The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2887
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35973 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3037 - 17/04/04 02:58 PM help 3 girls walking in august!
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi
me and three friends want to walk offa's dyke for the first time in august1 we are doing it for charity and will be camping out most nights. Do you think we are going to be able to complete ths walk as we are only fifteen and havnt done any walking before! we are willing to train and would welcome any advice form previous walkers!!!!
thank you!
christie xxx

#3038 - 27/04/04 09:58 AM Re: help 3 girls walking in august!
Michael Offline

Loc: Россия
Yes, you'll be fine. I'd recommend trying out walking with full rucksacks first to get used to them.

Also, if you're buying new rucksacks, make sure that you get someone in the shop to adjust them so they fit you comfortably. If that's not possible, as a rule of thumb, if you're carrying heavy packs, you want as much weight as possible on your hips and as little on your shoulders as possible. Use the chest straps to try to spread the weight around a bit more.

Also, carry plenty of Compeed 'second skin' hydrocolluloid plasters in case of blisters - they are expensive but absolutely brilliant - you can walk on a blister if you have one on. The important thing with blisters, though, is to catch them early - stop and put a plaster on if it starts to rub before it gets worse!

Hope that helps.

Michael.

#3039 - 03/06/04 05:58 PM Re: help 3 girls walking in august!
tony k Offline

Loc: UK
Sound advice from Michael.I would add that its best to do some running and some work on upper body strength in the weeks leading up to the walk.Running will knock you into shape quicker than anything else.

I met a couple of sixteen year old lads on the coast to coast and one made it and the other gave up.Unless you are injured don't let the thought of quitting enter your head.It will be very uncomfortable at times but if you remain positive you will make it.

#3040 - 22/06/04 05:26 PM Re: help 3 girls walking in august!
Anonymous
Unregistered

pack lightly, know your campsites ahead of time, and above all....bring sunscreen. i followed none of these rules when i hiked the dyke last summer, and arrived each night tired, lost, and lobster red. not that i didnt love every second of it...but i certainly couldve been more comfortable.

i hope you all have a great time!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917