The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1682
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35948 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2902 - 21/07/06 12:23 PM September
Anonymous Cowherd Offline

Hi -

My gf & I are looking to do the Cleveland Way in mid-September.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the weather's likely to be like?

Also, we're both fairly experienced walkers (although not in the UK) - is it realistic to do the whole thing in 8 days?

#2903 - 21/07/06 03:52 PM Re: September
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
The weather here in September could be anything from hot to cold, dry to wet and miserable. Yes, if I can do it in 8 days, you can do it in 8!

It's a great walk. Enjoy.

Heatha.

#2904 - 21/07/06 08:45 PM Re: September
Anonymous
Unregistered

work it out for yourself.

Its commom sense.

#2905 - 21/07/06 10:05 PM Re: September

Quote:
Originally posted by norman walker:
work it out for yourself.

Its commom sense.

Thanks, Norm, for your helpful suggestion.

I've looked for climate & September 2003-2005 weather averages for the region without success, so I thought I'd ask folk who had experience with the area to see what they thought. Local folks, local knowledge... all that.

But thanks - you've been a great help.

Can I do it in 8 days? Yeah, I'm reasonably comfident based on previous experience that I can. Nonetheless, local knowledge of a track is the most valuable that you can get. No matter how flash you think you are, local conditions will always throw you. Which, not being from the UK, is why I asked.

But again, thanks Norm.

#2906 - 21/07/06 10:19 PM Re: September

Ok - couple of pints down when I originaly posted and so Norm, I apologise for the sarky tone.

Nonetheless, I reckon local knowledge and experience is the best advice so my queries stand - how did you find the track in Septemeber weather-wise, and can a fit, young couple reasonably expect to knock it off in 8 days or so.

And thanks Heatha.

#2907 - 22/07/06 05:10 AM Re: September
Heatha Offline

Glad to help. I live about half an hour away so know the route and the variable weather quite well. I walked it in August 2004.

#2908 - 22/07/06 07:31 AM Re: September
Anonymous
Unregistered

What does it bloody matter what the weather is like get on and walk that weeks examination whatever the weather.

To ask people in July what the weather will be like in september is folly.

My guess is it will be sunny,windy,rainy and dark at night.

#2909 - 22/07/06 07:40 AM Re: September
Heatha Offline

Norman, you've got out of bed on the wrong side again! Try getting back in, sunshine, and try the other side when you get out again!

#2910 - 22/07/06 08:10 AM Re: September
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am always angry in the morning and then get angrier as the day goes by.

#2911 - 22/07/06 08:30 AM Re: September
Heatha Offline

As if we hadn't noticed! What a sweetie you are!

#2912 - 22/07/06 11:19 AM Re: September
Onslow2 Offline

Kind of agree with Norm on this.

If you are looking to do this walk in 5-6 weeks from now and you are experienced walkers then you should have a fair idea if you can do a 110 mile walk in 8 days.

I would hoped that you checked for accomodation points along the way if you set yourself for 8 days. As for distance, you will average 14-15 miles per day. Only you know if you can do that kind of distance day in day out.

Personaly I have done that kind of distances on the Cotswold way for a week and it felt more like work than enjoyment. Distances of that magnitude tend to become tedious after a while, especialy if you are doing this for pleasure and not as a challenge.

As for the weather, you have to be prepared for anything and in the north of England you tend to get anything.

Bast of luck ace

#2913 - 23/07/06 05:52 PM Re: September
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
I don't live far from the Cleveland Hills,and hopefully I should be out walking again in September,so you never know I might bump into you!
Nimrod

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited 24 July 2006).]

#2914 - 24/08/06 06:48 PM Re: September
Wasted_ace Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I just covered the Cleveland Way in just over 8 days and every day was wet,windy and cold and that just after all the record breaking temps in July.
Its a tough old walk in places but 8 or 9 days is a reasonable time limit.
Good Luck.

#2915 - 24/08/06 06:51 PM Re: September

We've gone with 9 days (the 9th till the 17th) and we're REALLY hoping that the weather clears out nicely for it... especially becuase we're camping.

#2916 - 27/08/06 10:12 AM Re: September
Rufus Offline

Loc: UK
Hi,

visit the following website,
http://www.metoffice.com/weather/europe/uk/outlook/index.html

I find it is fairly accurate and I agree with the previous replys, expect wind and rain and be pleasantly suprised if you get sun!

From 'oop North,

Rufus

#2917 - 13/09/06 12:39 AM Re: September
Graham S Offline

Loc: Pontefract
As regards the weather, I agree with previous postings that you could experience almost anything in September, but the autumnal colours that will have begun to appear on the North York Moors and this could really add to your walk. Be prepared with woolly hat and gloves!

Whether it is tough for you or not will depend entirely upon the (unpredictable) weather, how much you have decided to carry and your level of fitness at the start.

My children (aged 9 and 11) skipped the whole route without so much as a blister (over Spring Bank Holiday 2001), but we had chosen to use three main camps and then the unenvironmentally friendly option of two cars to manage each leg, walking only with small day bags.

Our Cleveland Way was a marvellous experience, marred only by the fact that one day our 'return' vehicle had been broken into in broad daylight on the main car sea-front car park on a wet day in Saltburn.

When you reach Filey you could always carry on along the Wolds Way all the way down to the Humber Bridge!

Good luck and I hope that the weather is as kind to you as it was to us.

#2918 - 13/09/06 07:40 PM Re: September
ernest smith Offline

Loc: east yorkshire , england
Hi
it is maybe to late for my sixpeneth i would think you are committed now one way or another, i have just been looking in my notes and see we have had good weather in all the autumn months when we have been walking on the north York moors and even in Febuary but you cannot quarantee the weather. go prepared for the worse and hope for the best
all the best

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917