The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3356 - 16/08/04 02:17 PM hi to mark & tracy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi to mark and tracy, sorry to rest of forum for the hi-jacking, we never exchanged email addresses. cheers for being great trail pals on the dales way. sorry we missed you in bowness, it was a bit bonkers there! we were flattered that they laid on the red arrows for our arrival!!

we went on the the wainwright memorial route and it went well, the dales way certainly got us battle hardened and we found it great, although the weather stayed mostly good it kept us of the tops on one day. Most interesting thing we saw were 2 young ladies doing 50 lakeland fells only in their lacey black bras and knickers for charity- saw them coming of blencathra- their last one, so maybe some of the stuff one reads on here isn't all made up!!

#3357 - 16/08/04 07:10 PM Re: hi to mark & tracy
TJ Offline

Loc: wiltshire. england
We did dalesway a few weeks ago and finished it off by doing the first day of the Wainwright memorial walk to Patterdale. I would be intersted to hear your experiences/opinions etc on the rest of it.

#3358 - 21/08/04 11:26 AM Re: hi to mark & tracy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great to hear from you,Jo & Paul.nice to see you survived your last evening without us.We had a very nice time at the Gateway Inn,& would recommend it to fellow Dales Wayers even though it is about a mile outside Burneside.Shame we missed you at Bowness for a goodbye pint,nice of you to lay on the Red Arrow display for us though.It was nice meeting you (we couldnt have aked for better trail mates).Also,well done for completing the following week in the Lakes.
PS Kettlewell Four-are you out there?

#3359 - 21/08/04 05:02 PM Re: hi to mark & tracy
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TJ:
[B]We did dalesway a few weeks ago and finished it off by doing the first day of the Wainwright memorial walk to Patterdale. I would be intersted to hear your experiences/opinions etc on the rest of it.

The Wainwright walk is very good and we really enjoyed it and stayed in some great places, any week walking in the lakes would be great but we felt the route was occasionally a bit contrived and we thought it would have been improved by leaving langdale to head into eskdale on to the coniston fells.

Wainwright never published it himself, and planned the walk as a young and inexperienced walker so its not going to be perfect, so I would say go for it but do as we did and modify it to include areas you've not been to and maybe miss out peaks you have climbed many times before or when the weather is poor.

Next time I'll sit down by the fire in the depths of winter with my set of wainwright guides and plan my own route round the lakes.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917