The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2888
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35974 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3101 - 15/07/05 06:39 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I did the ODP a few years ago, with a pal. Due to the usual misconceptions of people, (Theres good and bad everywhere) I must admit we were a bit weary. However, apart from one B&B owned by a very strange women, everyone else, the locals, I mean, were very friendly and helpful.
Dave.

#3102 - 16/07/05 09:50 AM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
argonaut Offline

Loc: peterborough. uk
"Argonaut, I find it hard to understand how you can dislike a Nation and the Country"
TOM, met enough of them in the services, and must say, never could get any Friendships going with any of them, they were always whining & whinging, can't stand the sound of their voices, and every one i met was so tight fisted, they would'nt part with their skin if they where snakes. But i know i should'nt cast them all in the same mould, but would never go out of my way to put it right.

#3103 - 16/07/05 04:21 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
argonaut Offline

Loc: peterborough. uk
[img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] YOU KNOW WHERE I'M COMING FROM.

#3104 - 31/07/05 04:51 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
For a beautiful, stile-free (virtually) walk try the Cleveland Way. It's gorgeous.

I have no ideas why it isn't more popular. Moorland followed by beautiful coastal paths. Great stuff.

[img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#3105 - 03/08/05 01:00 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
CrazyCragRat Offline

Loc: Great Britain
Agreed Kite.
The Cleveland Way is a superb LDP and one that i have done a number of times.

#3106 - 10/08/05 02:05 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
Seyerus Offline

Loc: Bielefeld, Germany
Wow, that's a lot of negativity towards the ol' ODP, I hope that it doesn't put too many people off because I think it is one of the best LDP's in the country (for a real dull walk, the Southern Upland Way beats all!). I did it in Mar 03 and enjoyed every minute, lots of hills and mountains, loads of places to wild camp and some truly stunning views. Of course it's got some dull bits but surely all LDP's have them due to their very nature (even the daddy of 'em all, the Coast2Coast has it's dull bits, between Richmond and The Cleveland Hills springs to mind).
As someone has already said on this forum 'each to their own' but I really don't think the ODP deserves such bad press, although I do agree that Prestatyn is an awful town and I would love to see the end re-routed to finish in Rhyl!!

#3107 - 21/09/05 12:14 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
BARBAROSA Offline

Loc: England
Well my wife and I have just finished ODP with our 3 American and 5 Canadian friends we met 2 years ago on the C2C. After reading some of the very negative reports on the forum we were apprehensive about what we were in for, however we need not have feared as the Walk was Excellent. We all found it tougher than the C2C and the scenery throughout the walk was great. The weather was varied but on the whole good for some excellent views. With all things in life it is how you deal with your situation that counts, we had great company all the way, stopped in some good B and B's, taught our North American friends how to drink Guiness and generally got out of the walk what we put into it. We even got interviewed by BBC Shropshire and featured in the breakfast show.
So for all of you who read the forum and think it sounds bad, don't be put off. It is a good walk and Prestatyn is not quite as bad as you might think.

#3108 - 23/09/05 06:08 PM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Well done and well said.
Dave.

[This message has been edited by Slogger (edited 23 September 2005).]

#3109 - 30/10/05 07:54 AM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
CDNWALKER Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I walked ODP, South to North, in late May .... I enjoyed it thoroughly. The day North of Knighton was certainly challenging with ups and downs and ups and downs but otherwise it was fairly easy. Waymarking, other than just south of Redbrook, was pretty good. I had great meals in great pubs and the walkers who I met up with were very friendly (even a group of octogenarians fron New Hampshire!) Of the 12 B&Bs only one was poor but the others were good to great. The scenery was spectacular: beautiful hills and cute villages and canals etc etc. The weather was largley clear, however, it seemed to get chillier and chillier later in May. For those doing it I recommend that you wear high boots when passing through Gornel farm because of the manure and beware of viscious little dog. For the guy who "hates Wales" I might remind him that one third of the path is in England, but he probably hates that place too.

#3110 - 01/11/05 05:05 AM Re: Offas Dyke nightmare
barney44 Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I walked OD in September 2002. I had previously walked the Pennine Way and Southern Upland Way. I have since walked WHW and Great Glen Way, all alone.
Coming from Brisbane, any walking in Britain is wonderful, however I have to agree that OD was the least enjoyable of all. Admittedly, the weather wasn't very kind to me and I also fell and fractured a bone in my hand just north of Knighton (and on my 58th birthday!). I soldiered on, but crossing stiles became a real challenge!
The southern section is the better half. I finished in Prestatyn on a week day in September and it was relatively quiet, so didn't experience any problems. It is an anticlimax though.
Pennine Way was my first LDP and to me still the best, although I am doing The Ridgeway and Coast to Coast next June, so my opinion might change!
ANY LDP is a challenge and an adventure, but gives one a great sense of pride and great satisfaction when completed.
Barney

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917