The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2822 - 05/05/05 11:00 PM first cleveland walk
foxsake Offline

Loc: northants
Hi

I'm planning on walking the cleveland walk for the first time ever.......... at the end of Sept just wondering if anyone is interested in joining me on what seems like an experience of a lifeime? I plan camping throughout the route. Am i mad??? lol

#2823 - 17/05/05 04:48 PM Re: first cleveland walk
CrazyCragRat Offline

Loc: Great Britain
Well Foxsake you picked a quality walk there.
The Cleveland way is a top trail that is not to hard but at the same time still quite challenging in places.The moors are a fantastic place to walk on and that time of year they will be at their best.
Camping is no problem along the way but i would not advise you to be carefull wjere you pitch if you get caught short on the coastal path.I once hopped over a fence a to camp out in a field when i ran out of daylight and promptly got a rudw awakening from a pretty shaken up farmer who was night harvesting and nearly minced me up with his combine,i made the mistake of camping out on the edge of his wheatfield and the poor old sod could not see me tent.Nearly ended up in a box of shredded wheat.
Cleveland way ! Top walk in my book.
I will be doing the C/W meself in Mid June.

#2824 - 05/07/05 10:51 AM Re: first cleveland walk
shell Offline

Loc: newcastle England
you will hava an ace time, i walked the way over easter by myself as everyone else my age thought i was crazy. lone female and no hassle met some lovely people and didn't feel isolated at all.
x

#2825 - 02/08/05 06:46 PM Re: first cleveland walk
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
I did the CW in Jun and loved it to pieces.

I hardly saw a soul...why isn't it more popular?

The Cleveland Hills are a bit of a challenge, someone said it's like walking along a stegosaurus's back. Nothing too demanding but you'll know you've walked them. Try Roseberry Topping after a long day's hike...

The moors will be gorgeous by then and are beautiful to walk thru.

The coastal path was fab in June. Hot and bright. The North Sea was like blue, blue glass...could've been Greece or anywhere...picture book stuff. Dunno what it'd be like in the wind and rain. I'd be a bit wary about camping on the coastal path. Could be a bit dodgy. But what do I know? I like a few creature comforts after a day's walking.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It's a top walk.

Kite

#2826 - 03/08/05 12:16 AM Re: first cleveland walk
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
Try Roseberry Topping after a long day's hike...

I have - after a 34 mile hike. However,I am so glad you enjoyed it and like you,I am surprised it is not that popular,which is a bit rich from me,as I live within sight of the Cleveland Hills and have not attempted to do it myself.
Nimrod

#2827 - 27/09/05 05:58 PM Re: first cleveland walk
snaffles Offline

Loc: Northants, UK
Hi,

Did you do the Cleveland Way in September?
I am planning to do it early summer next year and was wondering how you got along.

Many thanks.

#2828 - 28/09/05 08:20 PM Re: first cleveland walk
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
Quote:
Originally posted by Kite21:
I did the CW in Jun and loved it to pieces.

I hardly saw a soul...why isn't it more popular?

The Cleveland Hills are a bit of a challenge, someone said it's like walking along a stegosaurus's back. Nothing too demanding but you'll know you've walked them. Try Roseberry Topping after a long day's hike...

The moors will be gorgeous by then and are beautiful to walk thru.

The coastal path was fab in June. Hot and bright. The North Sea was like blue, blue glass...could've been Greece or anywhere...picture book stuff. Dunno what it'd be like in the wind and rain. I'd be a bit wary about camping on the coastal path. Could be a bit dodgy. But what do I know? I like a few creature comforts after a day's walking.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It's a top walk.

Kite

How long did it take you and what was accomadation like?
Nimrod

#2829 - 01/10/05 09:15 AM Re: first cleveland walk
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
I did it in 8 days. It spilts nicely into two parts - four days on the moors and four down the coast.

Accom varied a couple of farm houses at the beginning (which were both fab), a couple of private houses which were comfy but old fashioned, a couple of pubs that were OK and one absoutely splendid b&b in Saltburn.

Highlights for me were the flashflood in Helmsley on the second day of my walk -which was unforgettable. Never known anything like it. I had to shelter in The Hambleton Inn! Not the first time a pub has saved my life! Haha. The moors were great walking and the red grouse had chicks in June so didn't fly away when you got close to them. Saltburn and Filey were unexpectedly lovely.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917