The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2887
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35973 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#304 - 19/05/06 01:45 PM New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Arizona Frani Offline

Loc: Yuma, AZ., USA
We're new members who live in Arizona, USA. We are working on plans to hike the C2C in April/May 2007. Just found this forum a few days ago and have read just about every message on the C2C. Your suggestions have been so useful. I've been reading over the Stedman and Hannon books that we purchased from Amazon a few months ago. Hoping to borrow the maps from a friend who completed the trail several years ago. I hiked two 175 miles stretches of the GR5 in France/Belgium/Luxembourg/Holland several years ago with several hiking friends from the U.S. We carried our own packs and stayed in B&B's/hostels. That experience taught me that on this trip we should use one of the Sherpa services for hauling bags. Originally was going to have same service reserve rooms but this forum has been quite helpful and we're now planning to do it ourselves. The GR5 was done with several retired folks and we took a rest day after each 3 days of hiking. Seemed to work well for our old joints but most of what I've read so far indicates that most people hike it without layover days. We need some help with rain gear. We live in a desert area that gets 3 inches of rain/year. We have no idea what rain gear really works, is lightweight, and breathes. Suggestions on what's worked for you would be appreciated.

Our plan is to fly into Manchester, train to St.Bees and then proceed from there. We haven't quite figured out the ending of our trip. Since we'll already be out of the U.S. we thought this would be a great time to visit the WWII battlefield sites on the coast of France. We're desperately trying to find some reasonably priced tours; anyone know of any? Look forward to more of your posts.

#305 - 19/05/06 02:37 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Onslow2 Offline

Get a set of Goretex rain pants and jacket with hood. Also get a fleece. And some "wicking" clothes

A non Gortex windcheater/anorak is guaranteed to make you sweat if you are walking no matter what the temperature is.

When it gets cold, just put the fleece underneath the jacket and you should feel comfortable for the rest of your walk.

More importantly, your best bet is to find a hiking shop in your city and go there for advice. They will know the kind of gear to recommend.

#306 - 22/05/06 11:35 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
bucketman Offline

Loc: runcorn uk
Hi Arizona
if this year is anything to go by you are going to get wet even with the best water proofs so get some fast drying base layers
Also check this for passed years weather
good look
http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/

#307 - 22/05/06 11:49 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Arizona,

I started a thread on the general chat forum in relation to waterproof trousers and a received some great advice from another Arizona citizen 'Desertrat who referred me to www.rei.com and also Cabela. I must say the lightweight goretex waterprrofs from REI look great and I don't think you can go far wrong - after all REI are on your doorstep. Good luck.

#308 - 22/05/06 12:05 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
MIKE M Offline

Hi Arizona,
have a look at this site, www.leger.co.uk/battlefields/index.aspx
I think it should help.
MIKE

#309 - 22/05/06 03:51 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
desertrat Offline

Loc: Lake Havasu City, AZ USA
Frani...
Fellow Arizona hiker. If you live near Phoenix there are two REI stores in the area. One in Tempe and one in Paradise Valley. You have some time so you can catch their sales for rain gear etc. High quality and variety in brands. Good Luck.

#310 - 23/05/06 10:00 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
leki rulz Offline

Loc: Australia
I reckon there is money to be made in hiring out Goretex gear in St Bees and/or RHB.

All our group had Goretex gear for our C2C walk, or other laminate look-alikes. (There is little difference between any of them in my experience.)

We also carried super-lightweight layers. In wicking fabrics that draws the moisture from your skin, exposes it to the air to be evaporated better.

Having said that the odd days (two) that we needed that sort of gear the rain was so dense, so constant, and so solid that the goretex did not get a chance to 'breathe' so some of our group thought they were saturated, dying of hypothermia and goretex failure. They weren't. [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img] It is just the sensation of a layer of trapped cold that feels a bit like wet slime against your skin in those conditions.

In this hot dry climate we so rarely need anything like those protection layers while walking in Australia so those of our party who borrowed that sort of gear for the C2C were probably smarter, in hindsight, than those who bought the stuff, and paid a small fortune for stuff they will likely drag out rarely, if ever again.

Another thing: laminates like 'goretex' (etc) don't last forever. The laminate often starts 'disintegrating' after five or six years, even if not used, so if you're not going to get your money out of them consider borrowing the weather proof gear.

Or renting it.

[img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Seems sensible from this side of the walk, anyway.

#311 - 23/05/06 12:37 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Frani, Coming from somewhere with less rain in a year than Cumbria can get in a day, aren't you tempted to forego all the waterproofing gear and make the most of the Great British rain ?

#312 - 23/05/06 08:47 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Arizona Frani Offline

Loc: Yuma, AZ., USA
What a great forum! You're giving me some very helpful information which I really appreciate. It's funny about the rain...I grew up in an area that received 65 inches of rain per year and an umbrella/raincoat was part of my daily uniform during most of the year. Desert living changed all that. If it rains in the desert we stay on the porch and watch the rain but don't hike it it. This winter the area in which I live received a total of .42 inches of rain for seven months and that all occurred in one day. I don't think I'm going to let some raindrops stop me from hiking. Now I've seen some people hike with umbrellas but that's awkward if you're also trying to use hiking poles. I've been doing some research on the best rain gear and watching some bidding on Ebay hoping to get some new gear at a good price. Gore-tex is great but we've both had some that just didn't do the job. That rain gear that is used on commercial sea vessels works well but doesn't breathe and weighs a ton. So if anyone has knowledge of a brand/model that works really well, let me know. With the internet we can order from anywhere. Frani

#313 - 23/05/06 09:47 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
Coast to Coast dinghy, anyone? [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/eek.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917