The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1678
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35942 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3074 - 22/04/05 12:03 PM ACCOMMODATION - OFFAS DYKE
sturmason Offline

Loc: solihull, west midlands
I AM PLANNING TO ATTEMPT OFFAS DYKE PATH IN 2006. I SEE THAT YOUR "EXPERTS" STRONGLY RECOMMEND PREBOOKING ACCOMMODATION. I DID THE PEMBROKESHIRE COAST PATH IN JULY 2002 AND AS A RESULT OF SIMILAR ADVICE DID JUST THAT. I FOUND IT WAS UNNECESSARY. THERE WERE PLANTY OF VACANCIES FOR B&B. THE ONLY PROBLEM WE FOUND WAS WITH THE LARGER YOUTH HOSTELS WHICH WERE PERMANENTLY FULLY BOOKED DUE TO SCHOOL PARTIES BUT THIS PROBLEM WAS EASILY OVERCOME.
FURTHERMORE PREBOOKING ACCOMMODATION COMMITS YOU TO MAKING A CERTAIN LOCATION. IF YOU ARE DOING A WALK FOR THE FIRST TIME (WHICH MANY PEOPLE DO) YOU HAVE LITTLE IDEA HOW FAR YOU WILL MAKE. WE OFTEN WALKED PAST VACANT ACCOMMODATION JUST TO MAKE OUR PREBOOKED ACCOMMODATION ARRIVING THERE LATE AND SHATTERED.
S. MASON

#3075 - 22/04/05 02:50 PM Re: ACCOMMODATION - OFFAS DYKE
HikeMania Offline

Good food for thought, sturmason (despite your caps lock being "stuck" -- ouch! [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img] )

There are pros and cons for prebooking -- one con being exactly what you described: being shattered because you have to walk as far as your prebooked accommodation for that day.

The opposite situation is the one where you've walked all day, are very tired, and now there is no accommodation available because you didn't prebook.

You have to decide which scenario is worse, and prebook (or not) accordingly.

However, there can be other factors in making that decision, based on the specific path, the available accommodation on that path, and the timing (is it a busy time of year for that path? is it the weekend?), etc.

One idea is to pre-book the first night, so that you know you'll get a good start. Then, only prebook as necessary for the places where you know accommodation is sparse, or is likely to be booked.

When we walked part of the ODP last year, we had no trouble finding accom in the good-sized towns, but we were walking at a fairly non-busy time of year. But, there were portions of the path where we wanted to stop in a fairly remote area. We prebooked those B&Bs, and we were glad we did, because there would have been no accom available had we just turned up at the end of the day.

Or, here's another idea -- we found that our mobile phone signal was good in many areas on the ODP. If you have a mobile, you could take it along with a phone list of accommodations. As you progress during each day, you'll have a better idea of where you want to finish that day. You can then phone B&Bs in the early afternoon to ensure you have a place to stay that night. It will at least give you a head start on people who turn up at the end of the day.

Best wishes on your planning. Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions.

[This message has been edited by HikeMania (edited 22 April 2005).]

#3076 - 22/05/05 12:33 PM Re: ACCOMMODATION - OFFAS DYKE
yewtrees Offline

If your looking for some great self catering accommodation, might I suggest yewtrees cottage. Ive stayed there many times and being based midway up the blackhill it has wonderful views and ready access to the offa dyke path.
http://www.yewtrees.co.uk

#3077 - 13/06/05 08:18 PM Re: ACCOMMODATION - OFFAS DYKE
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
We pre booked when we did the ODP, after the second day we walked the rest of the way with another lad we met near Monmouth. He hadnt pre booked and had no trouble getting B&B (even though he had his dog along) until Prestatyn. He would have been okay there as well, except no one would take dogs.
Dave.

#3078 - 07/05/06 04:28 PM Re: ACCOMMODATION - OFFAS DYKE
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
When I walked the offas Dyke Path fifteen years ago I appreciated being able to stay at Youth Hostels for all but one night, i.e. Maeshafh YH, Llangollen YH, Welshpool pub, Knighton YH, Cael-y-Ffin YH and Monmouth YH. I looked forward to, and then welcomed, use of the common room, members kitchen and drying room, facilities not offered by other accomodation providers.
I understand that all those Youth Hostels have either closed or are on the closure list, YHA claiming that "National Trail use is not sufficient in itself to sustain a viable Youth Hostel", and then recommending certain guesthouses instead. Can anyone comment on the facilities, value or other aspects of any of their six listed for the Offas Dyke Path, i.e.
Fron Hall Guesthouse, Bodfari,
Severn Farm, Welshpol,
Little Brompton Farm, Montgomery,
Magnolia, Bishops Castle,
Oxford Cottage Guesthouse, Hay-on-Wye, and
Riverside Hotel, Monmouth ?

#3079 - 25/05/06 10:14 AM Re: ACCOMMODATION - OFFAS DYKE
sletchet Offline

Loc: England
I will be camping along the way, does anyone who has camped the entire way have a list of good/bad campsites so i know which ones to avoid and which ones i should be looking forward to at the end of the day!
Thanks
Sam

#3080 - 25/05/06 06:59 PM Re: ACCOMMODATION - OFFAS DYKE
Captain Cook Offline

Loc: Nottingham, England
Done C2C (alternative) Arnside to Saltburn (6days), done Cleveland, done Dales, done Peddars, so myself and the Danish Invader set off from Knighton on Sunday, bound for Chepstow by Thursday. We have booked accommodation and if you are planning to be anywhere in the Hay on Wye area over this weekend and you haven't I suggest you prepare for a night under the stars. It's Hay Book Festival and even though I booked six months ago I still couldn't get a place in Hay.
Walk on.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917