The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3341 - 31/07/04 11:52 AM The George Inn, Hubberholme - falling standards?
mongotino Offline

Anybody had any problems here or was our party unfortunate? No cold water (...and told "you don't live here, we have to put up with it all the time") and a room so damp you could swim in it...s'pose we could have used that cold water!

#3342 - 02/08/04 10:16 AM Re: The George Inn, Hubberholme - falling standards?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The White Lion at Cray (which has become one of my favourite pubs) is an excellent alternative. Camping is no problem, (flat and not a pet toilet area!) but B&B bookings for single night stays will only be taken on weekdays (min 2 nights on w/e).

Interestingly Kevin, the landlord, tells me that the George changed hands recently - and since then his quota of locals using the White Lion had rise, noticeably.

The route via Cray is no major detour, you just end up on the North Side of the Wharfe through Langstrothdale a few miles before you would do, if you went via Hubberholme.

H

#3343 - 11/10/04 01:33 AM Re: The George Inn, Hubberholme - falling standards?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spent two nights in Hubberholme. Didn't stay at the George but had lunch and dinner there two nights. Beverages, food and service was good. Landlord was not your modern day, plastic smiling "have a nice day" type but a genuine straighforward guy. I found the whole experience very agreeable.

#3344 - 08/11/04 12:20 AM Re: The George Inn, Hubberholme - falling standards?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now this is interesting.

As someone who has visited this area for donkey's years now The George does seem to frequently change hands. Reliable local sources say, for instance, the floorboards are very thin and it's in a rundown condition generally, but on the other hand the food is commendable.

I suppose the gist of all this is to eat there but find somewhere else to spend the night!

Oh yes, the White Lion at Cray is highly recommended as well!

#3345 - 23/11/05 01:25 PM Re: The George Inn, Hubberholme - falling standards?
jeremysmith Offline

Just returned from a weekend at the George Inn. Couldn't fault it. Room 4 was warm, well kept and offered everything you could reasonably expect. Food and Beer were excellent (lovely breakfast). Barry the landlord helped with everything including a local detour from the famous triangle walk which turned out to be the best bit. "Locals" were most definately present on both nights and Shirley and Jack kept us entertained all evening with local history and gossip. Had lunch at the White Lion at Cray - enjoyed it but it doesn't feel like a local Dales pub (seems to be more of a weekender/gastro pub to me). Will be looking to return to the George in the spring.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917