The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2889
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35977 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3186 - 12/09/06 02:51 PM Next LDP aspiration
tomread Offline

Having recently completed the Pennine Way, I am now looking to the ODP for my next LDP. I am a "Marilyn bagger", so this influences my choice of LDPs. The ODP, like the PW, goes across the summit of several Marilyns.

We like "comfortable" days, averaging something like 13/14 miles. What are the recommended stopping off points? We like youth hostels, but we don't like long off-path diversions to get to them - so Capel-y-fin doesn't look viable! Are there any places where finding accommodation is difficult? What, if any baggage forwarding services operate along the ODP?

Thanks, Tom

#3187 - 12/09/06 06:10 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
AndyWalker Offline

Tom,

I might be wrong but I get the impression that OD is not that great a LDP. Why not give the C2C a go. You'll love it.

Andy

#3188 - 12/09/06 06:41 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Hi Tom
I'm thinking of walking Glyndwr's Way next year, but starting on Offa's Dyke with my first overnight at Llanthony. The Priory has rooms and a pub, fantastic place, I would highly recommend it or the B&B across the road. From there, its an easy walk to Hay-on-Wye. I have the same agenda as you, nothing over 15 miles and preferably less.
Good luck in your planning.

#3189 - 13/09/06 06:37 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Tom, Other than walking one leg of the ODP - Horseshoe Pass to Llanarmon yn ial, which was superb - it is not a path I know much about. However, the Ramblers handbook - Walk Britain - lists Sherpa as the only baggage carriers and one web site which may be of use, www.offasdyke.demon.co.uk
They also offer a telephone number for the Offas Dyke Association - 01547 528753.
Good Luck!
Kevin

#3190 - 13/09/06 10:09 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
tomread Offline

Thanks all. According to this very site, Sherpa do not currently offer baggage transfer on the ODP. On the website you mention, which I have been studying for the past few days in conjunction with the official trail website, there are several baggage forwarders, but seemingly just one that does the whole route and not as part of a full holiday package.

It looks as though the only sensible way to break up the walk is into the 12 sections as per the official trail guide. This means that the first three days are all 17 or 18 miles - a bit more than what I would want to kick off with - but hey, I've just done the Pennine Way, so nowt to worry about!

Over the next few weeks I will gently check with the missus that she meant it when she said she would be happy for us to do another LDP!

#3191 - 14/09/06 06:29 AM Re: Next LDP aspiration
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
tom, to be honest she would probably be glad to see the back of you for a week or two.

#3192 - 14/09/06 09:21 AM Re: Next LDP aspiration
tomread Offline

Spot on LL. She made no secret of the fact that she thoroughly enjoyed the 3 weeks my son and I were away on the PW...

#3193 - 19/09/06 01:00 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
tomread Offline

It looks like the ODP generally keeps a lot closer to civilisation that the PW, and goes through plenty of towns and villages. Have previous full distance walkers taken packed lunches out with them, or eaten out en route?

Of course, will still be carrying water, and bits and bobs like fruit, energy bars etc, so might as well add some butties and go the packed lunch route again!

Can't believe I'll have to wait TWO YEARS to do the next LDP [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

#3194 - 22/09/06 12:57 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
HikeMania Offline

Quote:
Have previous full distance walkers taken packed lunches out with them, or eaten out en route?
tomread, most of the days, we walked through some sort of town or village in which we could find something suitable to eat. That is, if we were, in fact, hungry -- many times, our full breakfast carried us through the majority of the day, and we carried a small amount of nuts, fruit, and/or nutrition bars to supplement our food intake. On longer days, we were usually able to find a cafe to eat something a bit more substantial.

However, there were a few stretches of the path (e.g., along Hatterall Hill, or in the midst of the Clwydian range) where we took our lunch with us -- either a packed lunch from the previous night's B&B, or a sandwich and crisps/fruit/etc. purchased at a village shop before entering the more-remote stretches of the path.

One thing about packed lunches offered by B&Bs -- Some are quite good; others aren't so good (either in quality and/or value-for-money). As our walk progressed, we increasingly tended to buy our own snack- or lunch-supplies in a village shop, rather than pay for a packed lunch at a B&B. If you do opt for a packed lunch, you might like to ask about the planned contents before you order it.

#3195 - 19/02/07 03:06 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
tomread Offline

Now I've finished planning for the Gritstone Trail 2007, time to resume planning for the ODP 2008. Or maybe I should actually DO the GT trail first...

#3196 - 19/02/07 06:14 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
Lounge Lizard Offline

tom, Best do them both this year in case some unforeseen circumstance prevents you from doing one next year.

#3197 - 19/02/07 06:19 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
The ODP doesnt take that much planning. You have the guide books so just do it. Accomodation is easy enough to find as its not all that a busy route and I think you could even go on spec without dificulty. The only thing is, do not under estimate the walk. The fact that there is over 20,000ft of ascent and descent, and many, many high stiles to negotiate, makes it a harder walk than the Penine way. It may be a third shorter in distance but the average daily climbing is more, as its done in half the time.
Dave.

#3198 - 19/02/07 09:42 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
Lounge Lizard Offline

Slogger, I did the Offas Dyke Path North to South in six days, which was about right - any less and I might have been knackered, any more and I might have spent too long hanging around in pubs.

#3199 - 05/04/07 11:04 AM Re: Next LDP aspiration
Wyncanton Offline

Loc: Cardiff
Quote:
I did the Offas Dyke Path North to South in six days, which was about right [/B]

Blimey - just finished it in 9 days....I thought that was quite quick; quite a few 23/24 mile days!Your feet must be like iron.

#3200 - 05/04/07 05:18 PM Re: Next LDP aspiration
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Lounge Lizard,
Id be interested to know your over night stop locations for that 6 day trip. Were you camping or B&B.
Dave.

#3201 - 06/04/07 12:06 AM Re: Next LDP aspiration
Lounge Lizard Offline

Wyn, Slogger,
Fri lunch depart Prestatyn,
Fri night Maeshafn Youth Hostel,
Sat night Llangollen Youth Hostel,
Sun night Welshpool,
Mon night Knighton Youth Hostel,
Tue night Capel-y-Ffin Youth Hostel,
Wed night Monmouth Youth Hostel,
Thu lunch arrive Chepstow,
and that was in April 1991 when there were plenty of Youth Hostels well positioned for such a long distance path.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917