The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#324 - 05/07/06 02:43 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
boilthebeally Offline

Loc: Manjimup, Western Australia
Hi to everyone.
Just registered with the forum - great site!

I received a parcel today from friends in Cumbria. It was Wainwrights c2c walk and part 1&2 map/guide of the same.

As I am coming to the UK in May/June 2007 and intend walking the c2c I thought I had better start my investigations.

with regards to the discussion above about wet weather gear, I use an Epic cagoulle in light rain. As someone suggested when it is really raining, breathable fabrics forgets how to breath and it becomes a sauna underneath.
For real rain I use my silicon nylon poncho
/tarp. The advantages are:- Cheap and light;
Air flow because of the lose fit; Covers my pack.

I used this system when walking the Bibbulmun track in West Oz in May 2004 quite successfully, but will make some silnylon gaiters or chaps to keep my lower legs/boots dry.
Thanks for the info already gleaned from this forum

#325 - 05/07/06 03:04 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
kevanliz Offline

Loc: London
Boilthebeally

A party of Dutch walkers were using poncho style rain wear until they invented the new sport of poncho gliding on the way up Kidsty Pike!

It has been said many times but you never know what weather you are going to encounter, you cannot even trust forecasts as the weather changes dramatically. The week before we set off everyone was getting fried whilst we rarely had many totally dry days.

Having encountered a similiar experience on the way to Sunbiggin Tarn i can recommend the following, you will have to recreate it in laboratory conditions though.

Put all of your wet gear on and ask a friend to throw a bucket of cold iced water at you, then another and another. It helps if you are not expecting the second and third bucket. If you are still dry after that your gear should be OK.

#326 - 05/07/06 05:27 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Ash Offline

Loc: Selby
Had we been wearing Ponchos going up Kidsty Pike we would have joined your Dutch colleagues. It was very wet and very windy. The other suggestions on the thread seem better than ponchos for the weather which is very unpredictable

#327 - 05/07/06 08:20 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
Have faith Arizona Frani - it will be glorious sunshine from St Bees to Robin Hood's Bay. "Accentuate the positive,eliminate the negative." [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]wink.
Nimrod

#328 - 06/07/06 02:53 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
I found a poncho completely useless. There's a multitude of research that clothing manufactures do to make the optimum gear and I'm sure none of this results in ponchos. No Gortex clothing is 100% rain proof, but good gortex clothing comes close enough. I have tried all kinds of substitites in my quest for cheap lightweight gear and found none. Go expensive if you want to keep reasonably dry in awful conditions.(I repeat, awful.)You get what you pay for. Failing that, do what they used to do back in the '20's (so I'm told) ...take off as many clothes as you can, store them in a knapsack to keep dry and just let the rest of you get wet.

#329 - 24/08/06 02:26 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get Paramo gear, it's the best stuff around. Beats Gore-Tex anyday.

#330 - 24/08/06 03:56 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally posted by Smarty Marty:
Get Paramo gear, it's the best stuff around. Beats Gore-Tex anyday.

I concur. Paramo is the best thing since sliced bread. I have walked the WHW on the wettest day in history, but still stayed dry inside. Also I have been mountain walking in minus 16C static (not counting wind chill) and still stayed warm. However, at those temperatures I put on a Patagonia fleece that has large gussets in the chest and arms to let the body heat out. The Paramo looks as though it is going to fall to pieces with so many vents in it, but it does the job in harsh conditions.

#331 - 24/08/06 07:06 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Any 'rain gear' gets you hot and sweaty. Best not to bother with it and just dry yourself at the end of the day.

#332 - 24/08/06 07:25 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Arizona Frani Offline

Loc: Yuma, AZ., USA
After a brief search I could only find Peramo in UK shops and websites. I'm going to keep looking because I'm intrigued. Hey Lizard, your advice keeps improving!!?? Not using raingear works well in Arizona where the temperatures can be around 90-100 degrees F. but I'm not so sure about England.

#333 - 25/08/06 02:28 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
shmidds Offline

Loc: Ivyland, PA USA
Arizona - My wife and I are from philly, pa. We completed the C2C in July. Our choice of raingear was frogg toggs. They worked perfectly, are lightweight, and reasonably priced. I've worn them on motorcycle trips and have stayed completely dry. We did get a few strange looks though.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917