The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2106 - 05/03/08 03:15 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
westcoasthiker Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Quite the discussion now. Weighing the cost of a GPS versus the costs plus weight of all the maps needed for this walk, the GPS wins. We do have good maps and enjoy using them but using a GPS will enable us to do geotagging which links our digital pictures to specific locations.

#2107 - 05/03/08 04:01 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
We have had all this Pro and Con discussion about GPS's many times on this web site over the years.

I have 3 GPS units and love to play with them. However, don't always believe what a GPS tells you as it only works in a straight line...providing that you have enough satelite coverage and you keep checking the calibration. Otherwise they can lead you in the wrong direction or over the edge of a cliff.

Combining a cheap GPS with a Silva compass and an old fashioned OS map is clearly the way to have a trouble free journey, as you will not miss the little turn-offs.

Again, HOWEVER, when walking the C2C...why do you need a map, GPS, waypoints, or compass ? It's only necessary to follow the depressions in the ground, the group in front of you, and/or, the discarded McDonalds wrappers.

#2108 - 05/03/08 04:25 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Peps:
Ha! Gulf Islander shot the Lizard to pieces there.

With GPS it's added value LL, not less value. Think it through.

Part of the attraction of going on a good walk can be getting away from all modern gadgetry like mobile phones and GPS while nenewing ones mapreading skills. But if you want to take all the home comforts with you and have your bags carried for you that's your prerogative.

#2109 - 05/03/08 05:05 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
westcoasthiker Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Just a note again.... we will be using maps,a compass and a GPS and most definitely carrying our own packs! I'm sure we will have a great time and will meet many interesting people along the way. Thanks for all the comments.

#2110 - 05/03/08 06:49 PM Re: train schedules from Manchester to St. Bees
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Have fun my friend. The coast to coast is a mind changing experience. I will do it again before I fall off the perch.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917