The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2714 - 05/11/00 08:03 PM Need advice on doing the CW on december
jcalonge Offline

Loc: New york, NY, usa
Hi there,
I would like to do the CW, it sounds great, but the only time I have available is after the 10th of december. I understand it will be cold and wet. But, does anybody know how cold and how wet? too much to enjoy? Would some of the trails be unpassable?
I would appreciate any info regarding this issue or any other pertinent advice.
Thanks,
julia

#2715 - 08/11/00 11:27 PM Re: Need advice on doing the CW on december
Strider Offline

Loc: Central UK
[Hi Julia,
I did the CW in April/May, bt I do walk all year round in the Peak District. All I can tel you is that it could be very cold and snowy, or you could be really lucky and get clear, bright weather. As long as you have the basic gear (wind/waterproof coat and the 'trimmings' that most of us carry in Winter), you should be OK!
Strider

#2716 - 10/11/00 07:50 AM Re: Need advice on doing the CW on december
Strider Offline

Hello Julia,
there don't,as yet, seem to be many replies to your question and I suspect this is because it's a sort of 'how long is a piece of string' type of question. The thing is, I myself really enjoy facing into a tearing gale, I LOVE snow, I can abide rain in the right company that too can even be enjoyable. But at what point do YOU feel the cold? At what point would YOU think 'sod this for a game of soldiers'? It's all down to personal preferences etc. I will just repeat the old mantra 'as long as you have all the right equipment...' etc.
The only thing that would make things impassable really is snow, and who mknows weather we will get any or not? The truth is, at that time of the year you are increasing your chances of something going wrong, weather wise, acommodation wise and al-wise, but the up side is you will not be among crowds. I personally like winter walking, but don't know if I'd be prepared tp do a long walk in winter with the short daylight hours - I would be too worried I would miss something (also I really enjoy watching the sun go down at the end of a good day - preferably at some time around 9:00pm)
Strider

#2717 - 10/11/00 07:51 AM Re: Need advice on doing the CW on december
Strider Offline

Hello Julia,
there don't,as yet, seem to be many replies to your question and I suspect this is because it's a sort of 'how long is a piece of string' type of question. The thing is, I myself really enjoy facing into a tearing gale, I LOVE snow, I can abide rain in the right company that too can even be enjoyable. But at what point do YOU feel the cold? At what point would YOU think 'sod this for a game of soldiers'? It's all down to personal preferences etc. I will just repeat the old mantra 'as long as you have all the right equipment...' etc.
The only thing that would make things impassable really is snow, and who mknows weather we will get any or not? The truth is, at that time of the year you are increasing your chances of something going wrong, weather wise, acommodation wise and al-wise, but the up side is you will not be among crowds. I personally like winter walking, but don't know if I'd be prepared tp do a long walk in winter with the short daylight hours - I would be too worried I would miss something (also I really enjoy watching the sun go down at the end of a good day - preferably at some time around 9:00pm)
Strider

#2718 - 24/12/00 03:35 PM Re: Need advice on doing the CW on december
Anonymous
Unregistered

id love tto walk the c/w with you christmas hhhholidays

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917