The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2883
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3450 Topics
35932 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#314 - 23/05/06 10:11 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you not heard, it never rains in England in April/May.

Infact we are on draught alert.

#315 - 23/05/06 10:15 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
Draught alert?

Mine's a pint of Black Sheep. [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers!!

[This message has been edited by Kite21 (edited 23 May 2006).]

#316 - 24/05/06 12:03 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Arizona Frani Offline

Loc: Yuma, AZ., USA
You guys are a hoot. One of the bonuses of this hike has to be partaking English beers/ales. The GR5 hike in France/Switzerland was definitely an education in French red wines!!!! Frani

#317 - 24/05/06 07:22 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
I did a lovely 90 mile linear walk thru' Rioja in Spain last year. What a beautiful part of the world.

Oh and I had to sample the local produce. It'd have been rude not to. [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

#318 - 25/05/06 04:08 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
sandlapper Offline

Loc: Southern Outer Banks,USA
I used a Gortex outer layer and a polypropelene inner layer (underwear)This worked reasonably well as the inner layer wicks and dries very fast. A fleece is also a good idea for warmth. I also carried an umbrella as part of the C2C is flat and you can use the umbrella very well on these. The bright color of the umbrella also made me visible to cars, farm machines, other walkers. The umbrella keeps rain out of your face much better that a cap/hat...important if you wear glasses. Make sure it is wind resistant. Old newspapers stuffed into wet boots helps with the drying process. Don't forget something to cover your pack. You can check out a company called Campmor that has very good prices and closeouts on some high end gear. I just completed the Milford track in New Zealand and saw someone wearing a clear plastic poncho, sort of like a drycleaning bag. This also seemed to work well and probably was very inexpensive. Good Luck.

#319 - 25/05/06 05:47 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
desertrat Offline

Loc: Lake Havasu City, AZ USA
Happy to see there is someone else that uses an umbrella on the trail. A friend hikes all over the world and convinced me to take an umbrella. Gore Tex works great but constant rain will seep in and he says the umbrella prevents most of that. I have the umbrella setting on the table next to my suitcase but still can't decide. It must look pretty funny. He and his hiking friends swear by it. Hmmmmm I leave Monday from the US so I'd better get with it.

#320 - 25/05/06 01:11 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Arizona Frani Offline

Loc: Yuma, AZ., USA
DesertRat, enjoy the hike, we'll be anxiously awaiting your trip report and the outcome of your umbrella decision. I don't think the bumpershoot is a bad idea; after all if you were city walking in the rain, you'd be using an umbrella. Have a great time. Frani

#321 - 25/05/06 04:04 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Gulf Islanders Offline

Loc: Gabriola Island,BC,Canada
Hi Arizona Frani

We are about to depart on the C2C next week and had roughly the same questions on rain wear. We get considerable rain here on the west coast of Canada and found the rainwear we already owned heavy but effective for short strolls.

We found that there are now lots of alternative breathable waterproof alternatives to Gore Tex (beware of "water resistant" materials. Most are very light and easily packable.

My wife found that Mountain Hard Wear, a US make, offers beautiful, practical. mid-priced very light jackets.

I, on the other hand, had more trouble since I am 6'5" (196 cm's for all you metric freaks). Neither REI ( a US co-op) or Mountain Co-Op (Canadian Equivalent) currently carry tall sized light waterproof jackets. I finally found a wonderful light weight jacket made by Keela, a Scottish mfg. (I am being fair to both sides of the pond). While they don't sell Tall sizes, their XXL covers sleeves perfectly.

We have tried them on for all day hikes in the wet and both have worked perfectly. I can't agree more that the layer(s) underneath must be breathable or you will not have a pleasant walk.

We will let you know if we survived in late June.

#322 - 26/05/06 09:11 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
leki rulz Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by sandlapper:

The umbrella keeps rain out of your face much better that a cap/hat...important if you wear glasses. Make sure it is wind resistant.

I used a 50c bill cap on my head/ under my goretex hood. 'Twas brilliant for keeping the rain/sun/weather off my face -- and I don't need glasses or it would have been good for that, too. ;

Unfortunately, part way through I left it in a pub after sampling the local brew. I subsequently arrived in RHB very brown in the face.

You DO need to remember to take headgear.

I think the climate in England is changing. It is much hotter these days than it used to be. And walking you feel much much hotter, than if you are not.

Quote:

I just completed the Milford track in New Zealand and saw someone wearing a clear plastic poncho, sort of like a drycleaning bag. This also seemed to work well and probably was very inexpensive.

$1.00 at the 'dollar' shops in Australia. I had one enroute on the C2C, and didn't use it once. When it rained it rained solidly and wearing that would've been too silly as it was a poncho-style and would've been useless as the sides were clipped and would have let in the rain.

When it didn't rain I had something other than that to sit on.

Still, they are cheap, light and probably very useful to sit on, or wear in a light shower, so don't discount packing one as they weigh nothing.

[This message has been edited by leki rulz (edited 26 May 2006).]

#323 - 26/05/06 04:43 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Hi, Definatly get a Goretex (Single layer) jacket and overtrousers. You will only need the trousers in heavy rain. The jacket for cooler moments and rain. Wear a wickable layer underneath as a base layer. If wearing the jacket only wear one wickable top underneath as you will soon heat up once walking and two layers will get you too hot and sweaty. If the day is wet but warm the single base layer will get wet with sweat anyway, but keep it on untill all the climbing is done. After this you could get quite cold as you will not pumping out the same energy. If this happens and you still have a fair bit left to walk. Stop take off that wet top and replace with a dry one and feel the instant benefit, then jacket back on, and off you go. If its dry tommorrow, hang the wet, even if smelly wet top off the back of your sac to dry.
Dave.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917