The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2883
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3450 Topics
35932 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#334 - 25/08/06 03:08 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Here's my tuppence worth.

Choice of rainwear is dependent on whether it is windy as well.

Ponchos are great when it is not windy, as are umbrellas, and you get plenty of ventilation.

For windy conditions you can't beat a proper jacket. Most Australians walk in shorts and it doesn't really matter if legs get wet so we tend to use quite long jackets which will just cover the shorts. If it is cold we add a set of thermal (polyproplyne) long johns under the shorts. The outcome is reasonable ventilation and no constriction around the knees. The downside is that your boots fill up. In warmer conditions walking in a pair of bathers is great (I won't suggest walking in the nude [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img] after the past furore). Everything dry in the pack.

For those of you commenting on the heat this summer an umbrella/parasol is great to walk with. Stroll along under shade.

#335 - 25/08/06 05:47 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
"Most Australians walk in shorts and it doesn't really matter if legs get wet", yes, but why are legs different from the rest of the body and why not just walk in boots and swimming trunks or bikini if it's not the winter ?

#336 - 26/08/06 11:21 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Regarding walking in bathers. As my body looks like a peeled potatoe stuck on top of two matchsticks I think that people would object if I walked in less than full gear.

#337 - 14/10/06 05:30 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
desertrat Offline

Loc: Lake Havasu City, AZ USA
Arizona Frani
Being from Arizona (Havasu) I agree about hiking in the shorts, however, as stated here our temps are different. I finished the C2C in June and had fantastic weather except for one half day and then I was looking for a snorkel! I was wearing Gortex gear top and bottom and it rained so hard that I was soaked clear through. Wear good poly thermals, fleece, and rain gear and plan on getting wet. Enjoy!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917