The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3172 - 23/05/06 06:59 PM advice n to s or vv
solo walker Offline

Loc: liverpool
im planning to do the walk this yr and live in liverpool but dont know whether or not to walk it north to south as some books suggest or vice versa ... advise please also ill be camping to keep costs down , are there sufficient campsites along the way?

#3173 - 23/05/06 07:07 PM Re: advice n to s or vv
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Best go north to south; otherwise you'll spend the whole walk heading towards a caravan park at Prestatyn.

#3174 - 23/05/06 09:07 PM Re: advice n to s or vv
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
I never came across a caravan park on the route at Prestatyn. I know what you mean though, hardly an imaginative place to end a good walk. I will be going N to S next time but purely for the reason that I like to do LDP both ways.
Dave.

#3175 - 23/05/06 11:03 PM Re: advice n to s or vv
Kite21 Offline

Loc: Chester, UK
Best go north to south; otherwise you'll spend the whole walk heading towards a caravan park at Prestatyn. [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nice one Lounge Lizard. Funniest thing I've read in ages... [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Kite21 (edited 23 May 2006).]

#3176 - 24/05/06 09:38 AM Re: advice n to s or vv
argonaut Offline

Loc: peterborough. uk
Dont see the problem....
You spend 14 days on the Coast 2 Coast heading for a caravan site, just before you get to Robin Hoods Bay. In fact the path takes you right through it, so whats your point. ??

But Solo Walker......... the choice is yours, do it whichever way you like.

#3177 - 24/05/06 09:38 AM Re: advice n to s or vv
Lounge Lizard Offline

Topographically, it makes very little difference; you've got the same amount of ascent and descent either way.
Important considerations might be whether you live in the north or the south and whether you like your house and spouse/partner or not, i.e. whether you would be happier walking towards home or away from it - not that this is any help if you live in East Anglia or across the pond.
Best of all would be to walk it both ways as (a) being twice the distance there's twice the enjoyment, (b) you can cut down on what you carry, leaving dirty clothes at accomodation on the way out and collecting them on the way back, and (c) you can save a bit on the train fare, buying a return to either Presatyn or Chepstow rather than two singles.
Hope this helps, and have a good trip.

#3178 - 24/05/06 10:45 AM Re: advice n to s or vv
Lounge Lizard Offline

argonaut,
Caravan site or not, Prestatyn has always seemed to me much like supermarkets and dentists; you know they have to exist but you avoid them if at all possible.
Why do you think that both John Prescott and Carol Vorderman keep so quiet about having been born in Prestatyn ?
When I walked the Offas Dyke Path I was doing quite a pace on the first day down to Maeshafn, than took things a bit slower the other days knowing I was well clear of Prestatyn. Had I walked the path south to north I would have stopped a few miles short of Prestatyn and taken a taxi to Flint.

#3179 - 24/05/06 05:28 PM Re: advice n to s or vv
argonaut Offline

Loc: peterborough. uk
Then officially, you would not have completed the whole walk.
A caravan site is no different to a bridge, a kissing gate,or a stile. if its on the path you walk through it.

#3180 - 24/05/06 06:02 PM Re: advice n to s or vv
Lounge Lizard Offline

argo,
It would be of no consequence whether I had "completed the whole walk" or not; having a few days in nice countryside is all that matters.
I have nothing much against caravan sites, and have even occasionally stayed at them myself; it's just that I have no wish ever to return to Prestatyn.

#3181 - 10/03/08 01:40 AM Re: advice n to s or vv
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
Lounge....slow news day!..just meandering through the posts and see your preference for Flint v.Prestatyn.....?????????? ...have you actually been to Flint?

By the way, Maeshafn seems quite a way off the trail...no?..but,anyway, the Miners Arms is worth quitting the walk entirely for!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917