The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3123 - 02/06/05 08:33 AM Abergavenney to Hay on Wye
Clarey Offline

Loc: Wales
I'm going to the Green Man Festival near Hay on Wye in August, and the nearest train station is in Hereford, about 40 miles away. So instead, we're considering getting a train to Abergavenney, then joining Offa's dyke at Pandy and walking to Hay.
How long would it take us do walk? Could it be done in a day? I've done lots of hiking during Geology field trips, but I've never just set out to get from A to B in a set time, so I have no concept of how long it takes. Would anyone recommend starting at Chepstow and taking a couple of days to get up there? Just wondering what my options are really, and any info would be great.
Thanks.

#3124 - 03/06/05 02:40 PM Re: Abergavenney to Hay on Wye
FootSore Offline

Loc: UK
Pandy to Hay is a very nice days walk along a ridge. But it is a full days walk. It took us around 7 hours to get from Pandy to Hay.

FootSore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#3125 - 03/06/05 04:07 PM Re: Abergavenney to Hay on Wye
HikeMania Offline

Yes, I agree with Footsore -- it's a beautiful walk (IMHO some of the prettiest scenery on the southern part of the ODP, if it's a nice day). And, once you climb up from Pandy to the top of the ridge, it's a fairly flat route until you begin your descent into Hay. Try to allow a full day to do it (i.e. start from Pandy in the morning -- There are places to stay in Pandy; one pub/inn is "on" the ODP, assuming they're still offering accommodation.)

If you get a reasonably early start (9am-ish), you'll be able to enjoy the walk along the ridge at a nice pace; one that won't leave you worn out by day's end. Take along a packed lunch (possibly offered by your accom in Pandy) so that you can enjoy it on the ridgeline.

One word of caution -- if it's a bad-weather day (low visibility, etc.), it may be wise to re-think your plan, and walk along the low road between Pandy and Hay. The ridge can be dangerous in poor visibility.

Best wishes!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917