The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2888
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35975 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2954 - 29/11/06 05:20 PM Pubs on the Cleveland Way
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
OK Ale swillers.

I need a short list of the nicest ale houses on the CW. Ones that you would say that a visitor to UK must not miss. Ones that you can put your feet up in at the end of the day, good ale, good food..no juke boxes nor flashing one arm bandit lights. Just good company.

#2955 - 29/11/06 08:29 PM Re: Pubs on the Cleveland Way
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
Not a pub,but there is the excellent Lordstones Cafe,which is on the Cleveland Way - ideal for a lunch stop. The Ship Inn in Saltburn is an excellent pub on the sea front,but it has a one armed bandit (I don't know about pubs,but they are a good source of income in clubs),though I am not sure of a juke box. Whitby:there are pubs a plenty.
Nimrod

#2956 - 30/11/06 05:55 AM Re: Pubs on the Cleveland Way
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Where are you stopping, Oldun - then I'll make suggestions!

#2957 - 30/11/06 10:33 AM Re: Pubs on the Cleveland Way
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Hullo Heather. The towns/hamlets I am stopping in/near are the following:

Helmsley
Sutton Bank
Osmotherley
Clay Bank
Gr. Ayton
Saltburn
Staithes
Whitby
RHB
Scarborough
Filey

Looking forward to your suggestions.

#2958 - 30/11/06 12:57 PM Re: Pubs on the Cleveland Way
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Hi Oldun - not sure about Helmsley. Hopefully somebody will tell you. At Sutton Bank there is only one pub - the Hambleton Inn. I managed to get a lift into Sutton under Whitestonecliffe. The Whitestonecliffe Inn there is very good - a lot of buzz and excellent food. I also know the landlord there keeps a good pint. When I was there the Hambleton Inn was shut on Mondays! Even though I had asked them if they would be open and they told me, "Yes"! At Osmotherley, I prefer the The Queen Catherine Hotel for drinking - a good pint and no objections to walking boots. Clay Bank - I personally like the Jet Miners. I was in early doors a couple of years back and found the locals great to chat to. They involved me in their conversations and I was sorry to leave! I can't help you with the pubs on the coast - sorry. I'll leave that to somebody else. I could ask a friend about RHB as he is a great beer drinker and spent a couple of nights there with an old army mate earlier this autumn. I can't imagine that they didn't try out one or two watering holes! Let us know how you get on, after you've finished the walk. Cheers!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917