The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2883
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3450 Topics
35932 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3081 - 17/05/05 04:20 PM Offas Dyke nightmare
CrazyCragRat Offline

Loc: Great Britain
Just done the Offas Dyke for the second time thinking that perhaps it was the miserable weather i had last year during the walk that spolit it.
But alas i have come to the conclusion that the walk is pants !
Nothing but stile after stile combined with yet more lousy Welsh weather.
Coupled to that the pubs are always shut, the shops on the trail are non existent and in the northern end of the trail the waymarking has been badly vandalised and the stiles are dangerous and rotten.
I would advise anybody thinking of doing a LDP for the first time to avoid the Offas Dyke like the plague.
Much prefer the Lakeland and Pennines.

#3082 - 18/05/05 05:48 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
BARBAROSA Offline

Loc: England
Oh dear, I along with 7 Canadians and 2 Americans who we met on the C2C are doing it this September. What you have said about it and other comments I have heard make me think it will be a bit of a let down after the Coast to Coast.

#3083 - 19/05/05 01:46 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
Mark Twain Offline

Loc: Melrose, MA USA
CRAZY CRAG RAT (Whatever that means!!!)

We leave for Chepstow, Wales on Sunday. We're hiking with two friends from the UK.

We did the C2C last year. Loved it. Thanks for your encouragement regarding the Offa Dyke Path. Will let you know about the great time we had enjoying Mother Nature and our friends. We can take a little (or lot) of rain and a few hundred stiles won't bother us either. The fact that the shops won't be open is considered a blessing. If we wanted that sort of vacation we could have gone to Paris or London.

#3084 - 19/05/05 02:37 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
DavidH Offline

Loc: Hilton Head Island, SC, USA
Mark Twain,
I am considering walking the Offa's Dyke trail in September. Let me know your impressions of the walk. I have walked the Pennine Way and Southern Upland Way and enjoyed both very much. Have you considered the Camino de Santiago in Spain?

David

#3085 - 19/05/05 04:02 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
CrazyCragRat Offline

Hello there Mark.Sorry to be so negative about the Offas Dyke Path but i guess you must make up your own mind once you have got a few days of the hike under your belt.
If the prospect of a few stiles doesnt deter you then please look forward to the 700+ that you will have to shinny over.I gave the ODP the benefit of the doubt by doing the walk on two different occasions at different times of the year and found it to be a gloomy and dull hike on both occasions.The one highlight of the walk was the stretch from Pandy to Hay on Wye which was most enjoyable.There were a few other memorable parts of the walk but not enough to inspire me to say that the ODP was a great trek.
The start at the marker stone at Sedbury is uninspiring and you would be ill advised to park your car in Sedbury itself as you may find your wheels missing and the vehicle standing on bricks. The termination at Prestatyn is a depressing end to the 180 mile slog and it would be advisable to end the walk at the base of the inland cliff quarry rather than risk life and limb by heading to the seafront.Just take a look at the local Pontins and you will get my drift.Anybody carying a heavily laden backpack will im sure be cursing the ODP path by their third or fourth day.I personally encourage anybody to head North and walk the high level trails.I am not against low level trails and have enjoyed walks such as the Ridgeway,Worcs Way,Cotswold way and South Coast Path but i found the ODP to be a muddy,stile ridden hike with far to many gloomy woods and fine views few and far.But everyone to their own and im sure that many will enjoy it.If you do or have done then best of luck to you.

#3086 - 19/05/05 04:08 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
CrazyCragRat Offline

Barbarosa,all the best to you and your Canadian friends.I hope the weather will be kind to you in Wales and please let me know your opinions once you have completed the ODP.If you compare the C2C to the ODP whilst you are walking then you will undoubtably be left feeling a little let down so go into the walk with an open mind and see how it goes.

#3087 - 21/05/05 05:56 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
chacho Offline

Loc: spain
Sorry for my English,

I am for Spain and I am planing to walk the full ODF this summer.

Some one please tell me it is no so terrible. I was living in Llangollen for 3 months and I have great memories of Wales. The weather was terrible but bearable and the surronding pathts of Llangollen were great.

I think it will be worth

#3088 - 26/05/05 06:56 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
FootSore Offline

Loc: UK
Did it a couple of years ago.

I agree, as long as you like farmers fields and stiles it's great!

Pandy to Hay on Way is a nice days walk along open fell and is the only highlight of the walk.

Of the ones I've done:

Penine Way
Coast 2 Coast
St.Cuthberts Way
Dales Way
Cumbrian Way
South Downs Way
North Downs Way
Cleveland Way
West Highland Way
Hadrians Wall
and Offa's Dyke Path

ODP is the worst, Hadrians Wall the 2nd worst for the record. I think the reason is they both try to follow something that was there many years ago and generally isn't anymore. So rather than find good routes they stick as close to something that isn't there as possible. Whatever you have to go through. Mainly farmers fields on both, and wallsend on one of them..

My own thoughts.

FootSore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#3089 - 03/06/05 06:17 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
Anonymous
Unregistered

The highlight of this walk for me was the stretch into Kington.

As I walked over Bradnor Hill, the mist broke the sun appeared to reveal some spectacular views of the mist filled valleys below the photos I took look like Iam in a plane surrounded by clouds.

The days walk ended with a walk across Kington Golf Course (the highest golf course in England) and a fine session in The New Inn,Kington, one of the finest unspoilt little ale houses in all England.

#3090 - 12/06/05 02:03 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
Mark Twain Offline

Loc: Melrose, MA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by BARBAROSA:
Oh dear, I along with 7 Canadians and 2 Americans who we met on the C2C are doing it this September. What you have said about it and other comments I have heard make me think it will be a bit of a let down after the Coast to Coast.

My wife and I just finished the ODP on Tuesday, flew home to Boston on Thursday. We found the hike to be a lot tougher than the C2C with not a noticeable difference in stiles climbed. There are a lot more hills to navigate than the C2C so get your legs in shape. We saw some beautiful scenery and trodded through a whole load of sheep and cow manure, not unlike that encountered on th C2C. It wasn't as exciting as the C2C but we were with good company and for the most part the B&Bs and pubs were OK. The food was typically British, meaning just fair, but we don't go for the food. I wouldn't rush out to do it again but we had a good time and next year might try the West Highland Way and Great Glen Way in Scotland. Hope these comments help.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917