The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2921 - 28/10/06 09:09 PM Maps for Cleveland Way ?
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Planning on doing the CW next June and as it is an old established National Trail, am I right in thinking that maps are unnecessary?

Previously paid out money for C2C, WHW and Hadrians Wall maps and books, then found that I hardly used them as the trails were so well marked and worn.

#2922 - 29/10/06 09:12 AM Re: Maps for Cleveland Way ?
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Oldun

I think you will find the National Trail Guide by Ian Sampson is all you will need. ISBN 1-85410-854-9. Maps included in detailed routes and lots of interest facts relating to the route and area.

#2923 - 29/10/06 09:28 AM Re: Maps for Cleveland Way ?
Oldun Offline

Thanks Journeyman..found your March 2006 post.

I have a question regarding the safety of the costal cliff edges. On one site I was reading, it implied that the edges were breaking away making the path dangerous and is to be avoided.

How would you comment?

#2924 - 29/10/06 05:28 PM Re: Maps for Cleveland Way ?
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Oldun,

There are several small area's on the Coastal sections where the cliffs are eroding but I wouldn't say erosion to the extent that the paths are dangerous HOWEVER I would never advise anyone to walk to the edge to have a look straight down the cliffs. The problem on some streches of the east coast cliffs is not such much the rocks but the soil that sits above them. The soil tends to soak up all the water and then occasionally, usually in winter, sections fall away into the sea.

Don't let the comments about the dangerous paths put you off. The CW is a great walk and like any distance walk there are sections that you have to just be careful. I haven't walked all the coastal section for a few years but I have walked some stretches this year including part of the C2C walk and I wouldn't say they were dangerous.

#2925 - 29/10/06 07:15 PM Re: Maps for Cleveland Way ?
Oldun Offline

I enjoyed the section of the CW that joins the C2C. It was a nice change after the boredom of the flat trudge out of Richmond. I was walking alone..not a sole in site for the length of that section. Wind, rain and hail. Loved every minute of it as it suited my mentality.

With regard to the crumbly bits of the cliff edges; I am sure that by now a way has been forced through away from the standard path.

#2926 - 29/10/06 08:22 PM Re: Maps for Cleveland Way ?
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
I walked the CW in 2004 and I didn't have any problems with the coastal section. I do not like heights so looking down the cliffs was NOT an options!! I had the dog attached to my backpack (carrying everything) and my only fear was that she would chase a rabbit that could get under the sheep netting on my right and disappear over the cliff edge. Fortunately, the dog listened to me on those occasions! I had more problems this year on the C to C path around Haweswater(but not with rabbits)!

#2927 - 29/10/06 08:24 PM Re: Maps for Cleveland Way ?
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
P.S. I had the maps with me but used Ian Sampson's guide. It's quite adequate.

#2928 - 30/10/06 06:06 PM Re: Maps for Cleveland Way ?
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Oldun, I just finished the first and last parts of the CW and the east part of the C2C. In Helmsley, I picked up the Footprint map at the TIC (4 pounds) which proved to be a perfect complement to copies of the OS maps. In fact, Footprint was all I needed. I walked the coast section from Staithes to Scarborough and didn't find any problems with the cliff edge although the path was extremely muddy at this time of year as was parts of the C2C.

Rain passed through occasionally, once giving a beautiful rainbow from out in the ocean swooping down into the center of Robin Hood's Bay.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917