The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1678
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35942 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2803 - 05/01/05 12:05 PM Re: any good
FootSore Offline

Loc: UK
Well yes you would, especially the bit from the transmitter masts above the Blue Bell Inn (just after the A19) througn Clay Bank Top and onto the rail line crossroads. Because they follow the same route. But this means you get to go to Lord's Stones Cafe so no great loss, and walking this stretch again is no downer.

The previous day to Osmotherly has very similar views to this section as does the first half of the day after around Roseberry topping area.

Then its coastal walking for two days down to Robin Hoods Bay with some spectacular coastal scenery. A couple of beach stretches. Spent a nice morning walking down the beach to 'Whitby' (memory?) with boots around neck and rucksack on back.

Then follow the route into Robin Hoods Bay or if your lazy you can skip it and follow the discused railway round RHB and save the descent/ascent to Ravenscar.

An excellent trail.

FootSore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#2804 - 05/01/05 02:34 PM Re: any good
Spud Offline

Loc: Hull/Yorkshire/UK
Our usual gang of 8 did the cleveland way in 2000 - we'd done it back in 1990 too and its a cracking walk - got everything -moors/dales/sand/sea and fairly easy walking too - no major big climbs but plenty of rolling countryside. august is a wonderful time as the moors will be purple with heather.

We started from Helmsley (plenty of accomodation/pubs etc)and stayed as follows:-
Osmotherley (queen catherines pub) but several b+bs available.
Gt. Broughton (Mrs. Sutcliffe, Ingle Hill, Gt. Broughton (they will collect you from Clay bank and drop you off the next morning)
plenty of pubs in Gt. Broughton.
(the amazing things for us, as there are several musicians in our group was that there were tons of photos of Mr + Mrs Sutcliffe who were both in their 70's with Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall and the rest of the Rolling Stones - apparently her daughter was nanny to Jaggers children)
Saltburn (plenty of b+b's + pubs)
Runswick Bay (mrs. shackleton, The Firs, RB)
there is a marvellous pub there too overlooking the bay - do wonderful T. Bone steaks.
Robin Hoods Bay (once again a good selection of b+b's/pubs
Scarborough (ditto)
finishing at Filey.

there are pubs/cafes to stop at for lunch
everyday which always is a big plus in our books.

there are several books showing the route - seem to remember that we used Paul Hannons book.

you're in for a treat - good luck

#2805 - 10/01/05 08:47 PM Re: any good
Tom de Sherwood Offline

Loc: Nottingham, England
Thought I would like to do this walk this August.
Started to book my way round the walk. Got as far as Great Ayton, no problem, but can't get anywhere around Saltburn area or Runswick area for love or money.
Holiday season you see and no way will they take a one night booking or one person booking. To old to carry all the camping gear now, so I have decided to have a few days and walk from Helmsley to Great Ayton.
Bit of a shame really.

#2806 - 21/01/05 02:39 PM Re: any good
FootSore Offline

Only thought could be that at this time of year they are not willing to take a single night booking. If they take a single now they could lose out on a whole week or fortnight booking! Understandable but still frustrating.

You could try phoning round a week or two before you go. They may be more receptive then.

Alternatively could see if you can return to the same spot for a few nights using either Taxi or buses. Not ideal but may work especially along the coast in the summer where buses may be more frequent. The route is pretty linear. While I type and think when we walked it there was a couple who were using bus/car combo and B&Bs. The bus route ran specifically around the route Cleveland Rambler or something. Try tourist info. This could let you base yourself somewhere for a few days.

Or if their is a bag transfer system in place you could camp it.

FootSore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#2807 - 21/01/05 06:04 PM Re: any good
Tom de Sherwood Offline

Loc: Nottingham, England
I have resolved it now thanks Footsore.
I have changed the route a bit and I now go from Gt Ayton to Danby and then to Sleights, choosing my own route along the Esk Valley. I shall enjoy it every bit as much. Once at Sleights, I then have the Youth Hostels down to Scarborough and then like you say, I shall book into Scarborough for two nights, so I can walk to Filey Brigg and get a bus back.
Looking forward to it now.

#2808 - 24/01/05 03:45 PM Re: any good
FootSore Offline

Tom,

The beach stuff is a little cheesy but if you have walked plenty of other trails it makes a refereshing change, especially if the weather is kind.

FootSore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#2809 - 07/02/05 07:54 PM Re: any good
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
Hi walkinwoman,
Sorry I didn't get back to your original question on 1 January,but I have been concentrating on the C2C (dunno why - I am not doing it this year!:rolleyes [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img].
However,it looks like you got your answers. Saying that,the walk from Ingleby Cross to Blakey Ridge was my favourite part of the C2C,but then again I'm biased as the NYM are just down the road from where I live and they are my favourite area for walking.
If you want anymore advice,don't hesitate to ask.
Nimrod
marks.bradshaw@ntlworld.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917