The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2979 - 04/06/07 07:26 PM Finished it.
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Just completed the CW with no problems. Weather stayed fine, but with gales for a few days on the moors (gusting up to 60mph). Ate too much and drank too much each night. Only contentious bits were the condition of the cliff paths in some places where erosion had brought the cliff edge up to the path edge, and the continuous tramping through dog s……t around the paths after Scarborough. The smell along one path used by the locals was particularly offensive.

The change in attitude towards walkers across the moors and through the costal towns was quite noticeable. Through the moors everyone looked fit and healthy, with cheerful greetings and a stop for a chat. While in the costal towns obese people regarded us as though we were aliens and had just leaped from a flying saucer. The entry into one pub in an old steel working town was like something out of the Wild West films, when the room goes silent with people watching your every move. I felt like going into a gunman’s crouch and drawing a six-gun.

While all the meals provided through the moors towns were always healthy and well cooked, the dishes along the costal towns seemed to be always heaped with portions of fried potatoes, boiled potatoes and mashed potatoes (all piled in together). People along the coast seemed to eat prodigious amounts and the young obese kids always seemed to be clutching a bag of potato crisps or sweets, while their mother shouted at one another to be heard over the screams of kids. Maybe this is an exaggeration, but it is the lasting impression that I have.

The service from Sherpa went without a hitch, even though taxis were used on a couple of occasions.

All in all, a good walk thoroughly enjoyed.

#2980 - 05/06/07 08:55 PM Re: Finished it.
Sharon Offline

Loc: Reading, Berks.
Well done, Oldun!

The CW was my first LDW several years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the moors. I was very disappointed by some of the seedy seaside resorts - Saltburn, Skinningrove (your "old steel working town" no doubt?) and Scarborough (quite possibly the scruffiest town in England) - and walked through them as quickly as possible without catching anyone's eyes. By comparison, other coastal towns such as Staithes and Robin Hood's Bay were quite welcoming and certainly couldn't be considered "seedy".

Thankfully, my abiding memories of this walk are the heather in full bloom across the moors, the Lord Stones Cafe, chips in Whitby and the location of the gliding club at Carlton Bank. What a view!

So glad you enjoyed it.

#2981 - 05/06/07 09:07 PM Re: Finished it.
Oldun Offline

Hi Sharon.

I agree that the attitude in Staithes and RHB was ok. RBH being the end of the big one, people there survive on the walking trade.
Staithes seems to have a bit of a problem with sewage running unprocessed into the stream that passes through the centre of the village. The odour there is quite pronounced at times. It is the only place where I have seen sea-going ducks, as they prefer the open salt water to the "fresh water" coming down the stream. The night we passed through the village were protesting to the borough council about their plight, as the bay had been taken off the "safe-bathing" list.

A pity for such a pretty village. I hope the problem is soon cleared up.

#2982 - 06/06/07 09:30 AM Re: Finished it.
Hengirl Offline

Loc: Norway
I just complete the CW as well and I agree with all said, esp. the dog poop problem, it was really horrible. I don't know what can be done apart from a huge campaign to try and make dog owners aware. I couldn't believe the amount in the middle of paths let alone at the dges in the grass.
I really liked Saltburn as it was relatively 'untouristy'. We stayed two nights and the b and b was the best ever for the whole walk which may have influenced my view of the town!
The coastal path was a little scary in places, esp. with the strong wind between Saltburn and Staithes that we encountered.
I was a little apprehensive about this walk, the wild moors being followed by touristy coast. Apart from the amusement arcades and general grot/dog poo of the bit between Whitby through to Filey it was a beautiful walk from beginning to end. On the walks I've done I would rate it second best. The best was St. Cuthbert's, third the Cumbrian Way and fourth the WHW.
Sherpa 'lost' our bags once and they didn't arrive until 20.30 after ALOT of phone calling, and they were late one time. They redeemed themselves somewhat by collecting an item left behind at one b and b and bringing it safely to us the next day.

#2983 - 06/06/07 12:16 PM Re: Finished it.
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Hengirl. I thought the dog crap was insignificant compared to that from sheep and cattle.

#2984 - 06/06/07 03:12 PM Re: Finished it.
Oldun Offline

LL. I think that one accepts sheep and cattle droppings because these animals are not meat eaters and are part of the countryside. Whereas dogs and humans are meat eaters and their droppings give off an unpleasant odour. Sheep and cattle droppings come easily off the shoes, whereas dog and human droppings stick like s....t to a blanket, and make me want to throw up when trying to clean both from my boots. In my first post I omitted to mention that I dropped right in both in a most unexpected place along the costal route. Dogs drop their lot where their owners let them, humans should know better.

#2985 - 07/06/07 11:10 AM Re: Finished it.
Hengirl Offline

Loc: Norway
Agreed Oldun, the smell is horrible and it's also a health threat unlike sheep, cow and horse etc. We managed to avoid stepping in it by repeated shouts to each other of 'POO!' as we walked along. I'm going to try and contact the Yorkshire Tourist Board, if enough people write in perhaps it'll have an effect.

#2986 - 07/06/07 01:00 PM Re: Finished it.
Lounge Lizard Offline

Oldum. Worse than dog crap, much of which is now collected by their owners, is cat shit, which always ends up in a well tended garden like mine not in the garden of the cat's owners - I'm often tempted to return it through the cat owner's letterbox.

#2987 - 07/06/07 01:57 PM Re: Finished it.
Oldun Offline

LL. I have a visit every night from a mysterious Tom cat that leaves a trail of revolting smelling stuff in a diagonal line across my lawn.

I have sat up several nights with a loaded air gun waiting for him, but must go to sleep at the wrong time.

I have tried all forms of cat repellant but nothing works, and even put down crushed cocoa shells (which work for few days), but nothing seems to put this critter off.

Now that the summer has come my garden stinks.

With regard to writing to the Yorkshire Tourist Board. I think this is a good idea, as the CW from Scarborough onwards is fast going into decline owing to the amount of new housing estates being built in the region: not to mention the "tour" around the golf course. I believe National Trails should have some priority, as they are part of our National Heritage. Actually the whole of the cliff path from Saltburn down needs urgent review.

#2988 - 07/06/07 04:52 PM Re: Finished it.
Lounge Lizard Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldun:
LL.

With regard to writing to the Yorkshire Tourist Board. I think this is a good idea, as the CW from Scarborough onwards is fast going into decline owing to the amount of new housing estates being built in the region: not to mention the "tour" around the golf course. I believe National Trails should have some priority, as they are part of our National Heritage. Actually the whole of the cliff path from Saltburn down needs urgent review.

It is often a good idea for new housing to be built on golf courses. Mine is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917