped by this time things might be different but alas they are not. We may end up just buying the tickets on the arrival day that way if we want an earlier train we have that option. Now I'd better get down to the business of arranging accomodations.
On that note does anyone have any particular favourites?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917