The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3053 - 02/10/04 12:55 PM Record for Offa's dyke
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know the record for walking/running offas dyke?

#3054 - 20/10/04 10:03 PM Re: Record for Offa's dyke
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've just managed hiking it in seven days north-south (8th-15th Oct)and my knees and feet are still killing me! Was great fun, though. I imagine there are many who have completed it much faster.

#3055 - 24/10/04 11:11 AM Re: Record for Offa's dyke
tony k Offline

Loc: UK
I don't know if there is an offical record but I should imagine top fell runners would be able to cover the distance inside two days.As an example the Pennine Way record stands at 2 days 17 hours for the 270 mile "walk".

#3056 - 24/10/04 10:57 PM Re: Record for Offa's dyke
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys. I was just curious - I'm hoping to do it in a couple of months time. I'm hoping for 5 days max. but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

#3057 - 25/10/04 08:53 PM Re: Record for Offa's dyke
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
As I've discovered, it's difficult to find out who's who in the LDP records dept. I was advised to try 'Martin Stone martin@sportident.co.uk who is the FRA record-keeper for that sort of thing', but he's a busy man, so don't expect a speedy reply (if any) - I didn't, but if there is, I agree with Tony, it will likely be in the region of 48 hours.
I planned the route solo for five days (that elusive 5 days!!!) thus: Chepstow, Pandy, Knighton, Forden/Welshpool area, Llangollen etc..
But 2 months puts you in December and very short days, so if soloing it may well just be wishful thinking! On the other hand, it just might be possible with a theoretical 36m a day - but don't equate those miles with road miles!
With back-up in the tradition of the fell runner it's a different matter of course.
But I for one would certainly be interested in your plans and progress.

#3058 - 26/10/04 11:36 PM Re: Record for Offa's dyke
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the advice, i'll keep you posted!

#3059 - 27/10/04 08:59 PM Re: Record for Offa's dyke
Anonymous
Unregistered

5 days! Wow! My seven days were at what I thought was a fast pace (although I am new to this game). I wish you luck with the weather. It was soggy, when I did it. Had it been much wetter it would have slowed me cosiderably, especially across the Clywdians. My "Trailblazer" guide was good for fast walking when I was on the path but left me lost the few times I got off track. Next time I do a long-distance I'm taking ALL the maps with me. Have fun!

#3060 - 06/01/05 06:34 PM Re: Record for Offa's dyke
scorpioken Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian H:

Many years ago ran the length of OD as part of relay team in about 25 hours.Am thinking of revisiting this project with a new club I belong to.10% the running and 90% the logistics as you can imagine.As a follow up to your question,do any readers know of any recent attempts ?

#3061 - 13/01/05 06:12 PM Re: Record for Offa's dyke
scorpioken Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian H:

Any replies Ian.By coincidence,looking to reproduce this feat with a new running club i am associated with.Many years ago,we completed in about 25 hours which was outside the record.if you have any feedback I would be very interested ken

#3062 - 07/02/05 09:30 PM Re: Record for Offa's dyke
MorrisD Offline

5 days seems to be a common number. I am planning to run the OD path early next year in 5 days. If anyone has any usefull info, it would be gratefully received.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917