The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2887
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35973 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#304 - 19/05/06 01:45 PM New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Arizona Frani Offline

Loc: Yuma, AZ., USA
We're new members who live in Arizona, USA. We are working on plans to hike the C2C in April/May 2007. Just found this forum a few days ago and have read just about every message on the C2C. Your suggestions have been so useful. I've been reading over the Stedman and Hannon books that we purchased from Amazon a few months ago. Hoping to borrow the maps from a friend who completed the trail several years ago. I hiked two 175 miles stretches of the GR5 in France/Belgium/Luxembourg/Holland several years ago with several hiking friends from the U.S. We carried our own packs and stayed in B&B's/hostels. That experience taught me that on this trip we should use one of the Sherpa services for hauling bags. Originally was going to have same service reserve rooms but this forum has been quite helpful and we're now planning to do it ourselves. The GR5 was done with several retired folks and we took a rest day after each 3 days of hiking. Seemed to work well for our old joints but most of what I've read so far indicates that most people hike it without layover days. We need some help with rain gear. We live in a desert area that gets 3 inches of rain/year. We have no idea what rain gear really works, is lightweight, and breathes. Suggestions on what's worked for you would be appreciated.

Our plan is to fly into Manchester, train to St.Bees and then proceed from there. We haven't quite figured out the ending of our trip. Since we'll already be out of the U.S. we thought this would be a great time to visit the WWII battlefield sites on the coast of France. We're desperately trying to find some reasonably priced tours; anyone know of any? Look forward to more of your posts.

#305 - 19/05/06 02:37 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Onslow2 Offline

Get a set of Goretex rain pants and jacket with hood. Also get a fleece. And some "wicking" clothes

A non Gortex windcheater/anorak is guaranteed to make you sweat if you are walking no matter what the temperature is.

When it gets cold, just put the fleece underneath the jacket and you should feel comfortable for the rest of your walk.

More importantly, your best bet is to find a hiking shop in your city and go there for advice. They will know the kind of gear to recommend.

#306 - 22/05/06 11:35 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
bucketman Offline

Loc: runcorn uk
Hi Arizona
if this year is anything to go by you are going to get wet even with the best water proofs so get some fast drying base layers
Also check this for passed years weather
good look
http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/

#307 - 22/05/06 11:49 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Arizona,

I started a thread on the general chat forum in relation to waterproof trousers and a received some great advice from another Arizona citizen 'Desertrat who referred me to www.rei.com and also Cabela. I must say the lightweight goretex waterprrofs from REI look great and I don't think you can go far wrong - after all REI are on your doorstep. Good luck.

#308 - 22/05/06 12:05 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
MIKE M Offline

Hi Arizona,
have a look at this site, www.leger.co.uk/battlefields/index.aspx
I think it should help.
MIKE

#309 - 22/05/06 03:51 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
desertrat Offline

Loc: Lake Havasu City, AZ USA
Frani...
Fellow Arizona hiker. If you live near Phoenix there are two REI stores in the area. One in Tempe and one in Paradise Valley. You have some time so you can catch their sales for rain gear etc. High quality and variety in brands. Good Luck.

#310 - 23/05/06 10:00 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
leki rulz Offline

Loc: Australia
I reckon there is money to be made in hiring out Goretex gear in St Bees and/or RHB.

All our group had Goretex gear for our C2C walk, or other laminate look-alikes. (There is little difference between any of them in my experience.)

We also carried super-lightweight layers. In wicking fabrics that draws the moisture from your skin, exposes it to the air to be evaporated better.

Having said that the odd days (two) that we needed that sort of gear the rain was so dense, so constant, and so solid that the goretex did not get a chance to 'breathe' so some of our group thought they were saturated, dying of hypothermia and goretex failure. They weren't. [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img] It is just the sensation of a layer of trapped cold that feels a bit like wet slime against your skin in those conditions.

In this hot dry climate we so rarely need anything like those protection layers while walking in Australia so those of our party who borrowed that sort of gear for the C2C were probably smarter, in hindsight, than those who bought the stuff, and paid a small fortune for stuff they will likely drag out rarely, if ever again.

Another thing: laminates like 'goretex' (etc) don't last forever. The laminate often starts 'disintegrating' after five or six years, even if not used, so if you're not going to get your money out of them consider borrowing the weather proof gear.

Or renting it.

[img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Seems sensible from this side of the walk, anyway.

#311 - 23/05/06 12:37 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Frani, Coming from somewhere with less rain in a year than Cumbria can get in a day, aren't you tempted to forego all the waterproofing gear and make the most of the Great British rain ?

#312 - 23/05/06 08:47 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Arizona Frani Offline

What a great forum! You're giving me some very helpful information which I really appreciate. It's funny about the rain...I grew up in an area that received 65 inches of rain per year and an umbrella/raincoat was part of my daily uniform during most of the year. Desert living changed all that. If it rains in the desert we stay on the porch and watch the rain but don't hike it it. This winter the area in which I live received a total of .42 inches of rain for seven months and that all occurred in one day. I don't think I'm going to let some raindrops stop me from hiking. Now I've seen some people hike with umbrellas but that's awkward if you're also trying to use hiking poles. I've been doing some research on the best rain gear and watching some bidding on Ebay hoping to get some new gear at a good price. Gore-tex is great but we've both had some that just didn't do the job. That rain gear that is used on commercial sea vessels works well but doesn't breathe and weighs a ton. So if anyone has knowledge of a brand/model that works really well, let me know. With the internet we can order from anywhere. Frani

#313 - 23/05/06 09:47 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
Coast to Coast dinghy, anyone? [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/eek.gif[/img]

#314 - 23/05/06 10:11 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you not heard, it never rains in England in April/May.

Infact we are on draught alert.

#315 - 23/05/06 10:15 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Kite21 Offline

Draught alert?

Mine's a pint of Black Sheep. [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers!!

[This message has been edited by Kite21 (edited 23 May 2006).]

#316 - 24/05/06 12:03 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Arizona Frani Offline

You guys are a hoot. One of the bonuses of this hike has to be partaking English beers/ales. The GR5 hike in France/Switzerland was definitely an education in French red wines!!!! Frani

#317 - 24/05/06 07:22 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Kite21 Offline

I did a lovely 90 mile linear walk thru' Rioja in Spain last year. What a beautiful part of the world.

Oh and I had to sample the local produce. It'd have been rude not to. [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

#318 - 25/05/06 04:08 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
sandlapper Offline

Loc: Southern Outer Banks,USA
I used a Gortex outer layer and a polypropelene inner layer (underwear)This worked reasonably well as the inner layer wicks and dries very fast. A fleece is also a good idea for warmth. I also carried an umbrella as part of the C2C is flat and you can use the umbrella very well on these. The bright color of the umbrella also made me visible to cars, farm machines, other walkers. The umbrella keeps rain out of your face much better that a cap/hat...important if you wear glasses. Make sure it is wind resistant. Old newspapers stuffed into wet boots helps with the drying process. Don't forget something to cover your pack. You can check out a company called Campmor that has very good prices and closeouts on some high end gear. I just completed the Milford track in New Zealand and saw someone wearing a clear plastic poncho, sort of like a drycleaning bag. This also seemed to work well and probably was very inexpensive. Good Luck.

#319 - 25/05/06 05:47 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
desertrat Offline

Happy to see there is someone else that uses an umbrella on the trail. A friend hikes all over the world and convinced me to take an umbrella. Gore Tex works great but constant rain will seep in and he says the umbrella prevents most of that. I have the umbrella setting on the table next to my suitcase but still can't decide. It must look pretty funny. He and his hiking friends swear by it. Hmmmmm I leave Monday from the US so I'd better get with it.

#320 - 25/05/06 01:11 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Arizona Frani Offline

DesertRat, enjoy the hike, we'll be anxiously awaiting your trip report and the outcome of your umbrella decision. I don't think the bumpershoot is a bad idea; after all if you were city walking in the rain, you'd be using an umbrella. Have a great time. Frani

#321 - 25/05/06 04:04 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Gulf Islanders Offline

Loc: Gabriola Island,BC,Canada
Hi Arizona Frani

We are about to depart on the C2C next week and had roughly the same questions on rain wear. We get considerable rain here on the west coast of Canada and found the rainwear we already owned heavy but effective for short strolls.

We found that there are now lots of alternative breathable waterproof alternatives to Gore Tex (beware of "water resistant" materials. Most are very light and easily packable.

My wife found that Mountain Hard Wear, a US make, offers beautiful, practical. mid-priced very light jackets.

I, on the other hand, had more trouble since I am 6'5" (196 cm's for all you metric freaks). Neither REI ( a US co-op) or Mountain Co-Op (Canadian Equivalent) currently carry tall sized light waterproof jackets. I finally found a wonderful light weight jacket made by Keela, a Scottish mfg. (I am being fair to both sides of the pond). While they don't sell Tall sizes, their XXL covers sleeves perfectly.

We have tried them on for all day hikes in the wet and both have worked perfectly. I can't agree more that the layer(s) underneath must be breathable or you will not have a pleasant walk.

We will let you know if we survived in late June.

#322 - 26/05/06 09:11 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
leki rulz Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by sandlapper:

The umbrella keeps rain out of your face much better that a cap/hat...important if you wear glasses. Make sure it is wind resistant.

I used a 50c bill cap on my head/ under my goretex hood. 'Twas brilliant for keeping the rain/sun/weather off my face -- and I don't need glasses or it would have been good for that, too. ;

Unfortunately, part way through I left it in a pub after sampling the local brew. I subsequently arrived in RHB very brown in the face.

You DO need to remember to take headgear.

I think the climate in England is changing. It is much hotter these days than it used to be. And walking you feel much much hotter, than if you are not.

Quote:

I just completed the Milford track in New Zealand and saw someone wearing a clear plastic poncho, sort of like a drycleaning bag. This also seemed to work well and probably was very inexpensive.

$1.00 at the 'dollar' shops in Australia. I had one enroute on the C2C, and didn't use it once. When it rained it rained solidly and wearing that would've been too silly as it was a poncho-style and would've been useless as the sides were clipped and would have let in the rain.

When it didn't rain I had something other than that to sit on.

Still, they are cheap, light and probably very useful to sit on, or wear in a light shower, so don't discount packing one as they weigh nothing.

[This message has been edited by leki rulz (edited 26 May 2006).]

#323 - 26/05/06 04:43 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Hi, Definatly get a Goretex (Single layer) jacket and overtrousers. You will only need the trousers in heavy rain. The jacket for cooler moments and rain. Wear a wickable layer underneath as a base layer. If wearing the jacket only wear one wickable top underneath as you will soon heat up once walking and two layers will get you too hot and sweaty. If the day is wet but warm the single base layer will get wet with sweat anyway, but keep it on untill all the climbing is done. After this you could get quite cold as you will not pumping out the same energy. If this happens and you still have a fair bit left to walk. Stop take off that wet top and replace with a dry one and feel the instant benefit, then jacket back on, and off you go. If its dry tommorrow, hang the wet, even if smelly wet top off the back of your sac to dry.
Dave.

#324 - 05/07/06 02:43 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
boilthebeally Offline

Loc: Manjimup, Western Australia
Hi to everyone.
Just registered with the forum - great site!

I received a parcel today from friends in Cumbria. It was Wainwrights c2c walk and part 1&2 map/guide of the same.

As I am coming to the UK in May/June 2007 and intend walking the c2c I thought I had better start my investigations.

with regards to the discussion above about wet weather gear, I use an Epic cagoulle in light rain. As someone suggested when it is really raining, breathable fabrics forgets how to breath and it becomes a sauna underneath.
For real rain I use my silicon nylon poncho
/tarp. The advantages are:- Cheap and light;
Air flow because of the lose fit; Covers my pack.

I used this system when walking the Bibbulmun track in West Oz in May 2004 quite successfully, but will make some silnylon gaiters or chaps to keep my lower legs/boots dry.
Thanks for the info already gleaned from this forum

#325 - 05/07/06 03:04 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
kevanliz Offline

Loc: London
Boilthebeally

A party of Dutch walkers were using poncho style rain wear until they invented the new sport of poncho gliding on the way up Kidsty Pike!

It has been said many times but you never know what weather you are going to encounter, you cannot even trust forecasts as the weather changes dramatically. The week before we set off everyone was getting fried whilst we rarely had many totally dry days.

Having encountered a similiar experience on the way to Sunbiggin Tarn i can recommend the following, you will have to recreate it in laboratory conditions though.

Put all of your wet gear on and ask a friend to throw a bucket of cold iced water at you, then another and another. It helps if you are not expecting the second and third bucket. If you are still dry after that your gear should be OK.

#326 - 05/07/06 05:27 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Ash Offline

Loc: Selby
Had we been wearing Ponchos going up Kidsty Pike we would have joined your Dutch colleagues. It was very wet and very windy. The other suggestions on the thread seem better than ponchos for the weather which is very unpredictable

#327 - 05/07/06 08:20 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
Have faith Arizona Frani - it will be glorious sunshine from St Bees to Robin Hood's Bay. "Accentuate the positive,eliminate the negative." [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]wink.
Nimrod

#328 - 06/07/06 02:53 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
I found a poncho completely useless. There's a multitude of research that clothing manufactures do to make the optimum gear and I'm sure none of this results in ponchos. No Gortex clothing is 100% rain proof, but good gortex clothing comes close enough. I have tried all kinds of substitites in my quest for cheap lightweight gear and found none. Go expensive if you want to keep reasonably dry in awful conditions.(I repeat, awful.)You get what you pay for. Failing that, do what they used to do back in the '20's (so I'm told) ...take off as many clothes as you can, store them in a knapsack to keep dry and just let the rest of you get wet.

#329 - 24/08/06 02:26 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get Paramo gear, it's the best stuff around. Beats Gore-Tex anyday.

#330 - 24/08/06 03:56 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally posted by Smarty Marty:
Get Paramo gear, it's the best stuff around. Beats Gore-Tex anyday.

I concur. Paramo is the best thing since sliced bread. I have walked the WHW on the wettest day in history, but still stayed dry inside. Also I have been mountain walking in minus 16C static (not counting wind chill) and still stayed warm. However, at those temperatures I put on a Patagonia fleece that has large gussets in the chest and arms to let the body heat out. The Paramo looks as though it is going to fall to pieces with so many vents in it, but it does the job in harsh conditions.

#331 - 24/08/06 07:06 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Lounge Lizard Offline

Any 'rain gear' gets you hot and sweaty. Best not to bother with it and just dry yourself at the end of the day.

#332 - 24/08/06 07:25 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Arizona Frani Offline

After a brief search I could only find Peramo in UK shops and websites. I'm going to keep looking because I'm intrigued. Hey Lizard, your advice keeps improving!!?? Not using raingear works well in Arizona where the temperatures can be around 90-100 degrees F. but I'm not so sure about England.

#333 - 25/08/06 02:28 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
shmidds Offline

Loc: Ivyland, PA USA
Arizona - My wife and I are from philly, pa. We completed the C2C in July. Our choice of raingear was frogg toggs. They worked perfectly, are lightweight, and reasonably priced. I've worn them on motorcycle trips and have stayed completely dry. We did get a few strange looks though.

#334 - 25/08/06 03:08 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Here's my tuppence worth.

Choice of rainwear is dependent on whether it is windy as well.

Ponchos are great when it is not windy, as are umbrellas, and you get plenty of ventilation.

For windy conditions you can't beat a proper jacket. Most Australians walk in shorts and it doesn't really matter if legs get wet so we tend to use quite long jackets which will just cover the shorts. If it is cold we add a set of thermal (polyproplyne) long johns under the shorts. The outcome is reasonable ventilation and no constriction around the knees. The downside is that your boots fill up. In warmer conditions walking in a pair of bathers is great (I won't suggest walking in the nude [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img] after the past furore). Everything dry in the pack.

For those of you commenting on the heat this summer an umbrella/parasol is great to walk with. Stroll along under shade.

#335 - 25/08/06 05:47 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Lounge Lizard Offline

"Most Australians walk in shorts and it doesn't really matter if legs get wet", yes, but why are legs different from the rest of the body and why not just walk in boots and swimming trunks or bikini if it's not the winter ?

#336 - 26/08/06 11:21 PM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Regarding walking in bathers. As my body looks like a peeled potatoe stuck on top of two matchsticks I think that people would object if I walked in less than full gear.

#337 - 14/10/06 05:30 AM Re: New Members 2007 need rain gear suggestions
desertrat Offline

Arizona Frani
Being from Arizona (Havasu) I agree about hiking in the shorts, however, as stated here our temps are different. I finished the C2C in June and had fantastic weather except for one half day and then I was looking for a snorkel! I was wearing Gortex gear top and bottom and it rained so hard that I was soaked clear through. Wear good poly thermals, fleece, and rain gear and plan on getting wet. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917