The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2883
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3450 Topics
35932 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3218 - 18/09/07 09:37 PM Which side of Hay Bluff?
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
From Pandy to Hay on Wye, at the northern end of Hattersall Ridge, there are two paths around Hay Bluff to the east side or to the west side. Both lead equally to Hay on Wye but is one preferred over the other? I know Lonewalker didn't make it this far but maybe someone else out there can help

#3219 - 20/09/07 04:45 PM Re: Which side of Hay Bluff?
Spartacus Offline

Loc: Cumbria, UK
You get much better views from the path that passes the trig pillar, although it is a much steeper descent than the northern-most path. So if bad knees outweigh great views its a no-brainer [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#3220 - 21/09/07 12:27 AM Re: Which side of Hay Bluff?
Gregg Offline

Ok Spartacus, now I have a map that shows the contour lines and I see what you mean about the steep descent. I'll decide which route when I get there, depends on the weather and how I feel, but I may want to save my knees and feet for the many days ahead. Thanks for the help.

#3221 - 23/09/07 09:45 PM Re: Which side of Hay Bluff?
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
go straight on over the top to the steep way down, its not that bad and its not such a long descent anyway, you may even find an ice cream van at the bottom, as we did.
Dave.

#3222 - 27/09/07 08:23 PM Re: Which side of Hay Bluff?
Spartacus Offline

Loc: Cumbria, UK
LOL, I could see the ice cream van from the top of the bluff and i think that made the descent all the longer. It had been a very hot day!!

I met a guy walking up the direct path from the car park with the biggest pack I've ever seen - he explained it was a paraglider - there are some mad buggers about [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#3223 - 04/10/07 12:33 PM Re: Which side of Hay Bluff?
Gregg Offline

I had lunch at the trig point and a friendly couple took my photo to prove it. The descent wasn't bad at all, I've done much worse like the descent to Llanthony the day before. It must be too late in the year for the ice cream truck.
Traversing the length of Hattersall Hill from Pandy to Hay Bluff was a great experience, not to be missed.

#3224 - 08/10/07 01:17 PM Re: Which side of Hay Bluff?
FootSore Offline

Loc: UK
Let the weather and your legs be your guide. If it is raining and low cloud and your legs are knackered take the easier path down and miss out out the non-existent views (low cloud).

If it is dry, sunny and you legs are OK then head out to the trig point and put up with the ascent.

My wife and I took the path to the right as it was very windy day and this put us in the lee of the hill and we found a nice sheep rub to sit and enjoy our lunch in the weak sun out of the wind.

I must confess that we found that day to be one of the easiest of the whole trip but stiles are the backpackers enemy and that day had very few.

FootSore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#3225 - 10/10/07 09:53 AM Re: Which side of Hay Bluff?
tomread Offline

I haven't done ODP (yet), but have walked many bits and bobs of it, including the 'hill-bag' of Black Mountain from the ice cream van parking area, several times. That descent from Hay Bluff is not bad at all. It is a well maintained path graded alongside the hill, and just a short section of steep grass at the end. Easy, with a pair of walking poles to save the knees.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917