The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2888
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35975 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3235 - 20/01/08 10:31 PM Look who's walking 2008
SteveInLeicester Offline

Loc: Leicester
Aplologies to Journeyman for nicking his title from the C2C thread.
I'm contemplating doing the ODP sometime between April & July 2008, just wondered who else has plans for the same this year? The Trailblazer guide advocates N-S but most people seem to prefer S-N. I did the C2C last year mostly camping but this time I might treat myself to some B&Bs, even though I feel a bit like I'm cheating!

#3236 - 21/01/08 09:06 AM Re: Look who's walking 2008
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Best do it north to south, then you don't spend all week heading towards Prestatyn.

#3237 - 21/01/08 09:08 AM Re: Look who's walking 2008
Lounge Lizard Offline

and it's only "cheating" using B & B if you do a 'runner' in the mornings !

#43045 - 17/08/08 09:28 PM Look who's walking 2008 [Re: SteveInLeicester]
edpeltor Offline

I finished it last Wednesday after just over 5 days of rain sodden camping days - I think perhaps I rushed it a bit and I'm knackered! Any one got any views on distance and days? I was only doing 30-35 miles per day - where did everyone get 12 days from?

#43046 - 17/08/08 10:29 PM Re: Look who's walking 2008 [Re: edpeltor]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
At 177 miles I guess that they were enjoying themselves looking at the views. Not all of us are either fit enough to do it in less or have a desire to do so. As this is your first post we obviously have a lot to learn from you. At "only 30-35 miles per day" you should start training for 2012! Alternatively you could try the Land's End to John O'Groats, I think the record has only got down to about 10 days.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#43048 - 18/08/08 08:28 AM Re: Look who's walking 2008 [Re: Harland]
Spartacus Offline

Loc: Cumbria, UK
Originally Posted By: Harland
At 177 miles I guess that they were enjoying themselves looking at the views. Not all of us are either fit enough to do it in less or have a desire to do so. As this is your first post we obviously have a lot to learn from you. At "only 30-35 miles per day" you should start training for 2012! Alternatively you could try the Land's End to John O'Groats, I think the record has only got down to about 10 days.

smile What an excellent reply!

#43050 - 18/08/08 10:28 AM Re: Look who's walking 2008 [Re: Harland]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Harland

I walked it north to south in six days and still had plenty of time to look at the views and visit what few pubs along the way there were worth having a few pints in. 42 miles was my longest day and I neither consider mysely unduly fit nor have any interest in sport or achieving any records. If others have a fortnight or so spare for Offas Dyke and want to take that long then so be it.

#43058 - 19/08/08 12:06 AM Re: Look who's walking 2008 [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Its all about what you are used to and what your abilities are. I do non stoppers walking continuously for sometimes 35 hours, with maybe two short stops of 20 minutes each for attention to the feet, eating and drinking on the move. I am now 62 years and still doing it and my phylosophy has always been, 'If I can do it so can you, providing you practise as much and as hard as I do, but more than anything - you have to want to do it. I have tried to walk slow, and only ever acheived it when walking with my wife. Carrying a rucsac of 36Ilbs yesterday, I did a 14 mile route near my home to practise for my forthcoming 10 day attempt on the Pennine Way. I just wanted to walk at an average 2 mph, but it seemed so slow and I ended up averaging just over 3mph. Carrying a light sac, some weeks ago I averaged almost 4mph, all walking, round the Yorkshire 3 Peaks route. Its all in the mind set. Obviously if you are wanting to walk long distances, especially when backpacking or doing non stoppers, you have to have the mental strengh and attitude to succeed, and this is developed over years of pushing the limits. A half hearted approach will lead to failure and disappointment.
I am not for a moment suggesting that everyone should walk this way, not at all. I have the utmost respect for everyone enjoying their walking the way they are happy to do so. I am merely putting forward a little explanation from one (me) as to why we, that do walk fast and far, do it, whilst those that dont, see us as rushing it.
Dave.

#43067 - 19/08/08 02:55 PM Re: Look who's walking 2008 [Re: Slogger]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Slogger
Its all about what you are used to and what your abilities are. I do non stoppers walking continuously for sometimes 35 hours, with maybe two short stops of 20 minutes each for attention to the feet, eating and drinking on the move. I am now 62 years and still doing it and my phylosophy has always been, 'If I can do it so can you, providing you practise as much and as hard as I do, but more than anything - you have to want to do it. I have tried to walk slow, and only ever acheived it when walking with my wife. Carrying a rucsac of 36Ilbs yesterday, I did a 14 mile route near my home to practise for my forthcoming 10 day attempt on the Pennine Way. I just wanted to walk at an average 2 mph, but it seemed so slow and I ended up averaging just over 3mph. Carrying a light sac, some weeks ago I averaged almost 4mph, all walking, round the Yorkshire 3 Peaks route. Its all in the mind set. Obviously if you are wanting to walk long distances, especially when backpacking or doing non stoppers, you have to have the mental strengh and attitude to succeed, and this is developed over years of pushing the limits. A half hearted approach will lead to failure and disappointment.
I am not for a moment suggesting that everyone should walk this way, not at all. I have the utmost respect for everyone enjoying their walking the way they are happy to do so. I am merely putting forward a little explanation from one (me) as to why we, that do walk fast and far, do it, whilst those that dont, see us as rushing it.
Dave.

Dave. I agree. Everybody has their own pace which they can't easily change. I would struggle to do 3 mph or less, normally do at least 4 and was quite a bit faster than that for much of a thirty mile walk the other day, not that I intended that pace it's just natural.

#43070 - 19/08/08 04:07 PM Re: Look who's walking 2008 [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Sorry that I started a bit of a fast v slow walking discussion/conflict on this message board. I guess that I got annoyed by the "where did everyone get 12 days from?". I took it as a bit of a dig against the "slower" walkers and a bit superior. LL if nothing else it has got you nearer your 1,000 posts and I genuinely do value your and other contributions although some do annoy me, I must calm down in my old age!.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917