The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2858 - 17/03/06 02:02 PM first walk
inkie Offline

Loc: the netherlands
hi, i'm thinking off doing a part off the cleveland way in august. it will be my first time to ever do a walk. i live at the dutch coast surrounded by dunes and walk there quite often but i'm not trained (yet). can i do the walk by myself?

[This message has been edited by inkie (edited 17 March 2006).]

#2859 - 17/03/06 08:17 PM Re: first walk
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Inkie

Your question is difficult to answer because we do not know much about your experience. You suggest you are thinking of walking part of the Cleveland Way but which part are you thinking about? I trust you know all about the route, if not I suggest you fully research the route and make your decision as to which section(s) you would like to walk. Are you good at map reading? Do you have much experience of walking in the hills/over moorland.

You will learn a little more about the Cleveland Way from posts on this site and there are many contributors to this forum with vast expereince of the Cleveland Hills?north Yorkshire Moors & Coastal area.

The Cleveland Way is a wonderful walk but it is not easy for someone who is tackling there first long distance walk. It is 110 miles long and splits into two. The first 55 miles or so are mainly over hills/moors and the second 55 miles or so follows the North Sea from Saltburn down to Filey with many ups and downs to bays and villages.

If you are fit and you can read maps then with the right amount of planning and forward booking then go for it - you will certainly enjoy the walk (whichever part of the walk you decide to do).

I trust you have looked at the website for the Cleveland Way which is www.clevelandway.gov.uk

You will see from the website that there are plenty of maps and books available including accommodation guides. I recommend National Trail Guide by Anthony Burton titled the Cleveland Way.

Good luck.

#2860 - 18/03/06 08:10 AM Re: first walk
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
Hi Inkie

It is a lovely walk. I did it myself last year. You can easily do it on your own. In fact, I hardly saw a soul when I did it. The only time I walked with anyone for any distance was the day or so when the path coincides witht the Coast to Coast walk.

The Cleveland Way is well signposted - so you shouldn't get lost.

It is in two clear halves. The moorland and the coastal path - both of which are very beautiful in their own way.

Which bit of it were you thinking of doing?

There's probably grouse shooting on the moors from August 12th onwards - so probably not a good idea to venture off the beaten track!!

It's a great walk and I've no idea why it isn't more popular.

Kite

[This message has been edited by Kite21 (edited 18 March 2006).]

#2861 - 22/03/06 10:02 PM Re: first walk
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Hi Inkie,

I did the walk the Cleveland Way on my own in 2004 - or rather with my dog! It's a great walk and was my first real long distance path, although I do a lot of one off day walks.

If you are not used to hills the hardest day will be Osmotherley onward, probably to Clay Bank, although scrambling up and down on the coastal path was quite fun at times too!

It is quite quiet and I only met a few other people who were walking the path, or parts of it.

If you are ready for the hills, go for it. You'll have a great time.

Heatha.

#2862 - 24/03/06 12:06 PM Re: first walk
inkie Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Heatha:
Hi Inkie,

I did the walk the Cleveland Way on my own in 2004 - or rather with my dog! It's a great walk and was my first real long distance path, although I do a lot of one off day walks.

If you are not used to hills the hardest day will be Osmotherley onward, probably to Clay Bank, although scrambling up and down on the coastal path was quite fun at times too!

It is quite quiet and I only met a few other people who were walking the path, or parts of it.

Heatha.

#2863 - 26/03/06 07:32 AM Re: first walk
inkie Offline

thanks for the reply. i'm thinking off doing the coastal part. i'll take your suggestions in consideration. th e website is a great help. thans, inkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Journeyman:
Hello Inkie

Your question is difficult to answer because we do not know much about your experience. You suggest you are thinking of walking part of the Cleveland Way but which part are you thinking about? I trust you know all about the route, if not I suggest you fully research the route and make your decision as to which section(s) you would like to walk. Are you good at map reading? Do you have much experience of walking in the hills/over moorland.

You will learn a little more about the Cleveland Way from posts on this site and there are many contributors to this forum with vast expereince of the Cleveland Hills?north Yorkshire Moors & Coastal area.

The Cleveland Way is a wonderful walk but it is not easy for someone who is tackling there first long distance walk. It is 110 miles long and splits into two. The first 55 miles or so are mainly over hills/moors and the second 55 miles or so follows the North Sea from Saltburn down to Filey with many ups and downs to bays and villages.

If you are fit and you can read maps then with the right amount of planning and forward booking then go for it - you will certainly enjoy the walk (whichever part of the walk you decide to do).

I trust you have looked at the website for the Cleveland Way which is www.clevelandway.gov.uk

You will see from the website that there are plenty of maps and books available including accommodation guides. I recommend National Trail Guide by Anthony Burton titled the Cleveland Way.

Good luck.

#2864 - 26/03/06 07:34 AM Re: first walk
inkie Offline

thank you heatha, you make it sound great. i'm going for the coastal path and trust that i'll have a great time and not too much difficulties. inki.

Quote:
Originally posted by Heatha:
Hi Inkie,

Heatha.

#2865 - 26/03/06 08:40 PM Re: first walk
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
You'll love it, Inkie. It's a fantastic walk down the coast.

I might even see you - I'm finishing the C2C in early August.

If you need any more info/advice just ask. If I'm not about, someone else will be sure to help you!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917