The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2883
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3450 Topics
35932 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2996 - 30/09/03 01:34 PM HELP!
Anonymous
Unregistered

HI! I am one of a group of four who want to do the walk in about may next year. Is there any advice anyone would like to share with us??
I was also wondering approx how long should we take to do this walk? Someone told me to aim for 15 miles a day, is this ok?
And whats the chances of getting lost? because maybe we need to brush up on our map reading skills!!
cheers.

#2997 - 30/09/03 06:43 PM Re: HELP!
Sharon Offline

Loc: Reading, Berks.
Hi!

I did this walk in 12 days in July 2002 - this was at quite a lesiurely pace although some days are more arduous than others and I ended up not getting to the B&B until almost 8 pm some evenings!

My advice includes getting the National Trail Guide books (north and south) by Ernie and Kathy Kay and Mark Richards, being able to use a compass (became slightly disoriented .... OK, lost! .....for a mile or so at one point around Chirk but otherwise no problems) - oh, and DON'T stay at the Lion Hotel in Llanymynech (unless it's been rased to the ground and rebuilt since - the worst accommodation EVER!). Build in time in your schedule to visit some bookshops in Hay-on-Wye (fascinating place) - Kington and Knighton are also pretty little places for a wander if you have any energy left at the end of the day.

Good luck - it's an enjoyable walk.

#2998 - 30/09/03 07:39 PM Re: HELP!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Compared to navigating on the C2C, it is almost impossible to get lost.
Agree emphatically about the Lions Inn.
Don't they have health regulations about that type of place in England?

#2999 - 30/09/03 08:36 PM Re: HELP!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The best advice i can give you is look at the possibility of doing some other walk.

#3000 - 30/09/03 09:35 PM Re: HELP!
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Whats wrong with the Lion Hotel?It sounds terrible,like something out of Hitchcock.

#3001 - 30/09/03 10:37 PM Re: HELP!
Anonymous
Unregistered

That explains why I was worried about the shower aside from the mold and bugs!

#3002 - 02/10/03 08:51 PM Re: HELP!
Sharon Offline

Loc: Reading, Berks.
The Lion Hotel - the filthiest, most dilapidated, cigarette-smoke-stinking hole I've ever had the displeasure of visiting. Even after a long walk on a hot day, I was reluctant to have a bath in case I got MORE dirty in it! And breakfast in the morning was proffered by the landlady with a fag in the corner of her mouth and a blue smog around her - we could only stomach Cornflakes before running away from the place never to return!

#3003 - 03/10/03 02:12 AM Re: HELP!
Anonymous
Unregistered

My husband and I completed the ODP on Sept. 17,2000 taking about 12 days. We decided to split a couple of days of the walk. Our first was from Pandy to Hay-On-Wye. We came down off the Hatterall Ridge and stayed at Llanthony Priory (a 12th. century abbey/B&B). If we did this walk over again, we would make sure that we had food for the day and do it all in one stretch.

While the climb up at the beginning of the day is a challenge, once up on top the walk is enjoyable and the views spectacular! Because we split the day, this meant that we had to climb back up the next day. The weather was not as nice as the previous day, lots of high winds, rain and generally rotten weather. Of course the day we came down of the ridge was a sunny, warm, beautiful day...who knew!

Our second stop was in Knighton, simply because this was supposed to be our holiday and we also wanted to do some laundry. (I'm sure it's psychological but clean clothes seem to be lighter than dirty clothes!!)

We stayed at many wonderful B&B's along the way, some we found ourselves and others were from recommendations from this bulletin board.

Overall, we had a fantastic time on the ODP,and look forward to doing more long distance walks in the future.

This site was a big help to us in planning our walk as we are from Canada and the logistics sometimes make it a bit difficult in organizing things but the comments & suggestions people wrote were very useful.

Have a great walk!!

#3004 - 03/10/03 08:56 PM Re: HELP!
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
I thought places like the Lion Hotel went out in the 1950's.It sounds utterly revolting.Sharon,how could you eat cornflakes in that place.

#3005 - 12/12/03 06:00 PM Re: HELP!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi

Walked ODP from S to N in 10 days this Autumn so about 18 miles a day. I found this quite strenuous on some days mostly due to my pack and the hundreds and hundreds of stiles. I mixed camping on sites and free camping so no great pressure to 'arrive' at end of day. Your plan of around 15 miles sounds ok but watch the terrain, some days are tougher than others. I think the guide book mentioned splits the path into 12 days which look pretty even and so as good a plan as any.

As far as getting lost is concerned you need no more than the guide book and a compass. The path is pretty well acorn marked but I did lose it once or twice through lack of concentration. Certainly no requirement for any advanced map reading skills.

It is an enjoyable and varied walk. Go for it and don't forget to pick up your pebble to throw in the sea at the other end!

#3006 - 07/05/06 01:49 PM Re: HELP!
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
"The Lion ... And breakfast in the morning was proffered by the landlady with a fag in the corner of her mouth and a blue smog around her - we could only stomach Cornflakes before running away" ( 2 Oct 2003) - a shrewd businesswamoan, methinks, cutting down expenditure on sausage, eggs and bacon boosts profits, this is 'portion control' taken to extremes. Let's hope the idea doesn't catch on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917